The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Poll) Willie Watch

JM_

13 hours ago, hearditall said:

:lol: Ummm??? :picard: :sadno:

Yes they scouted & watched him play MANY MANY times. U don't draft Demko & Boeser back to back years without watching the whole ND Team play especially the chemistry Boeser & Stecher had...

They got to see a lot of Stecher before they signed him. :shock:

That's why JB was after Caggulia as well. :towel:

What I meant was it's not like he was a secret. Boeser in my eyes, would be classified as a stealth pick. Stecher was a pretty high profile UFA. 

Seriously man, it's time to just let it go. You care about the team, I care about team and we react to things differently. I'm sorry if I ever offended you, there is no reason for me to dislike someone who is ultimately on my side. If you wanna continue to quote and dissect every little thing I say then have atter if it makes you feel better, but I am personally tired of the meaningless bickering and I'm sure it annoys the people who read the thread. 

1 hour ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

I wonder if Claude Julien being on the hot seat has any impact on canucks future coaching decisions.  Personally, maybe it's just me holding a grudge, but I would have a hard time seeing him on our bench after what happened 2011.

I'd be very disappointed if we brought him on. Benning coming from management was one thing, but bringing in the coach who won the cup against us in the final? It's been a while but that's still a bitter pill to swallow. I hope he ends up with Florida or something if he does get the axe.

1 minute ago, Coconuts said:

I'd be very disappointed if we brought him on. Benning coming from management was one thing, but bringing in the coach who won the cup against us in the final? It's been a while but that's still a bitter pill to swallow. I hope he ends up with Florida or something if he does get the axe.

Would be like the days of bringing in Keenan and Messier all over again.

3 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

One thing is for sure Julien wouldn't last long on the open market.  NYI or FLA could make sense.  Just a feeling that JB and his relationship might come into consideration. And considering how hard they pushed for Lucic, is makes me wonder.

The guy is a really good coach, but he's also been the symbol of the bruins over our rivalry.  Something that would be hard to get over. 

3 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Would be like the days of bringing in Keenan and Messier all over again.

Similar, yeah. I'm definitely not for it regardless of who he is as a coach. If were closer to contending it might be a bit more bearable but we're nowhere near that yet.

1 minute ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

One thing is for sure Julien wouldn't last long on the open market.  NYI or FLA could make sense.  Just a feeling that JB and his relationship might come into consideration. And considering how hard they pushed for Lucic, is makes me wonder.

The guy is a really good coach, but he's also been the symbol of the bruins over our rivalry.  Something that would be hard to get over. 

True, if he gets the axe someone will grab him. The Isles or Panthers being the two likely landing points as he could probably squeeze something out of both teams.

The relationship bit is hard to gauge for sure, it's food for thought. But like you said, he's a good coach who'd likely leave a sour taste in the mouth of many a fan. That being said, winning has a way of changing things and he's certainly competent. I personally wouldn't be a fan of such a move though.

On ‎23‎/‎01‎/‎2017 at 9:08 PM, Coconuts said:

Similar, yeah. I'm definitely not for it regardless of who he is as a coach. If were closer to contending it might be a bit more bearable but we're nowhere near that yet.

True, if he gets the axe someone will grab him. The Isles or Panthers being the two likely landing points as he could probably squeeze something out of both teams.

The relationship bit is hard to gauge for sure, it's food for thought. But like you said, he's a good coach who'd likely leave a sour taste in the mouth of many a fan. That being said, winning has a way of changing things and he's certainly competent. I personally wouldn't be a fan of such a move though.

Not sure. Think there would be too much hard feelings for a lot of fans to stomach...

He would definitely have to win A LOT to make me support that sweaty pig.

He was a poor loser in 2011 and an ever worse winner...

On ‎23‎/‎01‎/‎2017 at 8:58 PM, Coconuts said:

That would be the Florida swamps...

On 2017-01-18 at 11:56 AM, S'all Good Man said:

Wille would have to actually win a playoff series for that to happen. Whats so frustrating about Wilbrod is he has to be forced to make moves. I stand by the comment that its only through injuries that we have the lineup we see today. While its true injuries provide opportunities on every team, it seems like Willie needs to have no other options available before he'll try something new. 

You're in denial.

The team hasn't played well because injuries opened the door for one Troy Stecher - or the inevitable - Tryamkin getting in game shape and - no-brainer - winding up back in the lineup like the end of last year.

How the team fares without Tanev and Edler ought to give you an indication of what it's capable of when reasonably healthy.  Those two - and Hansen - are far more key than any rookie or AHLer you can refer to as if WD has been fortunate due to injuries.  Twisted logic S'all - and really just an attempt to rescue a Willie Watch that underestimated how good a coach he is.  People can micro-dwell on lineup decisions all they want - the underlying reality is that - even with a handful of AHLers - the team is doing pretty well -and that  can't be separated from either his systems and coaching, or the level of buy-in and commitment that he's getting from the entire roster.

6 minutes ago, oldnews said:

You're in denial.

The team hasn't played well because injuries opened the door for one Troy Stecher - or the inevitable - Tryamkin getting in game shape and - no-brainer - winding up back in the lineup like the end of last year.

How the team fares without Tanev and Edler ought to give you an indication of what it's capable of when reasonably healthy.  Those two - and Hansen - are far more key than any rookie or AHLer you can refer to as if WD has been fortunate due to injuries.  Twisted logic S'all - and really just an attempt to rescue a Willie Watch that underestimated how good a coach he is.  People can micro-dwell on lineup decisions all they want - the underlying reality is that - even with a handful of AHLers - the team is doing pretty well -and that  can't be separated from either his systems and coaching, or the level of buy-in and commitment that he's getting from the entire roster.

I'm not rescuing anything. I've said in a number recent posts WD deserves a lot of credit for developing the kids. I also made an "am I wrong about Willie" thread since then. I'm open to changing my mind on things if the data supports it. I have no personal feelings about Willie or a particular stand on him whatsoever. 

Now, on the topic of players getting spots, I'll use Larsen as an e.g. That went on for far too long before trying Stecher did it not? 

Yes I do think Willie waits for spots to open via injury, and yes he's not willing to try players out very quickly. Boucher e.g., would it really be the end of things to see him in for Skille? 

13 minutes ago, S'all Good Man said:

I'm not rescuing anything. I've said in a number recent posts WD deserves a lot of credit for developing the kids. I also made an "am I wrong about Willie" thread since then. I'm open to changing my mind on things if the data supports it. I have no personal feelings about Willie or a particular stand on him whatsoever. 

Now, on the topic of players getting spots, I'll use Larsen as an e.g. That went on for far too long before trying Stecher did it not? 

Yes I do think Willie waits for spots to open via injury, and yes he's not willing to try players out very quickly. Boucher e.g., would it really be the end of things to see him in for Skille? 

Come on S'all.  Stecher spent all of 4 games in the AHL.  His first game he was over 20 minutes and has been virtually every night since.  You're grasping real hard here.

This is a pretty good example of ignoring reality to suit a story.  Larsen was a lottery ticket that turned into a stop gap - the only reason people piss and moan about Larsen is because Benning furnished Y'all with so much young talent on the blueline that he was eclipsed pretty quickly.  The other thing that extended Larsen's shot was simply the routine falling of key guys like Tanev, Edler - so the reverse of your assertion/assumption is every bit as true - Larsen was the guy that remained in the lineup longer than in all likelihood would have been the case, simply because the blueline has been depleted.  Is there an argument that Biega would have been a better option - yes, we can hindsight any roster decision - but Larsen had a skillset they were looking for - that Stecher quickly provided another viable option.

You also could have pencilled Tryamkin in from day 1 had he shown up in condition.  Water under the bridge - but let's not be daft enough to assume that Willie is - and that neither he nor Green would be able to identify young players earning a shot in the lineup.

Much ado about Rodin as well - who was simply never healthy....but, but, that was WD's fault, who would just never give him a chance.

Now folks are desperately seeking a replacement victim - in steps Boucher.  If anyone saw Boucher's one game, and paid attention, they may have noticed why it's taking him some time to earn some minutes.

Skille has been bloody excellent btw.  Suggesting he shouldn't be in the lineup imo also illustrates how off these complaints are.

7 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Come on S'all.  Stecher spent all of 4 games in the AHL.  His first game he was over 20 minutes and has been virtually every night since.  You're grasping real hard here.

This is a pretty good example of ignoring reality to suit a story.  Larsen was a lottery ticket that turned into a stop gap - the only reason people piss and moan about Larsen is because Benning furnished Y'all with so much young talent on the blueline that he was eclipsed pretty quickly.  The other thing that extended Larsen's shot was simply the routine falling of key guys like Tanev, Edler - so the reverse of your assertion/assumption is every bit as true - Larsen was the guy that remained in the lineup longer than in all likelihood would have been the case, simply because the blueline has been depleted.  Is there an argument that Biega would have been a better option - yes, we can hindsight any roster decision - but Larsen had a skillset they were looking for - that Stecher quickly provided another viable option.

You also could have pencilled Tryamkin in from day 1 had he shown up in condition.  Water under the bridge - but let's not be daft enough to assume that Willie is - and that neither he nor Green would be able to identify young players earning a shot in the lineup.

Much ado about Rodin as well - who was simply never healthy....but, but, that was WD's fault, who would just never give him a chance.

Now folks are desperately seeking a replacement victim - in steps Boucher.  If anyone saw Boucher's one game, and paid attention, they may have noticed why it's taking him some time to earn some minutes.

Conditioning. Now, assuming he's up to speed, would you be opposed to trying him for Megna or Skille? 

You're conveniently ignoring the training camp Stecher had. And that goofy Megna-Sedins experiment that went on too long. Sure its nitpicking, but this team is likely going to make the playoffs by 1 or 2 pts, the small stuff matters. But who knows, another coach may have screwed up Baer's development and we'd be 10 pts out already. 

You can moan about me all you want, but at least I'm willing to say when I'm wrong. Willie's turned out to be like a lot of folks said, an ok coach thanks to the development of Bo, Baer, Granny, Stecher and Tryamkin. 

1 minute ago, S'all Good Man said:

Conditioning. Now, assuming he's up to speed, would you be opposed to trying him for Megna or Skille? 

You're conveniently ignoring the training camp Stecher had. And that goofy Megna-Sedins experiment that went on too long. Sure its nitpicking, but this team is likely going to make the playoffs by 1 or 2 pts, the small stuff matters. But who knows, another coach may have screwed up Baer's development and we'd be 10 pts out already. 

You can moan about me all you want, but at least I'm willing to say when I'm wrong. Willie's turned out to be like a lot of folks said, and ok coach thanks to the development of Bo, Baer, Granny, Stecher and Tryamkin. 

Key word.   assuming.

Archairs at home that know Boucher 'deserves' a shot. 

No one ignored Stecher lol - where do you come up with this nonsense - as if 4 games in the AHL were a Travis-ty.  Again you're trying too hard.

In the end, you're half-revising your story (great), while the other half remains 'uh, Willie's lucky that the young players thriving under him are making him look like a good coach.'  Wadr, nice story.

Just now, oldnews said:

Key word.   assuming.

Archairs at home that know Boucher 'deserves' a shot. 

No one ignored Stecher lol - where do you come up with this nonsense - as if 4 games in the AHL were a Travis-ty.  Again you're trying too hard.

In the end, you're half-revising your story (great), while the other half remains 'uh, Willie's lucky that the young players thriving under him are making him look like a good coach.'  Wadr, nice story.

meh. read my posts.

Boucher was a prolific scorer in the minors, and was good enough for a look in NJ, its not "armchair" he's worth a decent look. 

I'm not "revising my story" its called being open to results, giving credit where due, and not being an inflexible old fud. You might want to try it sometime. 

old-man-at-computer.jpeg

2 minutes ago, S'all Good Man said:

meh. read my posts.

Boucher was a prolific scorer in the minors, and was good enough for a look in NJ, its not "armchair" he's worth a decent look. 

I'm not "revising my story" its called being open to results, giving credit where due, and not being an inflexible old fud. You might want to try it sometime. 

old-man-at-computer.jpeg

You'll be real lucky is you pickle as well as that oldtimer (or me ;)). 

Or ever know a whiff of what watched Willie does.

2 minutes ago, oldnews said:

You'll be real lucky is you pickle as well as that oldtimer (or me ;)). 

Or ever know a whiff of what watched Willie does.

No, I'll be lucky if I never think I know everything there is to know. 

Archived