The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Discussion) Should we cut kesler some slack?

Mike Ross

I know half of you want to rip my head off after the title of this thread alone but the question still stands.

I was listening to tsn and the question for lebrun was if the Canucks were respected around the league. 

http://www.tsn.ca/radio/vancouver-1040-i-1410/lebrun-sedins-get-the-respect-from-other-nhl-players-1.654346

Apparently LeBron asked kesler about skilled players he faces and what he does to stop them. When asked about the sedins, he paused and said,"I love those guys"

(He said more which I really recommend you listen)

I know we have a negative feeling about him since he requested the trade but maybe we shouldn't. 

Hockey is a business and I believe kesler loved this city and it's team with his whole heart but his mindset was win now and when he saw Vancouver's window closing he thought it was his time to leave.

Before the trade kesler was one of the team favourites and was a beast. He played through injuries to get our team into the playoffs. And in the playoffs he sometimes single handedly won games for us.

Trust me, I never liked him after the trade but I got to admit this has really changed my perspective on him. 

Have I changed anyone's opinion on here? 

I still have my Ryan Kesler jersey

This guy played his heart out for Vancouver. He played with a pretty severe injury just to help us as much as he could. The team tried in 2012, but after it was clear Vancouver was on a downslope he wanted a trade to compete for the cup while he was still in his prime. He wants that cup and honestly I hope he gets it.

Kesler is cancer.  Remember the game where the Islanders scored 5 in the 3rd period?

Kesler, on TV, hysterically screeching "Why me, why me?" as he walked to the dressing room.

His actions speak much louder than my words ever could.

And lets not forget the trade list.  Of one team.  One.  What a freaking douche bag.

I will never forget.  And never forgive.

I guess some perspective is needed here. When you compare how Bieksa handled himself, saying he was ready to 'go down with the ship' people could really respect that and were happy to see him land somewhere else and get a fat contract. 

With Kes, he openly said he wanted to be on a contender, i.e. and that ain't us. It was a bit of a kick to the collective groin of the fan base, and he didn't have to do it that way. 

Is the booing over the top? Yah, it is. But thats what happens when you treat the organization that way. 

Kesler forced a trade at a time in his career (30) when he would still net a nice return for the Canucks.  His motives were totally selfish but I can't blame him for the trade.

Calling him a cancer is a bit strong.  There are plenty of rumours going around about his conduct with people around the team.  I couldn't say if they were true or not.  Over the top stories.   He does seem to have friends on the Canucks still.

As far as the hockey goes, he was completely honest and got what he wanted (except the silver ware).

48 minutes ago, Mike Ross said:

I know half of you want to rip my head off after the title of this thread alone but the question still stands.

I was listening to tsn and the question for lebrun was if the Canucks were respected around the league. 

http://www.tsn.ca/radio/vancouver-1040-i-1410/lebrun-sedins-get-the-respect-from-other-nhl-players-1.654346

Apparently LeBron asked kesler about skilled players he faces and what he does to stop them. When asked about the sedins, he paused and said,"I love those guys"

(He said more which I really recommend you listen)

I know we have a negative feeling about him since he requested the trade but maybe we shouldn't. 

Hockey is a business and I believe kesler loved this city and it's team with his whole heart but his mindset was win now and when he saw Vancouver's window closing he thought it was his time to leave.

Before the trade kesler was one of the team favourites and was a beast. He played through injuries to get our team into the playoffs. And in the playoffs he sometimes single handedly won games for us.

Trust me, I never liked him after the trade but I got to admit this has really changed my perspective on him. 

Have I changed anyone's opinion on here? 

this is what is being a fan is all about! If a fan wants to boo him for leaving then he should, if a fan boos a player on Vancouver that is playing crappy, then he should

The only bitterness I have towards Kesler is how he handcuffed management into sending him to the Ducks.  The fact we got any return at all is astonishing.

I get that he wanted to move on.  It sucked and was selfish in itself, but he wanted a chance to win the cup and I cant blame him for that.  But to want it so much as to screw over your former team.... I just find that unacceptable.  And for that and that alone, I am happy to hear him get booed on our ice.

Kesler?  Never heard of her.

Cut him some slack?  No.  He's an Anaheim Duck.

Respect what he did while here?  Of course, he's a legend.

Respect him for how he left?  Never.  Handcuff the team and dictate when and where he gets traded.  Only choosing a team IN our division ensuring minimal return.

No mas.  He deserves no slack from the moment he rectally forced this team over a barrel to give him what he wanted.

At least Luongo can say he was all but run out.  Kesler was a dick about it.

3 minutes ago, canucklehead80 said:

One of those who you love them when they're on your team and hate them when they're not. Kind of in the same mold as a Claude Lemiux or Esa Tikkanen. 

He was a jerk while here and a true a..... when he decided to waive his no trade to only two teams- of which only one had any interest/ability to trade for him. I would have either made him completely open the no trade clause to include every team or paid him to sit at home, and by sit at home I mean exactly that. No paid vacations, come into practice after the team has left, and let him know he better be ready in case I decide to let him play. No free rides.

Archived