The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Article] Bo on Hank

Down by the River

The Sedins may not be producing what they are worth as of today but what they bring to the team and to their teammates is something real special that only the Sedins can bring. They provide so much help to our community and I've never hated on the Sedins because they are good role models for our young ones coming and blossoming into our lineup like Baer and Bo. them actually scoring points on the board is just icing on the cake imo and they deserve to be named into the HOF one day and most likely will.

Well that's embarrassing, I just teared up reading the " “The biggest thing Hank’s ever done for me was come up to me when I was in that huge slump,” Horvat said. “It kind of calmed me down and right after that my season took off. I’ll remember that for the rest of my career, the rest of my life. For a veteran guy, a captain, to come up to me like that, come out of his way to talk to me, it was pretty special.

... LOCK HIM UP ALREADY!!!!

8 years 36 mill! - 4.5AAV  .... now hear me out

Front load

Year 1: 10 mill 

**Over extend buy vancouver real estate 

Year 2: 10 mill 

Year 3: 10 mill 

Minimizing his taxes as he's losing $$ 

Year 4: 3 mill 

5: 0.750k

6: 0.750k

7: 0.750k

8: 0.750k

By end of year 8 his 36 mill should be worth 60 mill at least. 

Now Jimbo doesn't know anything about math and contracts... if only we had MG to convince him on a deal like this. 

16 hours ago, logic said:

I think 16 22 and 33 should be the only # in the rafters for the canucks, no disrespect to Smyl or Naslund but I think ROH and a section of seating would be more appropriate for those guys.

Naslund basically saved the franchise coming out of the Keenan Messier years.

There was nothing here. Nothing. Nobody was coming to games, McCaw was looking at selling or relocating... then Naslund and the west coast express kind of accidentally happened. Then the Sedins found out how to be hockey players in North America, and we got basically 12 years of good entertainment from all of it.

Naslund retirement doesn't bother me in the slightest. He took the C after the garbage fire that was Messier and turned the team around and laid a lot of groundwork for it.

If they'd had more consistent goaltending in 2000-2004 they'd have had a cup, I'm sure of it.

14 minutes ago, apollo said:

Well that's embarrassing, I just teared up reading the " “The biggest thing Hank’s ever done for me was come up to me when I was in that huge slump,” Horvat said. “It kind of calmed me down and right after that my season took off. I’ll remember that for the rest of my career, the rest of my life. For a veteran guy, a captain, to come up to me like that, come out of his way to talk to me, it was pretty special.

... LOCK HIM UP ALREADY!!!!

8 years 36 mill! - 4.5AAV  .... now hear me out

Front load

Year 1: 10 mill 

Year 2: 10 mill 

Year 3: 10 mill 

Minimizing his taxes as he's losing $$ 

Year 4: 3 mill 

5: 0.750k

6: 0.750k

7: 0.750k

8: 0.750k

By end of year 8 his 36 mill should be worth 60 mill at least. 

Now Jimbo doesn't know anything about math and contracts... if only we had MG to convince him on a deal like this. 

The following year salary cannot be less than 50% of the preceeding year. So Yr3 is 10m, yr4 cannot be less than 5m, and if 5m, yr5 cannot be less than 2.5m.

Couple that with the lockout year likely being a signing bonus year rather than a salary year (no cap implications but perhaps team salary implications) and that just won't work.

Also, it's not enough for him.

14 minutes ago, brownky said:

The following year salary cannot be less than 50% of the preceeding year. So Yr3 is 10m, yr4 cannot be less than 5m, and if 5m, yr5 cannot be less than 2.5m.

Couple that with the lockout year likely being a signing bonus year rather than a salary year (no cap implications but perhaps team salary implications) and that just won't work.

Also, it's not enough for him.

Didn't know that rule change... My bad! 

3 hours ago, Tunderwood said:

This is a bad counter point.  

You missed the point - my point was about the tankers' motivation and NOT the effectiveness of their approach. There seems to be an underlying feeling among some posters here that the tankers don't care about the Sedins winning the Cup. For the tankers that I know of, that is very much opposite of what they want. The reason why they are so impatient and wanted to tank is because they know that the Sedins' window is closing so fast. They want the Sedins to get a decent shot at winning the Cup before they retire - hence, try to get more top-end talent as quickly as possible. I definitely understand the riskiness of relying on the lottery, but I don't argue with their motivation.

Man oh man, seeing the Sedins enter the league all those years ago and hearing the media and fans rip them apart, calling them the 'sisters', to see how far they've come... it will be an emotional day when they retire.  Honestly, these 2 players are a couple of the most special players this franchise has ever had.  To win the scoring race back-to-back (1 each of course) sets them apart from any other player that has worn a Canucks jersey.   Enjoy the rest of the ride.  When these 2 are gone, we'll all look back and realize how special the moments were when the magic of Sedinery hit the ice.

58 minutes ago, vinny_in_vancouver said:

You missed the point - my point was about the tankers' motivation and NOT the effectiveness of their approach. There seems to be an underlying feeling among some posters here that the tankers don't care about the Sedins winning the Cup. For the tankers that I know of, that is very much opposite of what they want. The reason why they are so impatient and wanted to tank is because they know that the Sedins' window is closing so fast. They want the Sedins to get a decent shot at winning the Cup before they retire - hence, try to get more top-end talent as quickly as possible. I definitely understand the riskiness of relying on the lottery, but I don't argue with their motivation.

Fair enough. Thanks for clearing it up. I was responding mostly to the 'Could you imagine the Sedins playing with Laine' part. 

Because in that year the Canucks actually had a better chance at him than the Jets did. 

To be clear also, I am not against the thought process that leads to "tanking". I just think tanking at this point is unnecessary.  

The Sedins should retire here, cup or not. They are imperative to the development of our future core, which already has a good foundation with Horvat, Boeser, Demko and Juolevi. Not to mention Hutton, Tryamkin, Baertschi, Stecher, Granlund, etc. 

I know I may have taken the convo to a different place there, but that's where I stand. 

12 minutes ago, Tunderwood said:

Fair enough. Thanks for clearing it up. I was responding mostly to the 'Could you imagine the Sedins playing with Laine' part. 

Because in that year the Canucks actually had a better chance at him than the Jets did. 

To be clear also, I am not against the thought process that leads to "tanking". I just think tanking at this point is unnecessary.  

The Sedins should retire here, cup or not. They are imperative to the development of our future core, which already has a good foundation with Horvat, Boeser, Demko and Juolevi. Not to mention Hutton, Tryamkin, Baertschi, Stecher, Granlund, etc. 

I know I may have taken the convo to a different place there, but that's where I stand. 

I hear ya. In my case, with regards to getting the Sedins another chance at the Cup, I think the time for tanking is over as we are just not bad enough any more to get players that will make a difference. The best path is no longer via the draft but via the more costly method of trading one or more of our stockpile of good, young prospect D-men (props to Benning) for a star forward. Based on what I'm hearing from his statements, though, he doesn't want to trade any of our young core. So we're left with Virtanen becoming elite much faster than what I think is reasonable for a big player like him.

2 hours ago, brownky said:

Naslund basically saved the franchise coming out of the Keenan Messier years.

There was nothing here. Nothing. Nobody was coming to games, McCaw was looking at selling or relocating... then Naslund and the west coast express kind of accidentally happened. Then the Sedins found out how to be hockey players in North America, and we got basically 12 years of good entertainment from all of it.

Naslund retirement doesn't bother me in the slightest. He took the C after the garbage fire that was Messier and turned the team around and laid a lot of groundwork for it.

If they'd had more consistent goaltending in 2000-2004 they'd have had a cup, I'm sure of it.

Burke was all about just being a competitive team (sound familiar). A team that might challenge for some kind of award, divisional, Conference not necessarily the cup. Burke had Keenan to thank for more than a few trades.

27 minutes ago, vinny_in_vancouver said:

I hear ya. In my case, with regards to getting the Sedins another chance at the Cup, I think the time for tanking is over as we are just not bad enough any more to get players that will make a difference. The best path is no longer via the draft but via the more costly method of trading one or more of our stockpile of good, young prospect D-men (props to Benning) for a star forward. Based on what I'm hearing from his statements, though, he doesn't want to trade any of our young core. So we're left with Virtanen becoming elite much faster than what I think is reasonable for a big player like him.

This is certainly not the year for a tank, the draft is just not strong enough.

Once the Sedins are gone the team won't have to tank, unless Benning can pull the string and take a chance on overpaying for that young talent.

I still think Florida would move a center, they didn't fire their coach with the idea of missing the playoffs this year. Hell put together a good enough deal and maybe get two of the three centers/wingers that are injured right now. Maybe Virtanen, Sbisa/Gubranson, Hansen and Columbus's 2nd for two of them and retain salary . The team is going to have to overpay to replace the Sedins, might as well do it now while they are still here.

On 1/19/2017 at 11:37 AM, vinny_in_vancouver said:

I'm fully aware of that - note that I could have just as easily made the case for McDavid in which case just it would be just a few less wins. And if we had the number 1 pick, maybe we would have gotten Laine instead. The whole point was that the tankers that I know of wanted to tank because they really believed that was the best way for the Sedins to get another decent shot at the Cup.

no matter how much you tank, you are still a pawn to the lottery balls.

Archived