The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Reid Boucher | LW/RW

Salmonberries

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

It's not the program he was on, it's the person he is.

Sadly not every prospect has the work ethic and commitment that Horvat has.

This is certainly true -- the internal abilities like commitment, dedication, and determination matter a lot.

But the other thing that matters is just differing rates of physical maturity. Some guys are not far from their peak at age 19 or 20 in terms of speed and strength, Other guys have a long way to go.

I remember one guy in my school at about age 16 who was big, strong, fast. He had a deep voice and a serious five o'clock shadow and had already acquired a high level of physical coordination. He looked and sounded like a full grown man. He was a dominant athlete in pretty much all team sports - basketball, rugby, hockey etc. But 5 or 6 years later he had not changed a lot physically and was not good enough to stand out at university level sports. A couple of other guys who had been relatively tall, skinny, weak and relatively uncoordinated at age 16 had developed a lot physically and left the other guy way behind.

Guys like Horvat and Tanev had a lot of room to improve basic physical attributes even at age 19 or 20. Most guys have less room. That is just genes more than anything else. And that is one reason why Cody Glass looks like a good prospect for the draft given his rate of improvement, his recent physical growth, and his family history. And the general agreement that he has a high hockey IQ (something that is hard to teach) is big plus. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, DeNiro said:

It's not the program he was on, it's the person he is.

Sadly not every prospect has the work ethic and commitment that Horvat has.

I meant it figuratively.  He has to take giant steps, but some solid ones next TC might be good enough.

• 1 month later...

Kind of glad Las Vegas didn't take Boucher because he's probably the most underrated Canucks prospect right now. Goldobin and Dahlen are going to get a lot of limelight as we all know, I think those two will be in and out of Green's dog-house due to poor defensive play, but Boucher was surprisingly decent in his own zone last season, didn't cost us too many bad goals against, threw the body from time to time but had a really surprising, wicked snap shot and racked up a fair few goals. 

I think Boucher's going to surprise everyone and score 15-20 goals next year, from a 3rd line up to the top-6. Just a hunch. If he gets to play with a playmaker who can set him up, he'll be golden. Very good production on our 2nd PP unit from him too.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Kind of glad Las Vegas didn't take Boucher because he's probably the most underrated Canucks prospect right now. Goldobin and Dahlen are going to get a lot of limelight as we all know, I think those two will be in and out of Green's dog-house due to poor defensive play, but Boucher was surprisingly decent in his own zone last season, didn't cost us too many bad goals against, threw the body from time to time but had a really surprising, wicked snap shot and racked up a fair few goals. 

I think Boucher's going to surprise everyone and score 15-20 goals next year, from a 3rd line up to the top-6. Just a hunch. If he gets to play with a playmaker who can set him up, he'll be golden. Very good production on our 2nd PP unit from him too.

The Canucks need a couple surprises this year!  Boucher would be a nice story.  I want to see Eriksson, Gudbranson and Hutton have bounce back seasons not to mention Virtanen.  We very well could have a bit of a Cinderella story brewing.  I am not saying the cup but improved play all around.

5 minutes ago, Bandwagon38 said:

The Canucks need a couple surprises this year!  Boucher would be a nice story.  I want to see Eriksson, Gudbranson and Hutton have bounce back seasons not to mention Virtanen.  We very well could have a bit of a Cinderella story brewing.  I am not saying the cup but improved play all around.

This is true, I'd say we're sort of set up for a Cinderella story. The Sedins, Edler and Miller are really the only old vets on this team that I expect to take a step back. I don't think Eriksson can be much worse. I don't think Tanev's play will slip at all. Everyone else can only really go up from here. 

The play of this team will hinge on the cusp players. Guys like Baertschi, Granlund, Dahlen, Boeser, Boucher, Megna (to an extent), Goldobin, Hutton, Stecher, Gudbranson and Holm will really dictate which way this team goes. We know what we're getting from the declining vets and Horvat. There are lots of question marks going into next season. Lots of guys expected to improve as well. I still see us a bottom-15 team, but wouldn't be surprised if a few individuals have big breakout seasons.

1 minute ago, Hutton Wink said:

Interesting, considering they were both on waivers last year and the advocacy here in picking him up as a former linemate of Baertschi.

The Blues totally messed up with him.  He sounded relieved to get a clean start elsewhere and leave the Blues behind and they claim him back off waivers.  It's a real pity for him. 

Is it just me or is there a legit chance this guy could come into camp in great shape, a little quicker and earn a spot in the top 9?

Depending on how he looks in September we could see Green take this guy from tweener to 20 goal scorer.

On 6/22/2017 at 9:03 PM, DownUndaCanuck said:

Im a fan of Boucher's as well. I can see him getting, like you said, 15-20 goals if given the oppurtunity. Its kind of like what happened to Granlund where he was flying under the radar in the beginning of the season when nobody had expectations for him and quietly put up a pretty good season. The kid is a whiz in the offensive zone, defintely looked dangerous playing the half boards on the PP

• Upvote 1

This guy could easily score 15-20 goals, and I think Green will like him more than Burmistrov and Goldobin purely because of his work ethic defensively. Gagner and Boucher might have some serious success, Boucher just needs a playmaker and he's sorted, especially if he's going up against team's 3rd line defensive pairings most nights.

Better sign him to a bridge contract, 1.5M x 2 years?

1 hour ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

This guy could easily score 15-20 goals, and I think Green will like him more than Burmistrov and Goldobin purely because of his work ethic defensively. Gagner and Boucher might have some serious success, Boucher just needs a playmaker and he's sorted, especially if he's going up against team's 3rd line defensive pairings most nights.

:blink:

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

^ I thought he was ragged on for being lazy defensively. Did I misunderstand something?

Compared to Goldobin and Burmistrov he's a Selke winner. Burmistrov can at least back check at times, but is scarily inconsistent, and Goldobin's the same. I think the two Russians are going to end up in the dog-house a fair bit. A lot of these inconsistent kids are going to be up and down the lineup but I think Boucher's a step or two ahead of the two Russian guys, but not by much.