The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Discussion) winning now hurting the team longterm?

orcasgonewild

Hello CDC, I know this is a controversial topic among Canucks fans and the few ppl around the league that still pay attention to us. 

ASK YOURSELF THIS QUESTIONS: if the Canucks make the playoffs do u realistically think they get past the first round? And Lets say Canucks don't get that wildcard spot, are you prepared for a bad so-so draft pick along with the disappointment of lack of deadline moves and same roster next year? 

Don't get me wrong, I love how the team is winning and has a chance to compete in the playoffs but.....

We need Young assets with top line to second line potential.

With players of the Sedins magnitude retiring that leaves our team in an awkward limbo without top line centre and top wingers.

Our team has strong goaltending and defensive prospects so that's not the issue

Again I'm happy the Canucks are competing but long term boeser is potentially our only top line winger. 

We need more depth and with the 2018 draft being as deep as it is I think we should sell our older assets for younger assets. 

I also think we should be sellers at this year's draft.

Do u agree with me or are u liking the team's direction? 

5 minutes ago, orcasgonewild said:

Hello CDC, I know this is a controversial topic among Canucks fans and the few ppl around the league that still pay attention to us. 

ASK YOURSELF THIS QUESTIONS: if the Canucks make the playoffs do u realistically think they get past the first round? And Lets say Canucks don't get that wildcard spot, are you prepared for a bad so-so draft pick along with the disappointment of lack of deadline moves and same roster next year? 

Don't get me wrong, I love how the team is winning and has a chance to compete in the playoffs but.....

With players of the Sedins magnitude retiring that leaves our team in an awkward limbo without top line centre and top wingers.

Again I'm happy the Canucks are competing but long term boeser is potentially our only top line winger. 

We need more depth and with the 2018 draft being as deep as it is I think we should sell our older assets for younger assets. 

it's not controversial, just stupid

The way Miller and Markstrom have been playing, the will to stay in games besides being outmatched, the numerous comebacks and for the most part our solid defensive play. We could go on a Cinderella run. You never know.

82 and 94 came out of the blue and Brodeur and McLean stole the show both times.

We have the goaltending to do it that's for sure, I always want to see the boys win.

6 minutes ago, shayster007 said:

I love the direction. I would rather watch a team play their best hockey and fight for wins, over a embarrassing tear down like the Leafs. I'm entirely on board with what JB is doing here.  

But you're forced to watch this brand of hockey... where you cheer a bounce off the glass to clear the zone... instead of expecting tic-tac-toe passing on a nightly basis.

Sell off Miller, Hansen, burrows and whomever for picks at the deadline sink and hopeful you can draft top 5

the faster you get those picks to draft the players, the faster they get in your system and start developing,  the faster they get in your line up.

its simple. If the Canucks draw minny in the first round will the building be sold out and a buzz in the air? no, no one will really care to be invest their time, money and stress levels in the series because they Aren't contenders and they'll get bounced in 5 games. 

Or god forbid they finish 10th and don't acquire any picks at the deadline. You can't take anything away from this season to help build for the next chapter.

31 minutes ago, orcasgonewild said:

The team is finding ways to win, what more can you ask for? How about just play hard every night and let things play out. If we make the playoffs great. If not, get back to the drawing board. You should never plan to lose no matter what the outcome may be. Especially if you are playing professional sports. Its unfair to your team and the fans.

We need more picks. And have to sell a d man or trade for those. What we can get for a Edler/Tanev will offset the drop in drafting order.

Also I'd like Granlund Baer and Bo Stech Try and a couple of our role players to get a taste of the playoffs and learn from it.

Canucks aren’t really hurting themselves by winning.  Despite what the media has said, canucks were never really bad enough to finish bottom 3.   At worst this team is a 5th-8th place team, at best this team is a 12-15th placed team.  That’s not a huge difference in draft quality.  Players in the range tend to have no guarantees to be better than a player 5 spots below them. But by winning this team is really seeing what players like Bo can do.

Archived