The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Reid Boucher | LW/RW

Salmonberries

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

He’s been playing well all year, not just the one game.  As for the “men” comment it was in relation to playing the “kids” that I always here.  He’s not a kid, he’s a man who’s been around a long time.  He’s not playing in junior or the NCAA.  Eriksson is a waste of space on the roster and Roussel isn’t far behind.  Boucher has 63 points in the AHL in 49 games.  There is no reason to NOT call him up right now.

Eriksson plays with men though.

57 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

I'm interested in this conversation.  I'm pretty sure your explanation makes no sense but please keep explaining

Boucher plays against men... as opposed to what and/or who?  Your explanation only makes sense if you are comparing Boucher to someone who plays in a junior league against kids 

It was an odd comment, but I imagine he means playing against fully developed, often experienced opponents.

The AHL certainly isn't NHL caliber, but it isn't exactly a breezy league either. We have quite a few guys down there who could very well slot into an NHL team in various positions and perform reasonably adequately.

Given his point totals, it wouldn't be a horrible idea to try Boucher again at this level. I agree that perhaps with the added confidence right now, he *could* produce.

I appreciate the hesitance to mess with our lineup when the Pacific is so tight - but isn't it worth a try over playing... say... Eriksson? Does he really bring enough "little things" to make lack expendability?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, The 5th Line said:

I'm interested in this conversation.  I'm pretty sure your explanation makes no sense but please keep explaining

Boucher plays against men... as opposed to what and/or who?  Your explanation only makes sense if you are comparing Boucher to someone who plays in a junior league against kids. the phrase  "playing the kids"  means gives the kids on your team more ice time.. it doesn't mean "playing against kids"

Let me be more clear for you.  Boucher has been playing against men for many years and opposed to our “kids”.  That is what I really meant to say. Yes our kids play against men but some are only 2-3 years out from actually playing with kids in junior or the NCAA versus Boucher who’s been playing in the AHL and NHL for the last 7 years.  

In any event after tonight’s loss I would say there is absolutely no reason not to give Boucher a chance with the big club. Eriksson and Roussel are clearly not playing at an NHL caliber level at this point and should be sitting in the press box.  

Edited by Elias Pettersson
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 2

12 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Let me be more clear for you.  Boucher has been playing against men for many years and opposed to our “kids”.  That is what I really meant to say. Yes our kids play against men but some are only 2-3 years out from actually playing with kids in junior or the NCAA versus Boucher who’s been playing in the AHL and NHL for the last 7 years.  

In any event after tonight’s loss I would say there is absolutely no reason not to give Boucher a chance with the big club. Eriksson and Roussel are clearly not playing at an NHL caliber level at this point and should be sitting in the press box.  

You say failure to make playoffs means TG is gone. You want to insert Boucher into the lineup in what amounts to a desperation move.  Boucher has no NHL success and will not be on this team for CUP contention come ‘23. While I can agree to Big Mac playing today with either LE or Roussel sitting that is as far as I would take it. 20 games to go you have to dance with who brought ya. The messaging being sent to the young core is as important as actually making playoffs.

2 hours ago, Boudrias said:

The messaging being sent to the young core is as important as actually making playoffs.

Right now the messaging being sent to the core should be they are not getting it done. Weak losses to weak teams at a key time of the year just is not good enough.

While we need a shakeup in MacEwen and Bailey getting in, Boucher has proven on several occasions that he cannot play a regular part in the NHL.  Prototypical AHL all star that doesn’t have enough tools for the NHL.  He’s the winger version of Wellwood.

• 1 month later...
6 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

It really depends on him. If he wants to remain as the top-dog in the AHL and stay with the organization by signing a 1-way deal, he can be paid NHL salary playing in the AHL help developing the kids. The Canucks have seen enough of him to basically decide that he cannot be a NHL regular. If he wants another shot at the NHL level, he would probably sign with another team like LA, Detroit etc. where he may have a chance to crack their NHL roster. If he goes to Europe, it probably means he has given up playing in North America. Boucher is a prime example of someone who cannot adjust to the NHL pace/speed, hence he could not be that effective top 6 player at the NHL level. There is no shame on this, as the NHL is the hardest league to play in.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/29/2020 at 11:01 AM, 73 Percent said:

I would hope hes playing against men. Hes 26 yrs old...

What a silly thing to say. That phrase works up until like age 20. After that yeah I hope you're not pumping his tires over a good game against timbits.

Skating and defensive commitment have always been the knocks on Boucher (as well as conditioning and fitness). Fitness no longer seems to be an issue. His skating is much improved (is it NHL caliber? Don’t know).  Defensively, he has been good this year, even serving on the PK - where he has been an offensive threat for the opposition to worry about as well as taking care to take away opposition opportunities - he has great anticipation - filling passing lanes, knocking down passes, and transitioning at the first opportunity.

• 2 months later...
3 hours ago, Crabcakes said:

If the AHL doesn't go next year, it's the KHL or nothing.  There are only going to be so many spots available.

Utica lost Goldobin, soon to be Boucher, and potentially Baertschi should the Canucks find a suitor for him.  That is 3 of their top 5 scorers from this season gone.  Open door for some young players to fight for opportunities and spots.

• Cheers 3

That's a big hit to Utica for sure. We do have replenishments coming who could be even better.

I really wish Boucher would have been given a few games to try to play NHL hockey again. Couldn't have been any worse than having Eriksson in the lineup.

On 6/18/2020 at 11:09 AM, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Utica lost Goldobin, soon to be Boucher, and potentially Baertschi should the Canucks find a suitor for him.  That is 3 of their top 5 scorers from this season gone.  Open door for some young players to fight for opportunities and spots.

Sucks this bloody pandemic happened this year. I think the team was really hoping the Comets would see a long post season this year with all that depth, for the long term benefit of guys like Juolevi, MDP, Lind etc.

• Cheers 3