The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Reid Boucher | LW/RW

Salmonberries

6 minutes ago, Snapshot85 said:

I just dont get why he cant make the leap.... maybe his skating isn't good enough for the nhl level... or thinking the game? Because it sure the heck isn't his shot.... that things a bullet

I remember Green mentioning Noucher in a group of guys ( Hutton Pouliot Neilson) that need to make the commitment to being pros on and off the ice.  I think for Boucher it’s his off ice habits.  Training, staying in to condition, and eating properly. 

I am not all that familiar with Boucher. My impression of him based on limited viewing of his NHL games years ago and this pre-season is that in the NHL he is a perimeter player and he needs others to set him up.  He is sort like a sniper version of Goldobin. His shot is a lot more accurate than Goldobin but he shares the same tendencies. He is not fast and physical enough to gain or retain possession. His play making is average. His hockey IQ and vision are average as well. In the AHL Boucher knows where to go so that he can get the rebounds or receive the puck from his linemates. In the NHL he has trouble figuring out where to go, akin to Goldobin. 

I think in general NHL exhibits a more dynamic and more fluid style of play than AHL despite the amount of structure and coaching. In the NHL, even a fourth line checker needs to appreciate and be quick thinking enough to follow and anticipate the ever changing plays on the ice. Goal scorers must have sufficient vision and IQ to be at least one step ahead of the opponent's defence to generate scoring chances. NHL teams have D players that exhibit high IQ and great vision who do a great job of out thinking/anticipating the attacking forwards. It's sort like chess where the dominant player can see a few moves ahead of his competition. I think Jake Virtanen suffers from the same deficiency in his mental makeup but he can compensate for same by playing on the bottom 6. The bottom 6 is not expected to score as much and therefore players with somewhat lower IQ and vision can still thrive if they are physically gifted and work hard. 

One of the criticism of Goldobin is that when he has the puck he always trys to slow down the play to look for someone to pass it to. I think that Goldobin just can't process the game at a higher pace. Boucher may suffer from the same deficiency. 

Like Goldobin, Boucher's hockey IQ and vision are not sufficient for most NHL top 6 positions but he also lacks the skills and talents necessary for bottom 6 roles including penalty killing. 

My recommendation is to trade Boucher to a team such as Pittsburgh who may think that Crosby can bring the best out of Boucher in the NHL. 

Edited by Maddogy

On 10/13/2019 at 6:40 PM, Snapshot85 said:

I just dont get why he cant make the leap.... maybe his skating isn't good enough for the nhl level... or thinking the game? Because it sure the heck isn't his shot.... that things a bullet

I specifically came into this thread to ask the same question. Whats the deal with Reid? Consistently top scoring in Utica, others guys being promoted to the big leagues ahead of him. Anyone has a specific answer?

7 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

You'd have to think where he does fits with Beartschi and Goldobin ahead of him. Maybe a trade is on the cards

Boucher is an AHL player that clears waivers every year.  His trade value is another AHL player.  Great guy to have on your AHL team but he isn't going to get you an actual prospect or significant draft pick in return.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, UticaHockey said:

Boucher is an AHL player that clears waivers every year.  His trade value is another AHL player.  Great guy to have on your AHL team but he isn't going to get you an actual prospect or significant draft pick in return.

Yeah I'd agree with that, but, I doubt he does. He understandable still sees his future in the NHL.

• Upvote 1

Yeah. - and he turned into a .50 ppg man (70 points in 141 NHL games), not too shabby.  But he never achieved the results he had in the CHL and AHL (103 points in 65 games the CHL in 81/82, followed by 122 in 80 the next year and 109 in 80 the year after, both in the AHL

Edited by Googlie

6 minutes ago, Comet Fan 0727 said:

If Ferland is hurt for a while how do you not call up Boucher?  I know there are options...him Goldy and Bear Cheese, but 10 goals in 8 games is hard to ignore. 

Boucher has been given a lot of opportunities up here and hasn't been able to transition his game. I think Goldy or Baer gets called up, but there are also younger players like Gaudette, Lind and MacEwen that would benefit from the opportunity more.

23 minutes ago, RetroCanuck said:

Boucher has been given a lot of opportunities up here and hasn't been able to transition his game. I think Goldy or Baer gets called up, but there are also younger players like Gaudette, Lind and MacEwen that would benefit from the opportunity more.

Can Gaudette play wing?  MacEwen didn’t play last night, heard he was sick. We will see what they do. Bailey may be called up.  I think he’s a right winger though.  Having depth is a good thing.