The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Reid Boucher | LW/RW

Salmonberries

Great great post I have to agree with you 100% Really think Gaunce will be a new guy with lots of confidence knowing coach Green.

SO I feel Gaunce and Virtanen will be new players with lots of confidence and will both make team..

I could see Dorsette being odd man out, he brings toughness but we have talented other forwards..

I would rather keep Pedan play 4th line when we need toughness and extra D man.. Pedan can play D and we know he can move fast and fight..

Pedan over Dorsette..Really want Pedan on team..

• Upvote 1

I think Boucher gets eviscerated if this goes to arbitration. He bounced around all year, showed up out of shape, was a healthy scratch on some pretty bad teams. He does have over 100 NHL games though, and has managed to produce when given the chance.

I think he gets a bump in AHL pay, I can't see him landing a one-way. I mean I guess we could give it to him, but even then do you guys see him on the opening night roster? I like the guy, but is he just competition for camp or something to build around?

Baertschi - Horvat - (Boeser)

Sedin - Sedin - Granlund

Eriksson - Sutter - Gagner

Gaunce - Burmistrov - Dorsett

13F (Rodin, Boucher, Megna, Chaput, Goldobin, Virtanen)

2 hours ago, Ossi Vaananen said:

I think Boucher gets eviscerated if this goes to arbitration. He bounced around all year, showed up out of shape, was a healthy scratch on some pretty bad teams. He does have over 100 NHL games though, and has managed to produce when given the chance.

I think he gets a bump in AHL pay, I can't see him landing a one-way. I mean I guess we could give it to him, but even then do you guys see him on the opening night roster? I like the guy, but is he just competition for camp or something to build around?

Sedin - Sedin - Granlund

I think Boucher had a decent chance with our season-ending roster, but with all the signings of guys like Burmistrov and Gagner, I can't see Boucher finding a spot on the team. He's a 13th forward or Comets top six player. In my mind, his only hope is to amaze in the pre-season. Otherwise, he will be in Utica for most of the year.

• Upvote 1

Just now, -AJ- said:

I think Boucher had a decent chance with our season-ending roster, but with all the signings of guys like Burmistrov and Gagner, I can't see Boucher finding a spot on the team. He's a 13th forward or Comets top six player. In my mind, his only hope is to amaze in the pre-season. Otherwise, he will be in Utica for most of the year.

Doesn't he require waivers?  

Just now, Alflives said:

Doesn't he require waivers?  

He does, but can't we assign him there at the start of the year to avoid that?

Even if he did need to go through, I could see him making it. If he can't make the Canucks, there aren't many teams he can make.

3 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Even if he did need to go through, I could see him making it. If he can't make the Canucks, there aren't many teams he can make.

Maybe your idea of assigning him to a Utica contract is what's holding things up getting him signed here?  

Just now, Alflives said:

Maybe your idea of assigning him to a Utica contract is what's holding things up getting him signed here?  

Maybe, but his contract wouldn't force him to be in either city. I suspect that he's either pushing for a one-way or a significant pay raise in his AHL salary for two-way, as if he's smart, he's realized there's a good chance that he's playing in Utica. NHL Salary is probably secondary, here.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, -AJ- said:

In the off-season every player on a NHL contract is returned to the Vancouver roster.  They were only loaned during the season to their respective teams. Come the start of the season, players are then once again loaned to the different teams (eg juniors, AHL, abroad).  Any player assigned to Utica will have to go through waivers (if eligible). 

Edited by mll

Eriksson - Horvat - Goldobin

Sedin - Sedin - Sutter  

Baertchi - Burmistrov - Boeser

Granlund - Chaput - Gagne

Dorsett

Edler - Tanev

Hutton - Gudbranson

Del Zotto - Stecher

Weircioch - Biega

Markstrom

Nilsson

There should be a great battle in training camp for the last couple of forward spots but I think they'll go with eight D. Should be fun.

*fixed

Edited by Salmonberries

10 minutes ago, Salmonberries said:

Eriksson - Horvat - Goldobin

Sedin - Sedin - Sutter  

Baertchi - Burmistrov - Boeser

Granlund - Chaput - Dorsett

Rodin

Edler - Tanev

Hutton - Gudbranson

Del Zotto - Stecher

Weircioch - Biega

Markstrom

Nilsson

There should be a great battle in training camp for the last couple of forward spots but I think they'll go with eight D. Should be fun.

Gagner? Gaunce?

7 minutes ago, Ossi Vaananen said:

Gagner? Gaunce?

Right. Gagne, not Rodin. Rodin, Molino, Boucher, Megna and Gaunce will push for the bottom spot as well. I just think Chaput is the most useful of that group right now. We'll see soon enough.

I think we'd be safe to send down Rodin, don't see many teams trying to claim him because he's such a project but he's a buy low sell high kind of guy right now and I think he'll explode if he stays healthy next year so worth the punt for sure. Keep him with the club.

Megna and Chaput, I couldn't care less. They're not extremely good at anything, decent all-rounders but ideally start in Utica and if they get claimed it's only an AHL-loss.

Boucher is intriguing, I'd rather see him start with the big club because of how well he scored last season, especially on the PP. If he had a decent playmaker, which he may well have now with all these skilled forwards coming in, he might really take off. Again though, he was claimed off waivers so didn't cost us anything, so if we lose him it's no big drop in value. The Canucks currently sit pretty high up the waiver wire so we'll have a great chance to snag someone else, and there'll be a lot of waiver movement before the season starts.

We can't lose Goldobin, he's got far too much potential and value right now so I'd rather him play in the NHL or sit in the press-box which I think is what he'll end up doing for most of the season. He's dominated in the AHL, now is his time to make it or break it in the NHL so I hope we give him an adequate chance.

Gaunce should start in the NHL on our 4th line, he's proved he's not a liability and he can work on his offence at the NHL level, plus we need some size desperately.

Dorsett will start in the NHL too or on IR if he's not ready.

As exciting as Molino and Kerfoot are, I don't see them cracking the club's roster. They're contending against guys like Burmistrov, Gagner, Boucher, Boeser and Goldobin. Not happening, they'll get sent down and probably not claimed.

Burmistrov will really depend on how he comes to training camp. If he plays well defensively he'll stay, if not he'll probably get sent down to Utica. For the league-minimum salary he's no real loss to us even if he does get claimed.

• Upvote 1

On 7/14/2017 at 11:22 AM, Ossi Vaananen said:

Sedin - Sedin - Granlund

I pretty much agree with your line up here.  I think it was Linden who said they would be managing their assets to hold on to as many as they could.  I take this to mean that all things being equal, players who have to clear waivers have a better chance of making the team.  Conversely, Boeser and Virtanen have a better chance of starting the season in Utica.

I'm not sure if this is effectively a red herring because it seems to contradict what Benning has said, that if players show that they are ready for the NHL, room will be made for them in the line up.

Maybe what we should believe is that the best of a list of players will make the team despite the above caveats.  The question is, how long is that list?  And just how does one determine "best"?  

Rodin, Boucher, Megna, Chaput, Goldobin, Virtanen, Boeser, Gaunce, Burmistrov, Dorsett, or.......?

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

I pretty much agree with your line up here.  I think it was Linden who said they would be managing their assets to hold on to as many as they could.  I take this to mean that all things being equal, players who have to clear waivers have a better chance of making the team.  Conversely, Boeser and Virtanen have a better chance of starting the season in Utica.

I'm not sure if this is effectively a red herring because it seems to contradict what Benning has said, that if players show that they are ready for the NHL, room will be made for them in the line up.

Maybe what we should believe is that the best of a list of players will make the team despite the above caveats.  The question is, how long is that list?  And just how does one determine "best"?  

Rodin, Boucher, Megna, Chaput, Goldobin, Virtanen, Boeser, Gaunce, Burmistrov, Dorsett, or.......?

You are right about what JB said, but what he did not say was that if a player shows he appears to be ready (in training camp) they will throw away assets to make room immediately. No contradiction.

• Upvote 1

On 7/14/2017 at 0:22 PM, Ossi Vaananen said:

I think he gets a bump in AHL pay, I can't see him landing a one-way.

I can't say I disagreed with you, but turns out he did indeed get a one-way.  But it is for 687,500 so there is minimal risk in that.