The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Building a Canucks Cup team

Type R

4 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

If you're talking about the Canucks trying to match the Bruins physicality in the series, I think they realized that they didn't have the horses for that race. In my mind, the main issue in the series was that the Sedins were completely neutralized by Chara and the Bruins defense. Once the top line was effectively neutered, the rest was cake.

It took greasy goals from Burrows, Lapierre, Torres, and the like to win games, not Sedinery, as that doesn't work so well when the Sedins get leveled and manhandled.

True, but answering in kind to actions taken against, would have done wonders for what was becoming a very fragile team mentality.

Our top line scored all 3 goals in the 3-2 OT win in game 2. The winner was more of an individual effort by burr, but the twins were in on all 3.

20 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Vancouver won two trohpies not sure that qualifies as many... Detroit has many at the league high of 6 since it inception in 86.  Only 15 teams have won it and only a handful more than once.  In fact we are in the same company as Boston and Chicago and one of Chicago's was in a shortened season.  We would have won easily if Tim Thomas didn't have an otherworldly season.  And we are in exclusive company winning back to back.   That team didn't have many flaws and I think if we kept Hodgson who anchored the 3rd line and Gillis just kept the course LA would have had a harder time although they won on another otherworldly performance by Quick.  

We won't contend again without stellar goaltending (which we are getting most nights now with mostly spare parts, a slow and aging first line and a good second line which appears that be the new core) four very good two way defenders and a first line.  Long way to go...Looking forward to the time I get to be excited over a trade like I was when Luongo came in...I knew we were going to be great as soon as I heard the news as he was always stopping 40 plus shots a game and on the highlight reel.  Demko does have some huge shoes to fill.  

Losing the reigning scoring leader for the first 3 games of that series hurt a lot too. Damn it Keith

For most of that year, that team was not four lines deep, only 3. Only for a brief time, between the trade deadline and Manny'so injury, could we actually ice 4 real lines.

Those top three lines were more than capable of handling 55 minutes per night, but it left us extra vulnerable to injury.

Credit to MG for recognising this and adding Lapierre and Higgins.

5 hours ago, TimberWolf said:

You do both but you do it in order. See JB is picking up complimentary pieces to a team with no identity.

The Kings win because they built a tough team around tough stars

The Hawks win because the built a fast team around fast stars

Gillis (before 2012) did the same complimenting the Sedin's with a puck possession team 

You don't make your stars fit your team, you make a team that fits your stars. 

Sometimes it goes the other way around in that  the stars are asked to fit the team.  Best examples of this is when Hitchcock had Modano play a 200 foot game and they became a force winning a cup and almost doing it again the following year.  Hulls line was given more free reign but Hitchcock groomed him as well preaching a team defensive system that altered the way he played for the rest of his career and primed him for his role later in Detroit.

The other example is better known in Bowman challenging Yzerman to go from all out offense to becoming arguably the best 200 foot player in the world for a five or six year stretch ( Federov also bought into this and became a selke worthy candidate). 

These guys were three superstar's that could have padded their stats but instead changed the way they played hockey.  It doesn't always work ie the Torts with the Sedins and Hunter with Ovechkin but it is a viable approach.

6 hours ago, Alflives said:

On the one hand (OP) you say we can acquire players we need to compete for a Cup through trades and developing our own lower picks.  Then on the other hand you say our team was led by the Twins, who we drafted at 2 and 3.  Where do we get two ELITE scoring forwards like the Twins, if not drafting top five?  

Rather than comparing our team to the 2011 team that did not win the Cup , we should compare to the team that did.

All of the Bruins impact players that drove the bus to the cup were all picked past the 1st round.  The only 1st rounders were Horton and Seguin. Horton had a decent playoff but we all know what happened there in the end, and Seguin played 13 games- 7 points so not a big impact.

That I feel is the team we are building. A team not necessarily including elite talent, but with depth throughout the line up built from the net out, and of course a lights out clutch goalie wouldn't hurt.:)

If you go through their 2011 lineup and match up our players potential in a couple years, this is who we could easily become.

Just now, nuck-lifer said:

Rather than comparing our team to the 2011 team that did not win the Cup , we should compare to the team that did.

All of the Bruins impact players that drove the bus to the cup were all picked past the 1st round.  The only 1st rounders were Horton and Seguin. Horton had a decent playoff but we all know what happened there in the end, and Seguin played 13 games- 7 points so not a big impact.

That I feel is the team we are building. A team not necessarily including elite talent, but with depth throughout the line up built from the net out, and of course a lights out clutch goalie wouldn't hurt.:)

If you go through their 2011 lineup and match up our players potential in a couple years, this is who we could easily become.

It's why JB got hired here.  He believes he can build a Cup winning team with lesser picks.  

Just now, Alflives said:

It's why JB got hired here.  He believes he can build a Cup winning team with lesser picks.  

For sure.

with tram, stech, guddy, Baer, juolevi and demko he has put his stamp on this team. with exception of maybe tram or Demko all of these guys will be good but not superstars. We don't sign them to elite contracts so we can afford to have the depth to take us the distance. 2 top 6 forwards through UFA or trade to replaced the Sedins and we're there sooner then many think.

1 hour ago, MattJVD said:

Losing the reigning scoring leader for the first 3 games of that series hurt a lot too. Damn it Keith

Mofo for sure.  LA is the luckiest cup winner ever IMO overrated and Doughty gets way more love then he deserves.  Karlsson became the third defenseman ever to be top ten in scoring and his team his way better with him on the ice.  Ottawa gets more points in the standings as a result of Karlsson then LA with Doughy... If he's so good why do they win a cup miss the playoffs and barely seem to ever get in with conviction.  Oh yeah I forgot their team is built for the playoffs and all that crap.  LA sucks the only time I liked them was when Gretzky Hrudey played with them...LA luciest team EVER.  Quick peaked the stars aligned they made sacrifices and sold their souls.  Doughy needs to comb his hair and brush his teeth was terrible in WC final passing the puck repeatedly to the other team and relying on teammates to get it back.  In 2014 Weber could have just as easily been the hero...His goals were fluky and then THN and CBC and SN guys couldnt get enough of him and blah blah blah.  He's Canadian otherwise I would really blast him.

3 minutes ago, nuck-lifer said:

For sure.

with tram, stech, guddy, Baer, juolevi and demko he has put his stamp on this team. with exception of maybe tram or Demko all of these guys will be good but not superstars. We don't sign them to elite contracts so we can afford to have the depth to take us the distance. 2 top 6 forwards through UFA or trade to replaced the Sedins and we're there sooner then many think.

And that's probably why JB said this morning that he would move a defenceman to help get that forward.  The question is which dman goes, and for what return?

30 minutes ago, Alflives said:

And that's probably why JB said this morning that he would move a defenceman to help get that forward.  The question is which dman goes, and for what return?

Tanev sounds like the obvious move, but moving Hutton may be in the cards once he's back? They have to get on this now IMO so we have a top 6 forward that can transitions easily when/if the Sedins retire next next year, you think?

1 minute ago, nuck-lifer said:

Tanev sounds like the obvious move, but moving Hutton may be in the cards once he's back? They have to get on this now IMO so we have a top 6 forward that can transitions easily when/if the Sedins retire next next year, you think?

Tanev for a young top six forward would be an ideal trade.  

13 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I just listened to that part of the interview (started around the 8:30 mark).

He had just said that last summer he wanted to have a more physical presence on the back end and he named Gudbranson, Tryamkin and Sbisa as those guys.  He also said he likes Stecher.  In previous interviews, he has said that he's not asking anybody to waive NTC's so that leaves Edler out.  

Who remains on the list?  Hutton and Tanev

He also said that Tryamkin's ceiling could be top pair.  That's not next year though

1 minute ago, Crabcakes said:

I just listened to that part of the interview (started around the 8:30 mark).

He had just said that last summer he wanted to have a more physical presence on the back end and he named Gudbranson, Tryamkin and Sbisa as those guys.  He also said he likes Stecher.  In previous interviews, he has said that he's not asking anybody to waive NTC's so that leaves Edler out.  

Who remains on the list?  Hutton and Tanev

He also said that Tryamkin's ceiling could be top pair.  That's not next year though

Nice post.  Well thought out.  Don't you think between Hutton and Tanev, only Tanev could get the return of a young top six forward?

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Nice post.  Well thought out.  Don't you think between Hutton and Tanev, only Tanev could get the return of a young top six forward?

Ya, Tanev gets a better return.  And as I said later, Hutton doesn't have to be protected, Tanev would have to be

Since Stecher appears to be able to partner with Edler and cope with top pair duties, it makes it easier to part with Tan-man

6 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

Ya, Tanev gets a better return.  And as I said later, Hutton doesn't have to be protected, Tanev would have to be

Since Stecher appears to be able to partner with Edler and cope with top pair duties, it makes it easier to part with Tan-man

Good job figuring this out CC.  Now figure out the player we get back.::D

8 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

Good job figuring this out CC.  Now figure out the player we get back.::D

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

That is going to be the most interesting development... really, it could be anybody, including Hutton, Guddy, Tanev...

How smokin would a top line of Landeskog, Horvat, and Boeser look next year?

Landeskog LW/shoots L , Horvat (center) , Boeser (RW/shoots R)

Damn!

8 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

It may be logical but what deals are possible?  Tanev may be a better deadline deal for somebody as well.  Do we want picks or assets?  Or what is geting offered

I like what @darkpoet suggested: Landeskog.  Who would the Avs want between Hutton and Tanev?

Archived