The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Proposal (Duchene could end the rebuild)

Mr.53

Due to recent edits. Look to Page 5 and 6 before judging. Honestly...

To Van: Matt Duchene, Fedor Tyutin

To Col: Markus Granlund, Luca Sbisa, Jordan Subban, 2nd round pick. (I would personally be willing to give a first instead of Subban and a pick but this works too)

This a true even trade that attacks both teams needs, and everyone in the deal comes out a winner. I modeled the deal after the Kesler deal, which gives me the impression that it s actually fairly possible.

Why Colorado does this:

Colorado is looking for 1 thing, and that is help on the blue line. They have stated that if someone wants to try and acquire Duchene or Landeskog, they have to come prepared to give up either a young defensman, or high quality defensive prospect. This does exactly that. They replace aging Tyutin, with a young Luca Sbisa. Sbisa is about the same age as Duchene and is a good second pairing defensman that does a little bit of everything, which is exactly what the Avs need, especially on the left side. Jordan Subban also gives them a young speedy, offensive minded prospect that is close to NHL ready. He's played well on a weak Utica comets team in the role of lone star defensman. Next season, he can step in with their likely first overall pick. They get younger, faster, and more skilled from the back. Sbisa plays defense and Subban helps move the puck.

Markus Granlund has also shown to have skill and value. He's one of our top goal scorers this year and is still young. He has definite upside, but just not as much as Duchene. He can be a player with value and can be counted on to score and play hard, which isn't bad if you're losing Duchene. He could be the perfect consolatory piece for losing a versitile center like Duchene. If Colorado also gets the first overall pick, they will be getting a guy like Nico Hischer or Nolan Patrick to replace Duchene's spot. On top they get a 2nd round pick to further restock their cupboard. (I would also consider trading Burrows or Miller for a pick, and adding that pick to the deal. I would give them basically any prospect they ask for not named Boeser, Virtanen, Juolevi, or Demko, and any pick not our first rounder.)

If you look actually look at the Ryan Kesler trade as a template, this one is similar.

• Bonino was a less good version of Kesler, however younger and with a much cheaper contract, much like Granlund to Duchene.
  • Sbisa was a young defensman at the time meant to help our much lacking blue line. Sbisa is older now, but he's gotten better and stronger, heavier, and tougher. Colorado is in need of even more desperate help on the backend then we were back then. Fedor Tyutin basically just comes to us to help our team a little bit now but he's not necessary in the grand scheme. Sbisa takes his spot and is much younger, so can join the Avs core and help them in the future.
  • We got a late first round pick for Kesler, (Jared McCann). Instead of Colorado getting a first round pick, they get a almost NHL ready, 21 year old speedy PMD defenseman, which is also what they need and have asked for, and a 2nd round pick.

With a defensive core of Barrie, Johnson, and Subban on the right, as well as a Sbisa, Zadorov, and say a free agent on the left, on top of Markus Granlund and the first overall pick, the Avs could be much younger, faster, and better team next season. 

Why Vancouver does this: 

We complete the rebuild. Matt Duchene is the perfect compromise for everyone. Some fans want us to get younger and look to the future, while some fans, and especially our owners, want us to play for now and worry about things like ticket prices. Linden and JB also want to rebuild, but don't find it fair to the Sedins and season ticket holders. We also need a scoring forward, preferably center, that can bounce off of Bo Horvat in the future, once Henrik steps down. Honestly, we could use another top center to help ease them out. Duchene covers all of those. Generally he's a guy that can give you about 60+ point seasons, and occasionally more. He's not the best number 1 center, but he can be very capable if given the right linemates. We also retain our top 5 prospects, (Boeser, Juolevi, Virtanen, Demko, and Brisebois) and our first round pick.

Our team this season (if healthy)

Eriksson - Duchene - Sutter (number 1 center with a scorer and two way player.)

Sedin - Sedin - Hansen (Sedin twins with a forechecking two way presence)

Baertschi - Horvat - Burrows (Up and coming duo with Burrows. Matches against top lines.)

Skille - Gaunce - Boucher (Defensive 4th line with a scoring touch from Boucher)

(Rodin, Megna) (Good depth players when healthy)

Next season, we replace Hansen with Boeser, and Burrows with Virtanen. When that happens guys like Duchene, Sutter, Eriksson, and Horvat will take the reigns and be leaders. Meanwhile our defensive core looks like

Edler - Tanev (Leaders of the team)

Hutton - Gudbranson (developing leaders)

Tryamkin - Stecher (Key impact role players)

(Tyutin) (fills in for injuries and takes Sbisa's spot)

I like that core for the near future while Juolevi develops. Both the right and left side look good. Players can battle and jostle for who get's which pairing. Brisebois coming in also makes Subban a little more expendable. That team has a good mix of youth, veteran leadership, and players hitting their prime, as we phase into the next age. We still retain our first to be spent on a forward as well. We have just enough prospects to replace the aging vets who are about to leave in the next season or 2, and enough time to restock the cupboard.

This is a team that I think can make the playoffs if we pull the trigger soon. It will make the Sedins play better with a lessor load, as well as make Eriksson the actual dangerous threat he was supposed to be. Having a Duchene - Horvat 1-2 punch combo isn't bad either. We make a playoff push, to keep the owners happy, and we address our future needs.

Honestly, I think this trade could and should be able to work. if they want more, I'm still willing to listen. Adding Duchene would probably be cheaper than Landeskog, and will have a huge impact on our franchise for years to come. This is the gift we have been looking for. Wise not to squander it and take the deal and run. I'm open to minor adjustments. I've been out of the loop recently on these trade rumors, i've just been busy, but it seems like this could be a good deal to me. What do you think?

***** SIGNIFICANT EDIT DUE TO DISCUSSION *****

My adjusted deal,

To Van: Matt Duchene, 2nd round pick. (Will likely be the 31st or something), late round compensation pick.

To Col: Markus Granlund, Luca Sbisa, Jordan Subban, 1st round pick.

As discussed in the forum, I agree not to base this trade just on the Kesler trade. I adjusted it slightly to be accurate and based on the trades of multiple star forwards in Duchene's realm such as Ryan Kesler, Taylor Hall, Brandon Saad, TJ Oshie, and Milan Lucic. When looking at all of those trades in recent times, this trade shows to be more than fair for Duchene. They are all star forward for "spare parts" per say type of trades that have happened in recent years. None of their returns are actually better than this, or at least not clearly so. I would argue this trade offers better return than all 5 of those trades.

see page 5 and 6 before judging I break down exactly what other top 6 forwards have been worth and make my case on why this deal is superior...

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Is Duchene playing like a star player?  Sbisa and Granlund help the Avs with what they need.  It's a very fair trade.  

Have Granlund and/or Sbisa ever shown signs of being a "star" player before? No. 

Let me know when Sbisa isn't a 3rd pairing D, and Granlund isn't a top 9 forward. 

9 minutes ago, SwedeHockey said:

Have Granlund and/or Sbisa ever shown signs of being a "star" player before? No. 

Let me know when Sbisa isn't a 3rd pairing D, and Granlund isn't a top 9 forward. 

Hall returned Larssen.  Sbisa and Granlund give the Avs what they need: an emerging top 4 defenceman and an emerging defensive centre that can put up points.  

11 minutes ago, SwedeHockey said:

Hall returned Larssen.  Sbisa and Granlund give the Avs what they need: an emerging top 4 defenceman and an emerging defensive centre that can put up points.  

What does the Hall deal have to do with this proposal? That was widely regarded as lopsided trade. The Oils were dealing from a position of weakness. 

Anyways, Sbisa and Granlund (plus the rest of the package) will not get you close to Duchene. 

12 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Is Duchene all that? Might be similar to Eberle. Bright young star, that burns out rather quickly, cos he's wastin' away again in Palookaville(Jimmy Buffet style)

I don't think it's just Duchene, stats have shown that MOST young players tend to peak at around 23/24 unless they are total superstars. Expect to see the same thing with Bo, but his work ethic might prevent this 

1 minute ago, SwedeHockey said:

What does the Hall deal have to do with this proposal? That was widely regarded as lopsided trade. The Oils were dealing from a position of weakness. 

Anyways, Sbisa and Granlund (plus the rest of the package) will not get you close to Duchene. 

I disagree.  The Avs have yet to replace ROR.  Granlund will do that.  Plus, they need to settle their D, and Sbisa will do that.  These are two players currently proving their value is worth a guy like Duchene.  

I disagree.  The Avs have yet to replace ROR.  Granlund will do that.  Plus, they need to settle their D, and Sbisa will do that.  These are two players currently proving their value is worth a guy like Duchene.  

ROR was a 60-70 pt player, Granny is not that.

Just now, Zhukini said:

I don't think it's just Duchene, stats have shown that MOST young players tend to peak at around 23/24 unless they are total superstars. Expect to see the same thing with Bo, but his work ethic might prevent this 

Nah..Bo Derek-like talent..not Diddly! 2-way guy.

These flashy kids, are often Johnny-come-lately's, that burn out with lost enthusiasm.

Sorta' like romance. Slow build-up is better(long-term) than lusty, spontaneous-combustion(& I'LL dig up my analytics to prove theory).

We all are entitled to our own opinion, but really Alf? Granlund is not close to what ROR is, nor will he ever be. 

1 minute ago, SwedeHockey said:

We all are entitled to our own opinion, but really Alf? Granlund is not close to what ROR is, nor will he ever be. 

Granlund, given opportunity might surprise.  Plus, they are getting .Sbisa too, so that adds balance.  What about replacing Granlund (since you don't like him) with Sutter?  

33 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Is Duchene playing like a star player?  Sbisa and Granlund help the Avs with what they need.  It's a very fair trade.  

No.. Just no.. This is truly Canucks bias. This is NOT fair at all for the Avs 

Would you accept 

Top 6 D man 

Top 9 forward 

for 

BO HORVAT?? 

You want duchene? 

Offer like 

Tanev 

Boeser/Juolevi

1st 

Look, Avs arent giving him away. Its gonna be expensive. Its best if we dont make a trade with them. Im just trying to get a neutral viewing. Please... 

Just now, DontMessMe said:

no man.. Canucks bias. This is NOT fair at all 

Would you accept 

Top 6 D man 

Top 9 forward 

for 

BO HORVAT?? 

You want duchene? 

Offer like 

Tanev 

Boeser/Juolevi

1st 

Look, Avs arent giving him away. Its gonna be expensive. Its best if we dont make a trade with them

Horvat is a 21 year old two way centre, who is trending upward.  Duchene is a 26 year old, one way guy, who might bring offence, or who might be done.  The Avs will get no better offer than the one proposed.  It will be exactly like the Hall for Larssen deal.  Why should the Avs expect more than the current market value?

Archived