The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Did Planned Tanking and Management Blow Up Work?

TheGuardian_

April 11, 2014, Leafs hire Shanahan, hire Babcock April 25, 2015, hire Lou Lamoriello

April 25, 2015, Oilers hire Peter Chiarelli, May 19, 2015, hire Todd McLellan

April 9, 2014, Canucks hire Linden., May 21, 2014, hire Jim Benning, June 23, 2014 hire Willie Desjardins

All three teams cleaned management's house, new coaches, GM's, Presidents

The Oilers and the Leafs had been re-tooling or rebuilding for a decade before this total clean out, both teams had been fighting to merely try to make the playoffs, both teams had management constantly telling the fans, they thought they were competitive teams, they were close, they had to draft and grow their players in the minors. Toronto's farm team was very good, Edmonton's not so much. But having a good farm team didn't translate into a good NHL team, the difference between leagues is just enough that good AHL players very rarely make a difference in the NHL.

The Canucks had missed the playoffs only once in the previous 6 years before cleaning house, in those years the best draft position came through a trade, the trade that brought Horvat to the team, before that they had drafted, 26th, 29th, 115th, 22nd, 10th and 25th as their 1rst pick.

The Leafs had made the playoffs once in 9 years but their draft spots were, not in 5, 7, 43, 22, 5, 21 and 8th before hiring Shanahan. All the while trying to retool/improve the team for a playoff spot. 

The Oilers, well the Oilers had the NHL invent a new rule, that bad.

Since the rearranging of management, for the Oilers the draft didn't change much, they got lucky with McDavid.

The Leafs were starting their "planned and controlled" dive in the standings in 2015 dipping around 20 pts from 2014 and then DL in 2016 and drafting Mathews.

The Canucks drafted (6 th, 24th), 23rd and 5th, none of these players are playing for the team.

The improvement of the Leafs and Oilers this year is sometime attributed to luck, but this luck coincides with decisions of ownership to gut management and install the very best they could hire to run the team. The Leafs still insist they aren't done yet but the 9 point improvement and 26 to 11 th in the standings, at this date, will probably alter their goals as they look to be a lock in for the playoffs.

The lucky Oilers also look to be locks for the playoffs with a 14 point and moving from 29th to 10th in the league improvement suggests.

The Canucks are fighting for a playoff spot, they still have about the same number of points as last year.

In the past other teams have planned the dive Tampa twice, Pittsburgh twice, Washington once, Chicago once, Montreal once, Philly twice, Florida (Tallon) and Arizona ongoing. some team tried and failed, no one remembers them except some that want to point out it doesn't work, it doesn't, not all the time but how many remember Patrick White?

22 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Other than Toronto and Buffalo, I don't think any of the teams mentioned above planned to tank.

Regardless of planning to tank, or just being bad, our next core just doesn't match up with too many other teams.  I think we are at least two cycles of core groups away from competing.  I feel for a guy like Bo, who will play his entire career without really having a chance at a Cup.  

Just now, chilliwiggins said:

I agree and I see another regime away from being taken seriously

That's so true.  There is an assumption here (by many) that a rebuild automatically means a Cup competitive team.  It's just not the case.  God, just look at the youthful emerging cores in Edmonton and Calgary.  Honestly, will our next core compete with those two teams?  You're right about another management group will come here, and rebuild their next core.  Are we looking at 10 years away from maybe competing?

I would like to say that the core of this team is being assembled right about now, with some that'll go before this team can be considered a contender.  If I was the management team, I'd be aiming at the 2019-2021 timetable, right about when teams will be pricing themselves out of competitive ness with their superstars that are on ELC's right now.

Why are we hashing over the same drivel every couple of weeks.

WE ALL GET IT!  TORONTO HAS A GREAT MANAGEMENT AND WE DON"T.  THEY HAVE GREAT PROSPECTS AND WE DON"T.

Why not go and become a Leaf and leave us to **** alone.:rolleyes:

1 hour ago, TheGuardian_ said:

April 11, 2014, Leafs hire Shanahan, hire Babcock April 25, 2015, hire Lou Lamoriello

April 25, 2015, Oilers hire Peter Chiarelli, May 19, 2015, hire Todd McLellan

April 9, 2014, Canucks hire Linden., May 21, 2014, hire Jim Benning, June 23, 2014 hire Willie Desjardins

All three teams cleaned management's house, new coaches, GM's, Presidents

The Oilers and the Leafs had been re-tooling or rebuilding for a decade before this total clean out, both teams had been fighting to merely try to make the playoffs, both teams had management constantly telling the fans, they thought they were competitive teams, they were close, they had to draft and grow their players in the minors. Toronto's farm team was very good, Edmonton's not so much. But having a good farm team didn't translate into a good NHL team, the difference between leagues is just enough that good AHL players very rarely make a difference in the NHL.

The Canucks had missed the playoffs only once in the previous 6 years before cleaning house, in those years the best draft position came through a trade, the trade that brought Horvat to the team, before that they had drafted, 26th, 29th, 115th, 22nd, 10th and 25th as their 1rst pick.

The Leafs had made the playoffs once in 9 years but their draft spots were, not in 5, 7, 43, 22, 5, 21 and 8th before hiring Shanahan. All the while trying to retool/improve the team for a playoff spot. 

The Oilers, well the Oilers had the NHL invent a new rule, that bad.

Since the rearranging of management, for the Oilers the draft didn't change much, they got lucky with McDavid.

The Leafs were starting their "planned and controlled" dive in the standings in 2015 dipping around 20 pts from 2014 and then DL in 2016 and drafting Mathews.

The Canucks drafted (6 th, 24th), 23rd and 5th, none of these players are playing for the team.

The improvement of the Leafs and Oilers this year is sometime attributed to luck, but this luck coincides with decisions of ownership to gut management and install the very best they could hire to run the team. The Leafs still insist they aren't done yet but the 9 point improvement and 26 to 11 th in the standings, at this date, will probably alter their goals as they look to be a lock in for the playoffs.

The lucky Oilers also look to be locks for the playoffs with a 14 point and moving from 29th to 10th in the league improvement suggests.

The Canucks are fighting for a playoff spot, they still have about the same number of points as last year.

In the past other teams have planned the dive Tampa twice, Pittsburgh twice, Washington once, Chicago once, Montreal once, Philly twice, Florida (Tallon) and Arizona ongoing. some team tried and failed, no one remembers them except some that want to point out it doesn't work, it doesn't, not all the time but how many remember Patrick White?

did you write that drivel or is that a copy and paste job?  It's hard to tell with you

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Regardless of planning to tank, or just being bad, our next core just doesn't match up with too many other teams.  I think we are at least two cycles of core groups away from competing.  I feel for a guy like Bo, who will play his entire career without really having a chance at a Cup.  

We're are also not as far into the rebuild as the Leafs, Oilers, Avalanche, Panthers, etc.  More will be added to our core.

Another thread to attract people who don't like Bennings plan.

Answer this:  How many NHL teams out there have zero players from 7 consecutive drafts (2005-2011) playing on their team?  I'll help you with the math.  These players would be 22-29 years old this year.

Now explain to me how the Canucks situation is not unique?  And why you insist on comparing them to the Leafs and Oilers?

28 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

Another thread to attract people who don't like Bennings plan.

Answer this:  How many NHL teams out there have zero players from 7 consecutive drafts (2005-2011) playing on their team?  I'll help you with the math.  These players would be 22-29 years old this year.

Now explain to me how the Canucks situation is not unique?  And why you insist on comparing them to the Leafs and Oilers?

Yah...  interesting info to remember.

Couple of eras after Burke with brutal work to add youth to the franchise.

This alone is why we are where we are.

Gillis added Horvat and Hutton but really both Nonis and Gillis were brutal... Actually Canucks drafting as a franchise has been abysmal.  Time will tell, but honestly, the current regime looks like theyre FAR better at turning up NHL potential than any other management group in Canucks history.

Fans will have to be patient.  This process is likely to take 3-6 more years before re-stocking this franchise with enough talent to compete with the rest of the NHL.

I really hope they are able to add 2-3 more picks in the first 3 rounds this coming draft.  We need BOTH quality AND quantity.

Archived