The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Poll) Willie Watch

JM_

2 hours ago, alfstonker said:

They need better leaders ON THE ICE - the Sedins have let us down badly and if they still think they are cutting it on the 1st line then they are delusional. They are the common denominator here imo.

Agreed, but because they are the common denominator, then the coach needs to at the very least, split them up for 5 games including the PP. Cut the cord and roll the dice. The team has nothing to lose here and way more to gain if the Sedin's create some chemistry on separate lines and the PP. We have them for another year and a half so why not try it.

Daniel- Sutter - Eriksson

Granny- Henrik- Hansen

leave the B's alone

5 minutes ago, nuck-lifer said:

Agreed, but because they are the common denominator, then the coach needs to at the very least, split them up for 5 games including the PP. Cut the cord and roll the dice. The team has nothing to lose here and way more to gain if the Sedin's create some chemistry on separate lines and the PP. We have them for another year and a half so why not try it.

Daniel- Sutter - Eriksson

Granny- Henrik- Hansen

leave the B's alone

I totally agree. They need to find a new style because teams have figured out how to check them. The league has got faster and they were never quick. They are very skilled and their skills should be mixed into the line up. We have all seen them play without each other and they did fine. If they are surrounded with speed and have to do something other than cycle the puck they might do just fine.

29 minutes ago, appleboy said:

If you look at the plus minus for the forwards in last nights game you get the answer to what went wrong.

The twins were out of gas.

When you have a rookie team you expect the vets to help to over come the jitters. The future is bright and fans need to relax and take the lumps as they come. The kids were good last night and Baer was outstanding.

Team 1040 is preparing the lynch mob but why fire Willie. Who would want this job unless it comes with an honest  "we are in a rebuild". Stating that they are in a rebuild will only let the team off the hook and allow them to stop working hard. The one thing that Linden wants is a team that is always pushed to compete and anyone who is stating that they say their goal is to make the playoffs is not paying attention. Their goal is to compete every night and if you don't win it gets harder to do but that goal must be maintained.

b

The problem with your theory is that the players already know exactly what this team is.  Calling it a rebuild, competitive team, playoff team whatever is just window dressing. The players on the ice are playing to win, they just aren't good enough to do it consistently and not well coached enough to overcome some of their deficiencies in a league with parity. 

The kids are playing hard and some vets (Burr, Hansen) are built to always give it their all.  The rest of the vets aren't earning their pay and re-labeling the kind of team this is won't change that.

A different approach to coaching by not deploying the same old tired PP and o-zone starts may improve things or it may not as this team is really stuck with the likes of the Sedins, Eriksson, Edler until they decide they don't want to play any more.   As you can't send them down and they would never dare sit them out (and WD does not appear willing or able to split them up or discipline their often sloppy/lazy play), the team's fate is being determined by those few players and their contracts.

8 hours ago, 6YPE said:

Rebuilding the back end was a pretty good start IMO. 

Yes, but that's only part of the rebuild.  Again, it's this half measures philosophy.  How about rebuilding the back end, while moving out older guys for picks?  Why not do BOTH?

6 minutes ago, DIBdaQUIB said:

The problem with your theory is that the players already know exactly what this team is.  Calling it a rebuild, competitive team, playoff team whatever is just window dressing. The players on the ice are playing to win, they just aren't good enough to do it consistently and not well coached enough to overcome some of their deficiencies in a league with parity. 

The kids are playing hard and some vets (Burr, Hansen) are built to always give it their all.  The rest of the vets aren't earning their pay and re-labeling the kind of team this is won't change that.

A different approach to coaching by not deploying the same old tired PP and o-zone starts may improve things or it may not as this team is really stuck with the likes of the Sedins, Eriksson, Edler until they decide they don't want to play any more.   As you can't send them down and they would never dare sit them out (and WD does not appear willing or able to split them up or discipline their often sloppy/lazy play), the team's fate is being determined by those few players and their contracts.

If you bring in a new coach now, you will see an adjustment period and they may struggle even more. A new coach will implement new systems and the year will for sure be a wash. I would leave WD until the offseason and maintain stability. I don't think Willie has done well at this level. He dose not make adjustments very quickly and gets out coached all of the time.

The way he has used his goal tenders is half the problem.  They should have been alternated to keep them fresh. This years schedule dictated it and the back to backs were no surprise.

5 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Yes, but that's only part of the rebuild.  Again, it's this half measures philosophy.  How about rebuilding the back end, while moving out older guys for picks?  Why not do BOTH?

You would like an al rookie team?

In most cases I think the GM would fire the coach to buy himself some more time. 

Personally I think it's better to let the GM go. I don't trust the current management with choosing a new coach, trading players/assets or making any further moves. Let the next group decide. 

No matter who the coach is, it's only part of the problem IMO. 

2 minutes ago, Canada Hockey Place said:

In most cases I think the GM would fire the coach to buy himself some more time. 

Personally I think it's better to let the GM go. I don't trust the current management with choosing a new coach, trading players/assets or making any further moves. Let the next group decide. 

No matter who the coach is, it's only part of the problem IMO. 

So what if the new GM is given a win now agenda by ownership?

2 minutes ago, appleboy said:

You would like an al rookie team?

No, but I (along with many fans) would like the vets being the ones sprinkled throughout the lineup.  Our rear guard looks good now, and is fun to watch: Stecher, Tryamkin, Hutton especially.  Trade FRIGGIN Edler and Tanev - they are not needed.  With the forwards the Twins and Errikson (STUPID move signing him) are locked in, but the rest of the older guys should go.

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

No, but I (along with many fans) would like the vets being the ones sprinkled throughout the lineup.  Our rear guard looks good now, and is fun to watch: Stecher, Tryamkin, Hutton especially.  Trade FRIGGIN Edler and Tanev - they are not needed.  With the forwards the Twins and Errikson (STUPID move signing him) are locked in, but the rest of the older guys should go.

Tanev and Edler are not needed..LOL. The back end is a tire fire right now with them missing. Benning even said it's hard to make a trade right now, insiders have said as much as well as trade market being dead due to a lot of factors. The last thing you want is Benning panicking and dealing from a position of weakness, other GM's wait for that with knives sharpened.

20 minutes ago, appleboy said:

If you bring in a new coach now, you will see an adjustment period and they may struggle even more. A new coach will implement new systems and the year will for sure be a wash. I would leave WD until the offseason and maintain stability. I don't think Willie has done well at this level. He dose not make adjustments very quickly and gets out coached all of the time.

The way he has used his goal tenders is half the problem.  They should have been alternated to keep them fresh. This years schedule dictated it and the back to backs were no surprise.

Well that depends, when Dan Bylsma came in to replace Therrien, he took the Pens to the cup.

So a new coach could probably change the way the team works.  Maybe he'll have the brains to move the Sedins to 2nd line.

I said it after the last game and I still believe t to be true:  management is loyal to a fault to what it has created, including having Willie as a coach of this team; and because of that, Willie will not be fired this season barring an epic losing streak of 15 to 20 games.  For better or worse, we are all stuck with this mess.  Probably a bit old school, but a good bag skate or two before the next game would get the attention of the players who play with pride and still give good, honest effort.  They would show up the next game, as they have most games this season, with fire in their bellies to prove the coach wrong, and quite possibly shame some of the passengers on the team to try harder.  Might also open Willie's eyes to the realities of the Canucks as a team in 2016:  they are for the most part a young team with young players who deserve a chance to succeed; the older players need to have their time on ice managed more stringently to ensure that they remain as effective as possible; the Sedins need to operate on different lines and powerplay units for the good of the team; the team as a whole is not good enough defensively to play the system they are using, so try to play to their strengths instead.    

8 minutes ago, Creepy Crawler said:

Not sure what "well connected little birdy" that is, but... yeah there it is.

Who is this Mortissette?

Take with a grain of salt.  WD getting the AXE as soon as team gets back. 

Whats the difference between Alf's prediction and this Alanis Morissette?

5 hours ago, samurai said:

willy has got a crap mandate, make the playoffs with a really bad team that should be auctioned off and a fan base that just wants change.  He will not be back next year but you wonder if he will get another chance in the show because of this.  Good coaches always choose the right job.

But, they were a playoff team in his first season, remember? Now, granted, since then - his bizarre line combos aside - he can coach only the players GMJB gives him to work with...

When have I heard that scenario before? Hmm...

5 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Who is this Mortissette?

Take with a grain of salt.  WD getting the AXE as soon as team gets back. 

Whats the difference between Alf's prediction and this Alanis Morissette?

Alanis is still hot.

Archived