The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Petition the Canucks - Henrik wants a Viking Clap to celebrate his 1000th point!

Bur14Kes17

I thought perhaps because Henrik actually confirmed this himself it might be worthy of it's own thread to see if we as fans can't help to make his request happen.

Hank already knows how he wants to celebrate his 1000 points on the occasion and I think as fans we owe that to him! Robthehockeyguy somehow got it out of him which is impressive since the Sedins aren't known for ever talking about themselves. Henrik wants a Viking Clap for his 1000 pts!!!

For those of you who aren't familiar with the Viking Clap. It was started by the Icelandic soccer team at the Euro Cup this past summer and has spread everywhere since. Obviously with Henrik and Daniels love for soccer, they've paid attention and love it as do most people. Other teams and countries have adopted the Viking Clap as a way to celebrate a victory but to my knowledge, no hockey team has ever used it. Perhaps in Europe, but the Canucks would be the first to do it in the NHL and this could become a hockey tradition that is entirely unique and was started in Vancouver. Roger Nielson started the towel waving in Vancouver which has spread across the NHL, Vancouvers Viking Clap could be next.

After Henriks next point, have Fin come out on the ice with his drum to lead the Clap along with Henrik. Rogers arena would go insane and for all intents and purposes, it might be the best rogers arena moment in a long time and a fitting tribute to a life long Swedish Canuck.

the best thing that I can think of would be to just continually keep trying to contact the Canucks, media members or players to get the message across. The best avenue might be Twitter, but try Instagram, Facebook, or email them directly. I've been tweeting Ben Kuzma, The Stanchion, Ian Macintyre, Harrison Mooney, Pass it to Bulis, and I can't remember who else, but the more people who do this can help get the message main stream! I'm looking around on the website but does anyone know if there a phone number we could call to try and get this straight to the Canucks?

Edit and Update!! Pass it To Bulis retweeted it out and another fan tagged Ryan Nichols who is the head director of Canucks Media and Entertainment and i got a response below!

Edit and Update again! Ryan Nichols Head Director of Canucks Media and Entertainment is now pumping the Viking Clap on Twitter!!  

here's a video in case you haven't seen it 

IMG_2240.PNG

IMG_2241.PNG

IMG_2242.PNG

4 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Would it be overkill to start doing that after a goal? (Henrik's 1000pt being the first time, of course)  Or is that too cocky as fans of a bubble team?

I don't think it'd be over kill per say, but to do it right, you need someone to lead it with a drum so it's coordinated and I kinda doubt anyone would be willing to stop the game to bring a drum out on the ice for it.

1 minute ago, Bur14Kes17 said:

I don't think it'd be over kill per say, but to do it right, you need someone to lead it with a drum so it's coordinated and I kinda doubt anyone would be willing to stop the game to bring a drum out on the ice for it.

Finn has his drum that he uses to start the "Go Canucks Go" chant. 

2 minutes ago, Justdean10 said:

Finn has his drum that he uses to start the "Go Canucks Go" chant. 

Ya I guess it could be started from the stands somewhere. Now that I think about it, Florida stopped the entire game to interview Jagr after he passed Messier, so the hell with it!!! Hank deserves a Viking Clap done properly!!! Bring Fin out on the ice with his drum right after his next point!!!

2 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Henrik's 1000pt, no doubt.  I meant would it be overkill and to do it after every goal.

Oh. Well yeah quite possibly for a team as bad as ours...

... but at the same time this could mark the start of a tradition. To be trend setters in sports, to cultivate our own Canucks culture, add some prestige to our team. Would be a way to commemorate Hank's legendary career for sure. 

I'm all for it! Totally should make it a thing.

Just now, Bur14Kes17 said:

Ya I guess it could be started from the stands somewhere. Now that I think about it, Florida stopped the entire game to interview Jagr after he passed Messier, so the hell with it!!! Hank deserves a Viking Clap done properly!!! Bring Fin out on the ice with his drum right after his next point!!!

I think it would be epic!! 
This is the first time I have heard of this clap.. but I think it's great. 

3 minutes ago, Bur14Kes17 said:

I'd also rather hear right after the goal. (what if the team loses he doesn't make first star).

Why not just use the video screen? If Aquaman wanted to he could have a little video made of someone in a viking outfit pounding the drum. If even some of the fans knew what was happening, I'm sure the rest would catch on soon. Do it!

3 minutes ago, suitup said:

Oh. Well yeah quite possibly for a team as bad as ours...

... but at the same time this could mark the start of a tradition. To be trend setters in sports, to cultivate our own Canucks culture, add some prestige to our team. Would be a way to commemorate Hank's legendary career for sure. 

I'm all for it! Totally should make it a thing.

I'm starting to think that too.  To hell what other people may think.  If Benning's vision comes to fruition and we have a tough as nails team to play against, that would be awesomely intimidating.

4 minutes ago, kilgore said:

I'd also rather hear right after the goal. (what if the team loses he doesn't make first star).

Why not just use the video screen? If Aquaman wanted to he could have a little video made of someone in a viking outfit pounding the drum. If even some of the fans knew what was happening, I'm sure the rest would catch on soon. Do it!

Proposals been edited! You guys are totally right. Do it right after he gets the point. He deserves it!

1 minute ago, S'all Good Man said:

won't we need training or something? 

Just now, Bur14Kes17 said:

Haha just Clap on the 3rd beat. Fin hits the drum twice, you Clap on the next beat. 

You could just have the word "CLAP" flash on the big screen when the time is right. Just like when it says "make some noise!" etc. It could be a video Fin drums along to. It would be rad.

As a Vancouverite that works for a company that has a ton of Icelanders working for it, I would freaking love this.

We had a bunch of our Icelandic friends out to Vancouver late last year and took them to their first hockey game.  They absolutely LOVED it.  But man they would have lost their minds if this happened at the game!

Archived