The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Most exciting run I've seen...

Where'd Luongo?

1 minute ago, hlinkas wrister said:

The 2011 team was the most complete Canucks team in their history, at times they were dominant. But the 2011 playoffs were nowhere near the sheer emotional rollercoaster that the 1994 playoffs were.

Nobody on earth can argue with that as a Cup was more or less expected in 2011 whereas '94 caught people by surprise as the team came together an played hero hockey at just the right time.

9 minutes ago, hlinkas wrister said:

The 2011 team was the most complete Canucks team in their history, at times they were dominant. But the 2011 playoffs were nowhere near the sheer emotional rollercoaster that the 1994 playoffs were.

Agreed.  The 2011 team was an amazing team but everyone knew that and they were expected to win.  The 1982 and 1994 playoff runs were more emotional simply because they were so unexpected and we had to overcome a skill disadvantage just about every game through massive effort and team play.  It's the '82 and '94 teams that prove that anything can happen we just have to get our foot in the door (i.e. make the playoffs).  I'm not saying that it is anywhere near probable but it is always possible to win if a team believes in itself (and is willing to put in the extra effort needed to win).  I like that we are trying to win now AND build a better team for later.  Screw the media, and the low-self-esteem tanker bandwagon fans, we're really not all that far away.  We just have to ignore all the many haters and believe in ourselves like the '82 and '94 teams did. GCG!

28 minutes ago, nux_win said:

Agreed.  The 2011 team was an amazing team but everyone knew that and they were expected to win.  The 1982 and 1994 playoff runs were more emotional simply because they were so unexpected and we had to overcome a skill disadvantage just about every game through massive effort and team play.  It's the '82 and '94 teams that prove that anything can happen we just have to get our foot in the door (i.e. make the playoffs).  I'm not saying that it is anywhere near probable but it is always possible to win if a team believes in itself (and is willing to put in the extra effort needed to win).  I like that we are trying to win now AND build a better team for later.  Screw the media, and the low-self-esteem tanker bandwagon fans, we're really not all that far away.  We just have to ignore all the many haters and believe in ourselves like the '82 and '94 teams did. GCG!

That's a very good attitude. I like it. If they can find someone to click with the Sedins you never know. Bo and Baer are always better post Christmas. Keep faith and GCG!

57 minutes ago, Where'd Luongo? said:

Just watched this video, so exciting, so sad, but I'd watch that team any day...

It changed me from a moderate hockey fan to a hockey enthusiast. Kesler became my favourite player, Luongo my favourite goalie, Burrows a forever hero, and the Bruins became my all time most hated team.

Man, watching this made me rethink how it all really played out...

First of all, the Sedins were everywhere in those playoffs. Anybody arguing that they're not playoff performers take note. They were superb.

Secondly, Luongo actually played very well through the entire run. I will never forgive his performance in Game 7, it was abysmal. But I almost let that one game summarize his entire tenure in Vancouver and that's simply not fair. One strong game and he would have been remembered as a winner.

Lastly, what a supporting cast! Everybody was chipping in. Burrows, Hansen, Higgins, Lapierre, Torres.

Kesler taking over that Nashville series. What a deep team we had, and full of battlers.

I too was very young during the '94 run and had no idea what was going on at the time. All I knew was "Pavel Bure" meant something.

But the 2011 run was a magical time. Many beers involved. 

I even had a summer fling with a girl WAY out my league which started under the guise of "watching the playoffs". The longer the post-season lasted, the longer I got to have fun! Scary to think how long ago that was already, and where the team is now (as well as me personally!). 

Ah, the good ol' days.

8 minutes ago, nergish said:

Man, watching this made me rethink how it all really played out...

First of all, the Sedins were everywhere in those playoffs. Anybody arguing that they're not playoff performers take note. They were superb.

Secondly, Luongo actually played very well through the entire run. I will never forgive his performance in Game 7, it was abysmal. But I almost let that one game summarize his entire tenure in Vancouver and that's simply not fair. One strong game and he would have been remembered as a winner.

Lastly, what a supporting cast! Everybody was chipping in. Burrows, Hansen, Higgins, Lapierre, Torres.

Kesler taking over that Nashville series. What a deep team we had, and full of battlers.

I too was very young during the '94 run and had no idea what was going on at the time. All I knew was "Pavel Bure" meant something.

But the 2011 run was a magical time. Many beers involved. 

I even had a summer fling with a girl WAY out my league which started under the guise of "watching the playoffs". The longer the post-season lasted, the longer I got to have fun! Scary to think how long ago that was already, and where the team is now (as well as me personally!). 

Ah, the good ol' days.

I feel ya man, I just finished my first year of University that year. I watched the first and second series at a sports bar that is now torn down (Joe Dawgs in Saskatoon). I watched the third and final series in Lloydminster at a crappy bar, I was working there and didn't know anyone but made a ton of friends since everyone was there to watch the Canucks! Such great times, and for people as young as us, it seems like forever ago!

I've seen all 3 of our Cup runs. The 2011 team; without a few key injuries, we are the champs. Boston was the big, bad Bruins, but except for their goalie, Chara and that f***ing little pest Marchand, not anywhere near as talented as us. The '94 team, that was truly emotional, but it wasn't like the team didn't have some stars and a halfway good reason to be there (ahem, ever heard of Pavel Bure?). The '82 team...honestly they had NO business being there. That team was born against the Flames, when Curt Fraser absolutely pummeled someone. After that, the team took on Roger Neilson's character against Chicago. And against the Islanders, well...both teams pretty much played to their full potential in all 4 games (6-5, 6-4, 3-0, 3-1). But when Snepsts launched Mike Bossy, and he STILL FREAKIN' scored (!!!), you knew that it would take Holy intervention for us to win.

I'll take the '82 series as the most gut wrenching, at least until the Finals. That goes to the '94 team.

of course, no riot video to the sorry end.  both times in 94 and 2011, I was out of the country. Watching the riot unfold on tv was upsetting to an already bad result.

it takes special group of players to have a run like that. The west coast express era wasnt able to do it.

it took years to build that 2011 team. Will take the same for the next one. Optimistically, if JB gets it right, probably another 4-5 yrs. The D and goalie depth seems to be in the right direction. More doubt on the front end. JV, Boeser, etc.

1 hour ago, hlinkas wrister said:

I think '94 was a more complete team because they had skill, size, speed, intimidation and goaltending.

think the biggest gripe about the team is how the management wasnt able to keep it competitive for more years. They did win the prez trophy the next yr, but weren't built to beat heavy teams like LA. They didn't retool well. In contrast, teams like Hawks and Kings won multiple cups. Those teams had a younger core, and were able to get fresh quicker.

Archived