The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Most exciting run I've seen...

Where'd Luongo?

'94 team was built for the playoffs...  2011 was not.

'94 came down to the final seconds...  2011 was done after game 6.

Game 7 '94... if Cliff Ronning hadn't had his wrist broken earlier by a slash from that slimebag Messier, he would have the strength to roof the chance he had in the third and tie it up.  And if that happened, the Canucks would have won because they were definitely coming on.

Game 7 in 2011 was a case of going through the motions.

4 hours ago, Where'd Luongo? said:

Just watched this video, so exciting, so sad, but I'd watch that team any day...

It changed me from a moderate hockey fan to a hockey enthusiast. Kesler became my favourite player, Luongo my favourite goalie, Burrows a forever hero, and the Bruins became my all time most hated team.

First cup run made me a true canuck fan not only when we win like lots seem to be.but gotta say the 94 run to me was the best and closest we came of all the teams that went well the three I wish the 94 team won!

4 hours ago, hlinkas wrister said:

The 2011 team was the most complete Canucks team in their history, at times they were dominant. But the 2011 playoffs were nowhere near the sheer emotional rollercoaster that the 1994 playoffs were.

Nope, 1994 from management to the ice were a far better team in all areas. The goaltending, scoring, puck transition and over all team toughness makes 94 the best.

15 minutes ago, 6string said:

Nope, 1994 from management to the ice were a far better team in all areas. The goaltending, scoring, puck transition and over all team toughness makes 94 the best.

If you asked me which of the teams was my favorite I'd tell you the 94 squad, but they were one game over .500 and made the playoffs as the seventh seed in the west. The 2011 team led the league in wins, points, GF, GA, PP etc., statistically they probably won't be matched by another Canuck team in your lifetime. 94 was a great playoff team but 2011 was a better team. 

5 hours ago, hlinkas wrister said:

The 2011 team was the most complete Canucks team in their history, at times they were dominant. But the 2011 playoffs were nowhere near the sheer emotional rollercoaster that the 1994 playoffs were.

Yep. 2011 doesn't even come close to 1994.

The Amazing Trades Pat Quinn Made To Build 1994 Squad

by Zanstorm  Jul 17, 2010, 8:13pm PDT

The legendary Pat Quinn will be inducted into the Canucks' Ring Of Honor on Sunday. Check out these beauty moves by Pat Quinn back in the day.

Here are some pieces that the Canucks put together to create their 1994 SuperTeam:

His first big move:

September 1987- New Jersey traded Greg Adams and Kirk McLean to Vancouver for Patrick Sundstrom and Canucks' 4th round pick Matt Ruchty. (Matt who??)

Montreal traded Gerald Diduck to Vancouver for draft pick Vladimir Vujtek in January 1991.

In March 1991, St. Louis traded Geoff Courtnall, Cliff Ronning, Sergio Momesso, Robert Dirk, and futures to Vancouver for Dan Quinn and Garth Butcher. Thanks Blues!

June 1991- Minnesota traded Dave Babych to Vancouver for Tom Kurvers.

March 1993- Hartford traded Murray Craven and a pick to Vancouver for Robert Kron. Vancouver then completed the deal in May by sending Jim Sandlak to Hartford.

January 1994- Vancouver signed Martin Gelinas off of waivers from Quebec.

February 1994- Vancouver signed Brian Glynn off waivers from Ottawa.

March 1994- Vancouver traded Craig Janney to St. Louis for Bret Hedican, Jeff Brown, and Nathan Lafayette.

Pat drafted Trevor Linden in the 1988 Entry Draft and Pavel Bure in the 1989 Draft. Phenomenal moves by the former President, General Manager and coach. The 1994 run was not only a testament to Quinn's vision of the team he wanted, but also to the players that bought into the system and bonded together to come within a goal to get to overtime in Game 7 of the Stanley Cup Finals against a stacked New York Rangers team.

This was the best run. Game #7 in round #1, Enough said there....

Who goes to war for 7 games x 4 rounds. :towel:

I'd rate the 2011 run second, third was 1982, great but once we met the Islanders after game one it was clear it was over. 1994, seemed like the whole run was edge of your seat with classic moments like game 7 against Calgary amd of course the mother of all elbows, it was an emotion rollercoaster ride right up to the end.

4 hours ago, hlinkas wrister said:

If you asked me which of the teams was my favorite I'd tell you the 94 squad, but they were one game over .500 and made the playoffs as the seventh seed in the west. The 2011 team led the league in wins, points, GF, GA, PP etc., statistically they probably won't be matched by another Canuck team in your lifetime. 94 was a great playoff team but 2011 was a better team. 

1994's team were Stanley Cup calibre for about three years previous to their run to the finals....

The 82 run is what made me a Canucks fan. At the start of the playoffs I was an Islanders fan. I saw Trottier play for the Lethbridge Broncos in the mid 70s and became a fan of his and followed his team in the NHL.

Canucks really had no business in the finals in 82 and that's what made it so exciting! Tiger, King Richard...so many players rose to the occasion.

94 I was living in the lower mainland and followed the team all year. I went to 3 playoff games that year in the coliseum! At the beginning of game 7 against the Rangers I said to my friends that there was going to be a riot downtown if we lost! I guess I was just picking up the emotion of the moment.

2011 I was living in the UK so only able to follow the team on the internet. Previous years I would wake up in the morning expecting the watch the highlights of a Vanvouver loss. The 10/11 seadon was so different. After they beat the Blackhawks I paid £40 to stream the rest of the playoffs. It was heartbreaking watching the team barely going through the motions (as a result of injury) in game 7 against the Bruins. It was even more hearbreaking when I got to work an hour after the game ended to see that Vancouver was burning again. 

To me 2011 was the year we should have won, 1994 was the year we deserved to win, and 1982 was the year I discovered what it means to be a Canuck fan. Sorry for rambling :-) GCG!

35 minutes ago, shiznak said:

The only exciting part of the 2011 run was the Chicago series.

I found Kesler taking over the Nashville series to be very entertaining. 

San Jose series was lacking excitement minus the stanchion goal.

I'm a long time Bruins fan going back to the Neely Bourque days so even though we lost the series seeing my favourite team and a team I like in the finals was great for me. 

13 hours ago, Where'd Luongo? said:

Just watched this video, so exciting, so sad, but I'd watch that team any day...

It changed me from a moderate hockey fan to a hockey enthusiast. Kesler became my favourite player, Luongo my favourite goalie, Burrows a forever hero, and the Bruins became my all time most hated team.

I know more than a few fans of the Blackhawks & Bruins who've said the Canucks were a pretty damn fun team to watch in those days.

No Flames fans though.

18 hours ago, Where'd Luongo? said:

I was only 4 so unfortunately I missed it...

So you're about 10 yrs old.... with a great username like that.

+1, five stars.

Don't let the final result fool you.

That Canuck team was the first team in a long, long time to lead the league in scoring and give up the fewest goals in the NHL.

You have to go back to the Montreal Canadians dynasty of decades ago to find a team that managed that.

One of the greatest teams of all time, whether or not they won their last game. 

Excuses are excuses and reality is reality - Boston was also a great team - and beating them with half a blueline was too tall an order, particularly while also being trolled by Kelly Sutherland, Chris Lee, Dan O'Halloran, Chris Rooney.....

Absolutely great team that didn't win, but still deserves to be considered among the best ever - not unlike the Montreal Expos of 1994.

31 minutes ago, oldnews said:

So you're about 10 yrs old.... with a great username like that.

+1, five stars.

Don't let the final result fool you.

That Canuck team was the first team in a long, long time to lead the league in scoring and give up the fewest goals in the NHL.

You have to go back to the Montreal Canadians dynasty of decades ago to find a team that managed that.

One of the greatest teams of all time, whether or not they won their last game. 

Excuses are excuses and reality is reality - Boston was also a great team - and beating them with half a blueline was too tall an order, particularly while also being trolled by Kelly Sutherland, Chris Lee, Dan O'Halloran, Chris Rooney.....

Absolutely great team that didn't win, but still deserves to be considered among the best ever - not unlike the Montreal Expos of 1994.

I was 4 during the '94 series and I'm 26 now, but I still think my handle is pure gold :)

Side note, didn't the Expos get screwed in their best season as there was a lockout?

Archived