The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Article] Bo on Hank

Down by the River

Nice piece from MacIntyre:

http://vancouversun.com/sports/hockey/nhl/vancouver-canucks/iain-macintyre-bo-knows-he-learned-it-from-henrik

Asked before this season to describe the difference between aspiring to first-line status and actually being on the Vancouver Canucks’ top forward line, Henrik Sedin referred to the moment a decade earlier when he and his brother Danny eclipsed Markus Naslund and Brendan Morrison.

“The years before, if we didn’t score, everyone blamed Nazzy,” Hank said. “All of a sudden, we’re in the spotlight and we need to score. It’s easy to say you want it, but it’s not easy to have to be there every night.”

When Bo Horvat isn’t scoring, people still blame the Sedins if the Canucks lose. But Horvat knows that safety net is shrinking.

The third-year centre is the National Hockey League team’s leading scorer. With 13 goals and 17 assists in 46 games, he is one point ahead of Henrik.

“It seems like we’re getting matched against one of the top two lines every night,” Horvat said after the Nashville win. “Every night we’re getting tough matchups. We just have to overcome that and be better. It makes it a lot tougher, but that’s where the consistency part has to come in to play every night.

“The biggest thing in being on a top line is you’re expected to do good things every night. Getting that consistency in your game, where you’re doing things at both ends of the ice to make you successful on a daily basis, is huge in taking that next step.”

Bo knows. He learned it from Henrik.

With Sedin about to become the first Canuck to amass 1,000 points in the NHL – he passed Naslund as the franchise’s all-time leading scorer 243 points and nearly four years ago – it’s almost impossible to miss the connection between Henrik, 36, and Horvat, 21.

They come from small towns and are humble, accountable, unselfish and driven. The Sedins broke through the modest offensive ceilings projected for them, just as Horvat appears to be doing now. They are more complete players than forecast. Sure, Henrik has 999 points. But he’s also plus-204 in his career.

Henrik has been the Canucks’ captain for seven seasons. Horvat should become captain when Hank retires.

When the Sedins signed their four-year, US$28-million contract extensions three years ago — finally getting close to market value after playing for many years at a discount — former assistant general manager Laurence Gilman explained that the Sedins’ worth to the franchise went way beyond what they would earn on the ice.

The dressing-room culture the Sedins have created is reflected in Horvat and other young Canucks.

“It just seems like they never have a bad day,” Horvat said. “They always come to the rink with a smile on their face and are so positive with everybody. That’s such a hard thing to do in a market like this with media and fans on you. Seeing that is the thing I admire the most.

“Playing behind (Henrik) has made me the player I am now. And the way he handles himself in the community, and all that stuff, and seeing how much he brings to this organization, it’s incredible to watch and it makes you want to be better as a player and a person.”

“The biggest thing Hank’s ever done for me was come up to me when I was in that huge slump,” Horvat said. “It kind of calmed me down and right after that my season took off. I’ll remember that for the rest of my career, the rest of my life. For a veteran guy, a captain, to come up to me like that, come out of his way to talk to me, it was pretty special.

“You always hear about leaving the jersey in a better place than when you found it. Hank and Danny are doing that right now.

“You always want to leave the jersey in a better place after you leave. Hank and Danny are doing that right now.”

TL;DR

59 minutes ago, Down by the River said:

Nice piece from MacIntyre:

When the Sedins signed their four-year, US$28-million contract extensions three years ago — finally getting close to market value after playing for many years at a discount — former assistant general manager Laurence Gilman explained that the Sedins’ worth to the franchise went way beyond what they would earn on the ice.

The dressing-room culture the Sedins have created is reflected in Horvat and other young Canucks.

“It just seems like they never have a bad day,” Horvat said. “They always come to the rink with a smile on their face and are so positive with everybody. That’s such a hard thing to do in a market like this with media and fans on you. Seeing that is the thing I admire the most.

“Playing behind (Henrik) has made me the player I am now. And the way he handles himself in the community, and all that stuff, and seeing how much he brings to this organization, it’s incredible to watch and it makes you want to be better as a player and a person.”

The biggest thing Hank’s ever done for me was come up to me when I was in that huge slump,” Horvat said. “It kind of calmed me down and right after that my season took off. I’ll remember that for the rest of my career, the rest of my life. For a veteran guy, a captain, to come up to me like that, come out of his way to talk to me, it was pretty special.

I wanted to highlight the comments about team culture that the Sedins bring.  This is an intangible that is so often overlooked in the media and here on CDC

Here's the quote from an I-Mac article in the National Post last year:  Mar 9, 2016

"He credits the offensive turnaround to a conversation he had with Sedin before a game in Philadelphia on Dec. 17 [2015] when the Canucks’ captain skated up to him and, as they slowly circled the ice, told Horvat how much he had struggled to score early in his career.

“I just asked him if he knew how many games I went my fourth year without scoring,” Sedin recalled. “He said, ‘Maybe 10.’ I said, ‘No, no. Thirty-two.’ He was surprised.”

http://news.nationalpost.com/sports/nhl/its-an-off-year-thats-all-it-is-vancouver-canucks-bo-horvat-struggles-but-matures-in-prominent-role

Don't give me any BS that this stuff is not important.  

43 minutes ago, blackpluto96 said:

Mentors? Who needs them. Ship out everyone over 30!

Torch, meet Bo.:lol:

I know you're kidding.

As most know, the Sedins bare their hearts on and off the ice. Tired of the "trade sedins" comments and "they don't deserve any special treatment, they are paid to be professionals". If as an employer I was lucky enough to have these two, they would have every opportunity to stay and retire from my team. Truely inspirational people.

Seriously love these guys. I clearly remember that article about Henrik coming up to Bo; I loved it then, and I love it now. If Henrik is having that kind of an impact on one player, then what about the rest of them? What about the stories we don't hear? They might not generate what some (or most?) people feel is 7 million worth of points, but we're obviously getting our money's worth in other areas. 

One day, perhaps we'll be reading about how Horvat has done the same thing for someone else.

Love this, Bo has and is still learning from the twins and getting to see what kind of players and people they are on likely a daily basis. Most people don't get that privilege, but it's a shame so many can't see the twins for what they are and have been nonetheless.

5 minutes ago, vinny_in_vancouver said:

A lot of the tankers I know the past 2 years wanted us to tank to increase the chances of the Sedins to get the Cup. Just imagine if they had Laine or Draisatl playing with them in their line. 

To get Laine last year we would have actually had to have won more games. Not less. 

28 minutes ago, J.R. said:

To get Laine last year we would have actually had to have won more games. Not less. 

I'm fully aware of that - note that I could have just as easily made the case for McDavid in which case just it would be just a few less wins. And if we had the number 1 pick, maybe we would have gotten Laine instead. The whole point was that the tankers that I know of wanted to tank because they really believed that was the best way for the Sedins to get another decent shot at the Cup.

2 hours ago, blackpluto96 said:

Mentors? Who needs them. Ship out everyone over 30!

Torch, meet Bo.:lol:

Whatdya mean?  Shoulda traided the Sedins for late firsts and B prospects then sign Ribiero to a short contract to take 1st line minutes and mentor the youngins.  What could go wrong?

1 minute ago, Wilbur said:

Whatdya mean?  Shoulda traided the Sedins for late firsts and B prospects then sign Ribiero to a short contract to take 1st line minutes and mentor the youngins.  What could go wrong?

nothing like a nanny r**ist to mentor our future captain

Archived