The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Reid Boucher | LW/RW

Salmonberries

On 3/26/2017 at 3:16 AM, DontMessMe said:

Hope Vegas takes Sbisa or gaunce 

the key thing is to keep Boucher out of the pool. If Sbisa gaunce and boucher were unexpected, Boucher would be the guy i would pick, but if Sutter was in that pool rather than Boucher, I'd be more inclined to pick Sbisa as I really dont like Sutter's contract. Gaunce I don't think will get picked, 0 goals, is 0 goals, thats just too little production even if he is a 1st round pick.

Just now, filthycanuck said:

the key thing is to keep Boucher out of the pool. If Sbisa gaunce and boucher were unexpected, Boucher would be the guy i would pick, but if Sutter was in that pool rather than Boucher, I'd be more inclined to pick Sbisa as I really dont like Sutter's contract. Gaunce I don't think will get picked, 0 goals, is 0 goals, thats just too little production even if he is a 1st round pick.

Sbisa is a top 6 D whereas Boucher is still diamond in the rough. Solid potential tho

2 hours ago, WeneedLumme said:

There is no chance that JB is simpleminded enough to expose Sutter. He is far too valuable, regardless of what you think about his contract.

If JB is thinking of exposing anyone with a contract it will be Edler or Eriksson. Edler would probably be taken but I doubt Eriksson would.

51 minutes ago, RetroCanuck said:

If JB is thinking of exposing anyone with a contract it will be Edler or Eriksson. Edler would probably be taken but I doubt Eriksson would.

Eriksson cannot be exposed. I am hoping for a deal on either Edler or Tanev.

19 hours ago, WeneedLumme said:

There is no chance that JB is simpleminded enough to expose Sutter. He is far too valuable, regardless of what you think about his contract.

How is he valuable exactly? He's a mediocre penalty killer, absolutely horrible on the power play. I don't see how his contract is justified

• Upvote 1

On 3/28/2017 at 0:40 AM, DontMessMe said:

Sbisa is a top 6 D whereas Boucher is still diamond in the rough. Solid potential tho

Boucher does not have much "potential". At age 23 (turning 24 in September) he are pretty much at "what you see is what you get". Good NHL scoring forwards pretty much always show something significant by the time the turn 24. Boucher is not an NHL quality player. He has a good shot but is weak defensively. He was just a low-cost late season Hail Mary by Benning.

8 hours ago, filthycanuck said:

How is he [Sutter] valuable exactly? He's a mediocre penalty killer, absolutely horrible on the power play. I don't see how his contract is justified

1 hour ago, ajhockey said:

4.375M for a solid defensive forward who can dominate on faceoffs (54.4%) and score nearly 20 goals per season is a perfectly fine deal.

I can understand why the Boucher thread turned to discussion of Sutter, who is at least a legitimate NHL quality player, albeit an overpaid one. His numbers continue to be very similar to those of Bonino, who gets paid less than half as much. And Pittsburgh of course continues to be overjoyed by that deal.

26 minutes ago, JamesB said:

Boucher does not have much "potential". At age 23 (turning 24 in September) he are pretty much at "what you see is what you get". Good NHL scoring forwards pretty much always show something significant by the time the turn 24. Boucher is not an NHL quality player. He has a good shot but is weak defensively. He was just a low-cost late season Hail Mary by Benning.

I can understand why the Boucher thread turned to discussion of Sutter, who is at least a legitimate NHL quality player, albeit an overpaid one. His numbers continue to be very similar to those of Bonino, who gets paid less than half as much. And Pittsburgh of course continues to be overjoyed by that deal.

Sutter's numbers are similar, but I like his physical game and foot speed more than Bonino's.

Bonino will be a UFA at the end of this season.  Maybe we should wait and see what his next contract looks like.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, JamesB said:

Bonino's number are only slightly less, but he's playing on a much stronger team and I suspect he's gotten some time with star players, unlike what he's gotten in Vancouver. His faceoff percentage is also a rough 47.8%. I think it's fair to say that Sutter is a fair bit more valuable.

On topic of Boucher, I don't really think Boucher will turn into a star player, but with any luck, he might pull a Burrows and gel well with some other better players and still score many goals.

3 minutes ago, ajhockey said:

Bonino's number are only slightly less, but he's playing on a much stronger team and I suspect he's gotten some time with star players, unlike what he's gotten in Vancouver. His faceoff percentage is also a rough 47.8%. I think it's fair to say that Sutter is a fair bit more valuable.

On topic of Boucher, I don't really think Boucher will turn into a star player, but with any luck, he might pull a Burrows and gel well with some other better players and still score many goals.

Wow!  If Boucher had Burrow's drive, compete, and determination to be his best we would have one heck of a player.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, higgyfan said:

Sutter's numbers are similar, but I like his physical game and foot speed more than Bonino's.

Bonino will be a UFA at the end of this season.  Maybe we should wait and see what his next contract looks like.

Also they NEEDED bang-fer-buck, performance(cap-crunched, last 2 yrs), so they surrounded ol' Bones with nasty speed(Hagelin, Kessel types). We don't 'win' this trade, but Bones wouldn't have offered us much, since we really need some guys who can skate.

1 hour ago, ajhockey said:

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Wow!  If Boucher had Burrow's drive, compete, and determination to be his best we would have one heck of a player.  

54 minutes ago, bigbadcanucks said:

With the limited amount of time I've seen Boucher play, he strikes as being a little too one-dimensional.  IMO, he's the type of player that if he's not scoring 20+ goals, he's hurting the team.

The thing about Burrows is that he was a huge outlier. His basic talent was not that impressive but, as @Alflivessays, his compete-level (drive and determination) were off the charts. Every time we acquire a guy with marginal talent someone says "maybe he is like Burrows". But guys with Burrows compete level are rare. We can also hope, just like we can hope that a 6th round draft pick turns into Pavel Bure. It happens, but don't put your money on it.

I see no similarity between Burrows and Boucher. As others have pointed out, Boucher is more like Wellwood, except not as good. I think @bigbadcanuckshas the right read on Boucher.

19 hours ago, JamesB said:

The thing about Burrows is that he was a huge outlier. His basic talent was not that impressive but, as @Alflivessays, his compete-level (drive and determination) were off the charts. Every time we acquire a guy with marginal talent someone says "maybe he is like Burrows". But guys with Burrows compete level are rare. We can also hope, just like we can hope that a 6th round draft pick turns into Pavel Bure. It happens, but don't put your money on it.

I see no similarity between Burrows and Boucher. As others have pointed out, Boucher is more like Wellwood, except not as good. I think @bigbadcanuckshas the right read on Boucher.

19 hours ago, JamesB said:

I don't see anywhere near the drive out of Boucher. Burrows never made the Canucks as a offensive player yet matured into one. That said he never lost his 'd' side and was a top notch PK'er. Your 'drive' comment is bang on. I was always of the opinion that Burrows elevated the play of his line mates whereas Boucher, if successful, will depend on his line mates to set him up.

23 hours ago, bigbadcanucks said:

With the limited amount of time I've seen Boucher play, he strikes as being a little too one-dimensional.  IMO, he's the type of player that if he's not scoring 20+ goals, he's hurting the team.

Reminds me of Kyle Wellwood a bit.

41 minutes ago, canucklehead44 said:

Very different type of player. Wellwood was actually a pretty good 3rd line centre and was a beast in the faceoff circle. 

Sorry I should have explained myself a little more. My comparison with him is more on will & determination.

Seems like Boucher at 24 years of age is still having troubles with his fitness level & where it needs to be as a pro. Willie Desjardins made comments on that when he arrived. Others have posted this as well.  

Obviously the skill is there for Boucher to be a top 9 or 6 player as well but it will come down to his overall commitment to getting there. 

I believe Wellwood had the same type of issues.   http://vancouver.24hrs.ca/Sports/2008/09/25/6870031-sun.html

That was more the comparison along with size & to some extent that their respected skill sets may be different, they both have similar ceilings as in top 9 or 6 guys. 

3 hours ago, CoolCanucklehead said:

Sorry I should have explained myself a little more. My comparison with him is more on will & determination.

Seems like Boucher at 24 years of age is still having troubles with his fitness level & where it needs to be as a pro. Willie Desjardins made comments on that when he arrived. Others have posted this as well.  

Obviously the skill is there for Boucher to be a top 9 or 6 player as well but it will come down to his overall commitment to getting there. 

I believe Wellwood had the same type of issues.   http://vancouver.24hrs.ca/Sports/2008/09/25/6870031-sun.html

That was more the comparison along with size & to some extent that their respected skill sets may be different, they both have similar ceilings as in top 9 or 6 guys. 

Yep. IF, and it's a big IF, Boucher can be committed to his off-season training, and comes into camp in very good shape, he will have a good chance at making the roster, especially given his offensive prowess, and shot. He might be a late bloomer. Been bouncing around a lot in the NHL. so if he gets some stability, will his play also improve? It's very possible, and very likely.