The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Discussion) winning now hurting the team longterm?

orcasgonewild

20 hours ago, Blömqvist said:

I'm definitely team tank because I'm really high on Nico Hischier, but if the young guys continue to develop and become more consistent in their game and the Canucks figure out a way to score (or trade for someone who can) then I could see them go on a Cinderella run. 

I think Gudbranson's injury is somewhat a blessing in disguise because Tryamkin gets valuable playing time to develop. If at the trade deadline and we're in a playoff spot or in the hunt for a playoff spot I could see Benning pulling a trade of Tanev+ for a 1st line forward (cough Duchene cough). Because at that time Gudbranson would be coming back from injury and our 6 dmen would be Edler, Stecher, Sbisa, Tryamkin, Hutton, and Gudbranson -- all of whom are capable of playing top-4 minutes. A good mix of size and nastiness on the backend but also mobility and puck movement. Add in a 1st line forward like Duchene and with the return of Hansen and Rodin from injury then all of a sudden we'll have three lines that can get hot and score on any given night. Plus two more-than-capable goaltenders in Miller and Markstrom.

Hmmmm... maybe we have more depth than I originally thought. Maybe we can be a true wildcard in the playoffs with continued development of the young guys, players returning from injury, and maybe a trade for offense. Or maybe we are that sixty-something point team that the media thinks we are and we're just playing way over our heads right now. 

But, you're named after an ECHL player so I feel like your judgement might be skewed.

5 hours ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

& with this, one is splitting hairs... :^/

Valid opinion

Some derive pleasure from pain, some like to gamble and others just hate losing.

I hate losing, NFA, and I'll never condone a full disrobe like the Leafs and Coilers have pulled. A foolish man of honour perhaps, but more likely just a sore loser.

Play to win. That being said, I did plead for a more aggressive tear-down when we traded Kesler. That summer was the opportune time to really shake it up without leaving a team in dire straights and do an age adjustment. Instead we went into the season with Richardson, Matthias, Higgins, Bieksa etc... and missed the boat. We had an opportunity at that time to address the age gap and get some prospects along the way, without tanking. But that tank has sailed.

3 minutes ago, luckylager said:

Valid opinion

Some derive pleasure from pain, some like to gamble and others just hate losing.

I hate losing, NFA, and I'll never condone a full disrobe like the Leafs and Coilers have pulled. A foolish man of honour perhaps, but more likely just a sore loser.

Play to win. That being said, I did plead for a more aggressive tear-down when we traded Kesler. That summer was the opportune time to really shake it up without leaving a team in dire straights and do an age adjustment. Instead we went into the season with Richardson, Matthias, Higgins, Bieksa etc... and missed the boat. We had an opportunity at that time to address the age gap and get some prospects along the way, without tanking. But that tank has sailed.

Agreed Lucky. Essentially boils down to a cleaning GM's dirty task. Wanted a full cleaning in 2014, myself. If we're honest, JB & TL's gameplan is starting to bear fruit & show potential.

No question, there's a measure of honour in how Van has conducted their roster-reload.

4 hours ago, Boudrias said:

Skille because he has shown a solid season as a 4th line addition. Yes, playoff bound teams do need 4th liners at times. lol

If a team is looking to upgrade their 4th line, and they are in a better position than we are, wouldn't a 4th liner from our team be a downgrade? I think they would be looking upwards of our 4th line to improve their team, otherwise that's just counter-intuitive for the team we would be trading with. 

13 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Agreed Lucky. Essentially boils down to a cleaning GM's dirty task. Wanted a full cleaning in 2014, myself. If we're honest, JB & TL's gameplan is starting to bear fruit & show potential.

No question, there's a measure of honour in how Van has conducted their roster-reload.

If nothing else, they are men of honour and I fully appreciate and respect that. JB's had a few "rainman" picks and a couple of very astute trades to boot.

At this point it doesn't matter if you wanted a rebuild or the type of retool that Vancouver is doing.  The retool path has been firmly taken, Benning isn't all of a sudden going to trade every vet away for draft picks.  Vancouver isn't going to be drafting 1st overall.  Might as well sit back and hope the team makes the playoffs so you can watch some playoff hockey.

If you're on team tank then don't worry.  Eventually a rebuild will come, just not under this GM. 

2 hours ago, CanadianRugby said:

At this point it doesn't matter if you wanted a rebuild or the type of retool that Vancouver is doing.  The retool path has been firmly taken, Benning isn't all of a sudden going to trade every vet away for draft picks.  Vancouver isn't going to be drafting 1st overall.  Might as well sit back and hope the team makes the playoffs so you can watch some playoff hockey.

If you're on team tank then don't worry.  Eventually a rebuild will come, just not under this GM

It would be a different story if the Sedins and Eriksson were 'carrying' the team,but they're not....Its now the younger players on the ascendant that are throwing a wrench into team tank,and there's more on the way..........That 1st overall has been spoken for weeks ago by the inept Av's and Coyotes.

On 1/18/2017 at 2:49 PM, shayster007 said:

I love the direction. I would rather watch a team play their best hockey and fight for wins, over a embarrassing tear down like the Leafs. I'm entirely on board with what JB is doing here.  

If this is Canucks best hockey you are in trouble. The Canucks are slow and play boring hockey. Should have lost last night

I think having our young core playing in the playoffs, maybe even winning a couple games and heck winning a series would be HUGE and far better for this team moving forward than losing, ruining our young guys development in a losing environment but drafting better.

A whole bunch of skilled kids in a losing environment rarely works.

A bunch of less skilled but playoff-experienced kids is far better moving forward.

Say we all buy into this loser Koolaid ya'll are selling...may I ask:

AT WHAT POINT DO WE HAVE YOUR PERMISSION TO START WINNING?

Sooner or later the point of the rebuild would be to start winning again...I'm with sooner.

10 hours ago, bobg11 said:

If this is Canucks best hockey you are in trouble. The Canucks are slow and play boring hockey. Should have lost last night

It probably is, with the players available to them... however it takes a bit of time to get the team rebuilt. 2 more drafts and the foundation for a real competitive team could be there. And thats with players, who has been taught to play to win... always. 

I think the 'never quit' attitude we've seen most nights is a direct result of management setting the goal of getting a playoff spot. Our younger guys aren't just learning, they're expected to win and they are figuring out how to do that on a lot of nights where they probably shouldn't have won. Is that worth dropping from 5th to 16th in the draft? Yup. If they do get lucky and squeak into a wildcard spot the taste of the playoffs will be worth it for player development as well.

The fallacy of the tankist's is that they think the only way to get "elite" is to draft it, and that's not the case. Jim has to go out and get one more "elite" talent elsewhere than the draft- college FAs, UFAs and trades. Is that guaranteed? No, but neither is the draft.

13 hours ago, CanadianRugby said:

If you're on team tank then don't worry.  Eventually a rebuild will come, just not under this GM. 

I think JB is guy who wins a lot of card games. Not them all, but a lot. 

We Will have 14 mil coming off the cap after next season. If the twins resign, if, it would be for way less based on their current level of play. 

Leaves a lot of room to add a very good, ney, great piece in FA.  I hear Tavares hasn't been happy in NY. We may have no chance, but we will have some great young players, goalies and can offer up a ton of cash. As much as any club in the league.  

JB might have an inside straight in the offing. 

EW

This is not the draft to tank for. I'm happy to play it out and draft in the 10-20 range if thats where were headed. however I won't be surprised in the least if we come crashing back down as teams ramp up heading into the playoffs and we draft top 10. There isn't anyone in this draft worth tossing the season for so I'd like to see some of that winning environment.

15 hours ago, luckylager said:

If nothing else, they are men of honour and I fully appreciate and respect that. JB's had a few "rainman" picks and a couple of very astute trades to boot.

I really do think the draft is like Christmas to Benning. From the videos posted of him in previous drafts, it seems like there's an extra spring in his step as draft day approaches. I have confidence he'll get us a good player wherever we draft. Even if our first rounder turns out to be similar to Virtanen, he'll unearth some gems in the later rounds.

If it were the Sedins leading the way and we were a bubble team, I could see OPs point. But when a big part of why we are winning recently is due to guys like Bo and Bear stepping up, Stech and Tryam making huge strides on D, isn't that what we want? There are not going to be any buyers at the deadline. Nobody is taking contracts. The draft is looking pretty weak. Our young guys making leaps forwards is the kind of progress you want to see in this kind of year.

8 hours ago, Eastcoast meets Westcoast said:

I think JB is guy who wins a lot of card games. Not them all, but a lot. 

We Will have 14 mil coming off the cap after next season. If the twins resign, if, it would be for way less based on their current level of play. 

Leaves a lot of room to add a very good, ney, great piece in FA.  I hear Tavares hasn't been happy in NY. We may have no chance, but we will have some great young players, goalies and can offer up a ton of cash. As much as any club in the league.  

JB might have an inside straight in the offing. 

EW

Tavares isn't leaving NYI (he said he's committed to the team), especially to a junk team like the Canucks.  Winning the cup through free agency barely worked when there was no cap, now it doesn't work at all.  If you give a ton of money to a FA, then still pay Eriksson and give a raise to Gudbranson.. where are you getting money to pay Horvat, Hutton, Baertschi, Markstrom (or whoever next starter is) etc...

Archived