The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Discussion) Should we cut kesler some slack?

Mike Ross

No problem with Kesler at all. He did what any competitive athlete should do in my opinion. He tried his best to win a championship with us and when it was clear that wasn't going to happen then he moved on to where he thought he could.

If he was openly willing to "go down with the ship" like certain other players I'd have questioned his value to the Canucks had he stayed.

5 minutes ago, Riviera82 said:

No problem with Kesler at all. He did what any competitive athlete should do in my opinion. He tried his best to win a championship with us and when it was clear that wasn't going to happen then he moved on to where he thought he could.

If he was openly willing to "go down with the ship" like certain other players I'd have questioned his value to the Canucks had he stayed.

This, it's a tale of two attitudes, I know players have families, and that sometimes winning isn't all that important to them, but as a fan, you want the 

players who will give anything to win the cup, and that is Kesler to a tee.

2 hours ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Rats always desert a sinking ship.

**** Kesler.

Maybe I'd feel different if he didn't tie Benning's hands when he himself asked to be dealt.

This sums it up for me right here.... I never had a problem with him until this. 

He was my favourite Canuck for years, and while the way he left was kind of ugly I still root for him. Not against us, but against everyone else. He gave us his best years, he busted his ass out there. He could be a douche but he was our douche. Players move on sometimes, it's just how it goes.

Yeah, he could have handled the trade bit better and perhaps he should have but he didn't. Being bitter over it forever ain't gonna do me or the team any good though.

Professional sports teams are businesses, they're trying to be successful and win stuff in order to put bums in seats and make lots of lovely money. They think nothing of trading their assets around the league like cattle in order to accomplish this. So if some of those assets decide to play the same game, so what? With a few exceptions, the bulk of the athletes don't really care about which team they represent, so long as the money rolls in and they can establish a good life for themselves and their family and perhaps get their name on a piece of history. Who can blame them for that? C'est la vie!

1 hour ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Getting Jovocop in the Bure trade helped lessen some of the hurt.  Plus didn't Bure have some legitimate beef with management (re: the way his contracts were often handled)?  Kesler was always well paid by the organization.

Actually I thought we got robbed in that trade at the time and it was way more upsetting than Kesler wanting out of the Gillis scuttling shipwreck.  Bure was still in his prime and like a lot of fans we wanted him forever..And to actually have Mogilny and Bure together healthy for at least a couple seasons.   Eventually Jovo grew on me and whats not to like really...But those years Bure was ripping it up in Florida were hard to take. 

Archived