The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Reid Boucher | LW/RW

Salmonberries

25 minutes ago, Salmonberries said:

Our first look at Boucher tonight in a Canucks uniform and so far I like his skating and compete level. He seems to be responsible defensively and to finish his checks. He has already shown me enough to supplant Brendan Gaunce in the fourth line lw spot.

I think this thread will generate some worthwhile discussion, so I moved it to the Player Discussion Subforum. 

Personally, I like what he brings so far as well. I hope we will have the opportunity to see more of him in the future. Especially if we ever get to see that killer shot of his. I'd like him to have the opportunity to see what he can do rather than to be buried when Megna no longer has the flu... 

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, Roger Neilson's Towel said:

I think this thread will generate some worthwhile discussion, so I moved it to the Player Discussion Subforum. 

Personally, I like what he brings so far as well. I hope we will have the opportunity to see more of him in the future. Especially if we ever get to see that killer shot of his. I'd like him to have the opportunity to see what he can do rather than to be buried when Megna no longer has the flu... 

He seems sound positionally, and there is some smack in his body contact. Good set of wheels on him too.  Willie ought not to have a problem slotting into the lineup as the twelfth forward based on tonight's performance.

• Upvote 1

• Kaner featured this topic
6 minutes ago, Salmonberries said:

He seems sound positionally, and there is some smack in his body contact. Good set of wheels on him too.  Willie ought not to have a problem slotting into the lineup as the twelfth forward based on tonight's performance.

I agree, however Willie and I have had many differing opinions on player deployment in the past so we shall see! ;)

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Salmonberries said:

Our first look at Boucher tonight in a Canucks uniform and so far I like his skating and compete level. He seems to be responsible defensively and to finish his checks. He has already shown me enough to supplant Brendan Gaunce in the fourth line lw spot.

Did he do anything with the puck?  Never noticed him.  Gaunce was better.  Boucher supplanting Chaput is possible though.  We have a LOT of plug-level players coming and going these days -- kind of discouraging.  Emerson Etem... Vey... Cracknell... Chaput... Megna. 

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, gameburn2 said:

Did he do anything with the puck?  Never noticed him.  Gaunce was better.  Boucher supplanting Chaput is possible though.  We have a LOT of plug-level players coming and going these days -- kind of discouraging.  Emerson Etem... Vey... Cracknell... Chaput... Megna. 

Well, he only had 6:04 of ice time but the nice body check he did throw and the fluid skating he exhibited were two things I have yet to see from Guance.

Edited by Salmonberries
  • Upvote 2

I just hate how WD shelters the young or new players and makes them ride the pine almost all game basically leaving them to think they're not good enough in his opinion and he doesn't trust them at all.

I'd have to think this would make some lose a little confidence and this might have them on pins and needles when they are getting their measly 6 minutes of ice time.

Again not a big fan of WD decision making on the lineup or the handling of young or new players on the squad at all.

Hoping with Boucher and others down the line WD talks to them in a positive way, shows faith in them and gives them a real shot to show their abilities.

Edited by The Big Luongo
  • Upvote 2

On ‎1‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 10:36 PM, Salmonberries said:

Well, he only had 6:04 of ice time but the nice body check he did throw and the fluid skating he exhibited were two things I have yet to see from Guance.

Gaunce needs something... not sure what... reminds me of Jarvis btw: dull, plodding, smart as hell.  Not what you need, sadly.  I would keep Gaunce on the off chance he does what Bo did: learn to skate.  

I love Gaunce's heavy game: his hits matter, his defensive game is good.  But NO SPEED.  Maddening.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, gameburn2 said:

Gaunce needs something... not sure what... reminds me of Jarvis btw: dull, plodding, smart as hell.  Not what you need, sadly.  I would keep Gaunce on the off chance he does what Bo did: learn to skate.  

I love Gaunce's heavy game: his hits matter, his defensive game is good.  But NO SPEED.  Maddening.

I thought Guance actually had one of his better games tonight vs Chicago. He was moving pretty well and getting in on the forecheck. He was making body contact and actually turned over some pucks and had a couple of scoring chances.

• Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, Salmonberries said:

I thought Guance actually had one of his better games tonight vs Chicago. He was moving pretty well and getting in on the forecheck. He was making body contact and actually turned over some pucks and had a couple of scoring chances.

I agree with you.  I was thinking of previous games.  My bad, really. He wasn't the problem tonight.  I love his game.

What's needed is succession: moving on to the new generation: admitting that Horvat is the number one player on the team, and that Stecher and Tryamkin are the key D.

Miller sucked, actually.  Too deep in the net, too passive.  Time to move him. 

I would NEVER trade Gaunce.  Like Virtanen, he has huge potential.  Gaunce should be playing center.  But without enough foot speed, he isn't quite there yet.

The Canucks are so close: Boeser allows us to develop a pp, and to give us a winger to go with Horvat.  Demko lets us move Miller for a round two or three pick.

Trading Hansen and Tanev let us get more picks.

13 hours ago, Salmonberries said:

His setup on a Chaput shot was excellent. Great save. What impressed me was how the 4th bent from a fast Hawks team but did not break. We have gotten use to them playing in the ozone most night but last night the Hawks did pin them in the d-zone for some shifts.

IMHO Gaunce is having a solid first season in the NHL. He has a decent shot but more impressive is his ability to pass the puck under pressure. Very happy he has not been sent back to Utica.  Hopefully he will be a role model for Virtanen.  

Edited by Boudrias