The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Poll) Willie Watch

JM_

8 minutes ago, 'NucK™ said:

you sure are trying hard to put words in my mouth..

you said there is nothing wrong with WD. I think there is something wrong with WD. that's it.... not sure why you are brining up all this other stuff 

Of coarse you do its the trendy thing to do right now. Go follow your friends little lamb, it's all WD. We are an underachiever due to bad coaching. 100%

Just now, LaBamba said:

Of coarse you do its the trendy thing to do right now. Go follow your friends little lamb, it's all WD. We are an underachiever do to bad coaching. 100%

LOL. are you trolling right now? yet another thing I never said...

I don't like WD for a pretty simple reason... I want to see our young players more and he refuses to play them. I thought someone who says the team is crap would support that but I guess you prefer to watch the Sedins skate in circles and Hansen forechecking by himself 

8 minutes ago, 'NucK™ said:

LOL. are you trolling right now? yet another thing I never said...

I don't like WD for a pretty simple reason... I want to see our young players more and he refuses to play them. I thought someone who says the team is crap would support that but I guess you prefer to watch the Sedins skate in circles and Hansen forechecking by himself 

Every single figure in management has said directly or indirectly "this isn't about developing players it's about winning now" you think that's WD's idea? Is he the Owner, president, GM and coach? That is not the organizational goal. JV development is dead to Management. JV has to develop himself. Is it right? You be the judge. But it ain't WD. 

19 minutes ago, 'NucK™ said:

you sure are trying hard to put words in my mouth..

you said there is nothing wrong with WD. I think there is something wrong with WD. that's it.... not sure why you are brining up all this other stuff.

for example you say we are complete crap and support WD, so can can you explain why its good to play JV 7 mins a game when all the forwards would benefit from playing 12-18 (for development and reducing wear n tear on the high minute guys)

Virtanen is averaging 10 mins a game. More than Dorsett and on par with Burrows/Skille/Gaunce. I want him to succeed so bad but the guy has been invisible this year, I don't think it's a coaching issue either. 

1 minute ago, LaBamba said:

Every single figure in Megan management has said directly or indirectly "this isn't about developing players it's about winning now" you think that's WD's idea? Is he the Owner, president, GM and coach? That is not the organizational goal. JV development is dead to Management. JV has to develop himself. Is it right? You be the judge. But it ain't WD. 

JV development is dead to management? How do you know that? and I hope it isn't true..

3 minutes ago, 'NucK™ said:

JV development is dead to management? How do you know that? and I hope it isn't true..

If management cared about JV's development over Now he would be getting some of the best mentoring in hockey under Travis Green. 

3 minutes ago, Gudbransons_Elbow said:

Virtanen is averaging 10 mins a game. More than Dorsett and on par with Burrows/Skille/Gaunce. I want him to succeed so bad but the guy has been invisible this year, I don't think it's a coaching issue either. 

Burrows Skille Dorsett so all 12th/13th forwards, and I still see more potential in underperforming Virtanen than Gaunce who has impressed. Okay so 10 mins avg, 12:26 being his busiest game, so WD makes that decision probably 15 minutes into the game so sees him for 2-3 shifts.. I still can't approve. If JB is telling him to not play Virt cause we need to win now and he doesn't provide enough, this management truly is clueless and trying to "win" with a team full of rookies and aging vets

5 minutes ago, LaBamba said:

If management cared about JV's development over Now he would be getting some of the best mentoring in hockey under Travis Green. 

But see this just sounds so backwards to me.. :/

youre saying they need his 10 mins of icetime so bad that they can't send him to Utica, yet he just isnt QUITE good enough to earn 16 minutes next to horvat? sorry even if this is true you must admit its hard to believe 

1 minute ago, 'NucK™ said:

But see this just sounds so backwards to me.. :/

youre saying they need his 10 mins of icetime so bad that they can't send him to Utica, yet he just isnt QUITE good enough to earn 16 minutes next to horvat? sorry even if this is true you must admit its hard to believe 

Who replaces jake in the lineup? 

I don't think it's the coaches' fault. It's the lack of goal scoring wingers this team lacks. We have Boeser in the wings ready to blow the NHL apart next year but who else do we really have? We have Rodin who's looking to be a promising prospect. Possibly a couple college prospects in Lockwood and Gaudette as well. We're lacking that finisher and that's why the team is what it is today

Jake Virtanen is 20 and not McDavid or Matthews. I wouldn't count on him producing or punishing for a few years. When he puts it all together, he'll be deadly.

He's invisible because he's 20 and not McDavid or Matthews yet people are expecting him to be Jake Virtanen 2020 right now.

If no one else can score, we can't expect Jake 2016 to carry the team.

Not Willie's fault. We weren't scoring before he got here.

2 hours ago, LaBamba said:

Ya cause JV is going to score 4 goals against the Montreal Canadiens to win the game and the hearts of millions across the nation. Snap out of it man. If I was WD or JB I would sent his punk a$$ down the second he beaked off about his playing time. 

good thing your not involved in anyway with canucks  jakes has our best corsi  was only forward with a plus 1 plus minus other than hansen  he should be playing 19 mins a game not 7 

2 hours ago, 'NucK™ said:

^ lol not sure about the "dont need the sedins" comment. we dont need them for tanking if thats what you mean. 

your post reminds me of another thing that WD seems to not appreciate, is physical players. pedan was available like 14 games last year? wd played him in 2..

completely ineffective "PP defensemen" like weber and larsen (come on guys dont fool yourselves these are not actual PP dmen.. stecher on the other hand may be) being utilized over effective shutdown dmen who generate 1 less scoring chance but prevent 3 more. hard not to criticize someone so stubborn 

fully agree  pedans ten times the player weber and larsen are   this coach should have been fired after flames beat them in playoffs hes a mickey mouse coach 

With this team I don't see the point in changing something for the sake of changing something. It may work with talented-laden teams that are underperforming. This team isn't. This roster will have to work hard and grind out narrow wins and this is what Willie ist trying to do.

How are the suggestions any better? Travis Green is a developmental coach whose team is currently last in its division. You can say he has a weak team to work with. Well, this exactly same argument applies to WD. Doug Jarvis is 61 years old and has never been a head coach in the NHL.

4 hours ago, S'all Good Man said:

I've seen enough. I do not believe that Willie has the ability to turn this around for several reasons:

1. You can't get any more effort out of these guys.

2. The kids are not being played enough.

3. Willie is convinced the only way with this team is winning 1-0 or 2-1 games.

So, in that spirit, how many more losses will it take for a coaching change, and who should replace Willie?

And for the Willie supporters (you know who you are), please elaborate on why this guy with this system is a good idea and why it should be stuck with instead of just trashing people who want a change. 

Where's the option for not firing Willie?

1. So you agree the coach is getting everything out of his guys. That's good.

2. I thought you said he can't get any more out of these guys.

3. Considering #1 & #2 + our lack of scoring, he's right.

Why fire a coach who, according to you, can't get any more out of the players he has? If there's nothing more there, what can another coach do?

5 hours ago, Baggins said:

Where's the option for not firing Willie?

1. So you agree the coach is getting everything out of his guys. That's good.

2. I thought you said he can't get any more out of these guys.

3. Considering #1 & #2 + our lack of scoring, he's right.

Why fire a coach who, according to you, can't get any more out of the players he has? If there's nothing more there, what can another coach do?

No I don't agree that Willie is getting everything out of them. What I said was "You can't get any more effort out of these guys."

Big difference between effort and how you structure a team, don't you think? Seeing how hard our guys work tells me its not them thats the problem.

Don't you find it the least bit telling that the Sedin's and Loui can generate a point per game internationally, but under Willie they "must" be separated due to lack of production? Or putting Horvat on the 4th line? Or not playing your best performers? 

You have to assume Willie has put forward the best ideas he's ever had, the culmination of his career to date, and he's produced what I would say is the worst start since early expansion years.  

Archived