The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Reid Boucher | LW/RW

Salmonberries

56 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

I have the feeling Boucher might get the Kenins treatment. I get the feeling that we might end up with too many guys that have higher ceilings to allow Boucher to play a middle six role, leaving him to the 4th line. From what I've heard, his defense is pretty suspect, so he won't likely be able to play well there. I'd guess he's in the AHL next year, but maybe he surprises me. He definitely has a chance at sticking with the big club if he works hard.

Kennins was a damn shame.  He didn't have the same jump after his knee injury.

You could be right about Boucher.  Willie liked his shot on the pp.  He's got to do all he can to give himself the best chance.  With a healthy line up, he may in tough to make the top 9.  Particularly if Virtanen has a good camp.

If he can make the push for a regular spot before Goldobin or Virtanen, he may have a shot.  If it's the other way around, we may see him in Utica.

18 hours ago, Crabcakes said:

Kennins was a damn shame.  He didn't have the same jump after his knee injury.

You could be right about Boucher.  Willie liked his shot on the pp.  He's got to do all he can to give himself the best chance.  With a healthy line up, he may in tough to make the top 9.  Particularly if Virtanen has a good camp.

If he can make the push for a regular spot before Goldobin or Virtanen, he may have a shot.  If it's the other way around, we may see him in Utica.

I look at the Oilers 3rd line and then consider who we can pencil in and get depressed. Boucher is a project who will likely transition out next year. I hope it comes together for him. Wicked wrister but more than that is needed.  

41 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

I look at the Oilers 3rd line and then consider who we can pencil in and get depressed. Boucher is a project who will likely transition out next year. I hope it comes together for him. Wicked wrister but more than that is needed.  

Ironic isn't it.  The team we mocked is now the team we hold up as the team to follow down the road to a rebuild.

Maroon, 42 pts, Letestu 35 pts, Kassian 27 pts

Maroon was a TDL deal last year from the Ducks in return for Gernat and a 4th

Letestu was a Free Agent signing 2 years ago, he's 32 

Kassian was a shot in the dark, trade with Montreal for Scrivens

The good news is that support players can be acquired relatively cheaply.  The Oilers didn't really give up much for these guys.

Boucher is an RFA.  There is a large group of bubble type players on the Canucks who Benning picked up for nothing or next to nothing.  Imo they are place holders until prospects are ready to play.

Boucher, Chaput, Megna*, Skille, Shore, Molino*, LaPlante*, Carcone*, Zalewski, MacEwen*, Cramarossa

Then there's drafted players like LaBate, Gaunce, Grenier,

Only those with a * have contracts for next year.  Gaunce will be signed but the rest?  We may not even see at camp.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Crabcakes said:

Ironic isn't it.  The team we mocked is now the team we hold up as the team to follow down the road to a rebuild.

The good news is that support players can be acquired relatively cheaply.  The Oilers didn't really give up much for these guys.

Boucher is an RFA.  There is a large group of bubble type players on the Canucks who Benning picked up for nothing or next to nothing.  Imo they are place holders until prospects are ready to play.

Boucher, Chaput, Megna*, Skille, Shore, Molino*, LaPlante*, Carcone*, Zalewski, MacEwen*, Cramarossa

Only those with a * have contracts for next year.  Gaunce will be signed but the rest?  We may not even see at camp.

True enough!

Chaput, Megna, MacEwan Cramarossa are all under contract I think. The only one who has a chance with the Canucks is Chaput IMO. With a new coach maybe not. I will be surprised if Gaunce is not in the line up next fall. He has the size to compete and is smart enough. I thought he had a decent season for a first year.

8 hours ago, Boudrias said:

True enough!

Chaput, Megna, MacEwan Cramarossa are all under contract I think. The only one who has a chance with the Canucks is Chaput IMO. With a new coach maybe not. I will be surprised if Gaunce is not in the line up next fall. He has the size to compete and is smart enough. I thought he had a decent season for a first year.

I looked it up.  As of today, only those with a * have a contract for next year fwiw

Edited by Crabcakes

On 4/10/2017 at 8:48 AM, Ronaldoescobar said:

Time to end the experiment and let Boucher go. We already signed Megna.

Which was a  huge mistake.  Boucher's shown signs he could at least become a reasonable fill-in at the NHL level.  Megna's sample size was large enough to make it abundantly clear that he's completely useless at the NHL level and isn't an acceptable option even in an emergency.  Benning needs to do everything necessary to ensure that Megna never plays another game for the Canucks under any circumstances.  Keeping Boucher helps with that.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

He did some quite pudgy and a bit slow (his skating is his biggest weakness IMO). I don't know where he'll fit next year but he'll be battling it out for one of the following positions:

Sedin-Sedin-Granlund

Baertschi-Horvat-Boeser

Eriksson-Sutter-???

???-???-Dorsett

Every coach has systems and Boucher will still be expected to pay attention to the details; especially if he wants to play a larger role. Holding different types of players to different standards doesn't work. (And yes, I include the Sedins in that. They would do better with shorter shifts and lesser D opponents.)

He should watch how the vets train and learn from them. At their age, the Sedins still come in camp in top fitness. That is Boucher's only hope of grabbing a roster spot on a healthy roster.

Man the Canucks upfront look extremely small and soft.

Considering Baertschi, Goldobin, and Granlund all a shade under 6 feet, and not stocky in anyway, can't see how the forward group can carry this many small forwards.

I don't see any room for Boucher in the top six.  

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Man the Canucks upfront look extremely small and soft.

Considering Baertschi, Goldobin, and Granlund all a shade under 6 feet, and not stocky in anyway, can't see how the forward group can carry this many small forwards.

I don't see any room for Boucher in the top six.  

I think he's got a very underated shot and if he comes into camp in shape, will be certainly contending the skilled Europeans for a spot. Goldobin, Dahlen and Boeser all need a bit of a push, they can't be gifted a roster spot and I think that's what Boucher provides at the very least.

1 hour ago, RWMc1 said:

Every coach has systems and Boucher will still be expected to pay attention to the details; especially if he wants to play a larger role. Holding different types of players to different standards doesn't work. (And yes, I include the Sedins in that. They would do better with shorter shifts and lesser D opponents.)

He should watch how the vets train and learn from them. At their age, the Sedins still come in camp in top fitness. That is Boucher's only hope of grabbing a roster spot on a healthy roster.

It's likely pretty hard to be a complete player (paying attention to the details of defensive responsibilities) when you are not in top shape.  This guy could be a real steal if he could get into Sedin shape!  

If the extent of Boucher's thinking is that he would play better as a top 6 player then I do not think he gets it. Desjardin was not the first NHL coach or GM who have talked to him about being in shape. Boucher was a long shot to begin with. I hope he comes to TC in great shape. As weak as the Van forward group is I doubt he breaks the lineup.  

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Boudrias said:

If the extent of Boucher's thinking is that he would play better as a top 6 player then I do not think he gets it. Desjardin was not the first NHL coach or GM who have talked to him about being in shape. Boucher was a long shot to begin with. I hope he comes to TC in great shape. As weak as the Van forward group is I doubt he breaks the lineup.  

Very tempted to agree with you on the not making it. Honestly, where does he fit in?

Let's see - 1st line: Baer, Horvat and...likely Boeser. Boucher isn't going to be out Brock, not unless there is an injury

Ok, next - 2nd line: Sedin, Sedin and...either Goldobin or Eriksson. Boucher just does not fit in with the Twins, other than being a shooter. Again, barring injury, no chance on this line

So then - 3rd line: Granlund, Sutter and...hmm, maybe. Eriksson (if not with the twins), possibly Virt, possibly Dahlen. Boucher could go here, IF...Virt doesn't show it in training camp and Dahlen needs some North American rink adjustment time. But wait, Eriksson... so no, not here

That leaves - 4th line: Dorsett, Gaunce (or Chaput) and...no, not gritty enough or fast enough. Best fits here would be Molina, Virt or Crammarosa. Oh yeah, just remembered, Rodin also (if he's back next year).

I don't doubt that Boucher is talented. He scored way too much in junior for him not to be. But I just have problems seeing him make the team next year. To me, he most likely will be sent down to Utica, if he makes it through waivers (no guarantee). If he does, then I would hope he 1) sees it as a chance to get some serious ice time and get noticed, 2) work on his two-way game, and 3) don't mope because he just isn't quite true NHL material. He would have been better than Vey, I think, but he happened along at about the time the team is finally starting to get some depth. Maybe not real high end skill, but definitely a little depth.

• Upvote 1

On April 23, 2017 at 10:44 AM, Crabcakes said:

Tbf, Maroon, Letestu and to a lesser extent Kassian are having career years. They're a big reason why the Oilers are pushing for the cup. It remains to be seen if this rise in form is a career highlight or more permanent. 

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, SILLY GOOSE said:

He needs to go on the Horvat program.  If he can do that he could be a great goal scorer

It's not the program he was on, it's the person he is.

Sadly not every prospect has the work ethic and commitment that Horvat has.

• Upvote 2