westvandude

Any Good Hockey Management Games?

Rate this topic

Recommended Posts

I know of the popular ones, but just want to know what other ones are out there.

 

Please mention what type of management game it is:

  • Online (multiplayer) vs Offline (singleplayer)
  • Detailed Simulation vs Simpler/Quicker Gameplay
  • Real Players vs Fake (and if able to mod to recreate real players)

 

For example, the one I tried:

East Side Hockey Manager 

  • Main game is single player
  • Very detailed simulation... too much detail for my taste and time, I prefer a much simpler version with focus on quick seasons so I can get thru a full rebuild without having to spend 100 hours
  • Fake players and teams, but easy to get real names from community
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I tried Franchise Hockey Manager 2016.  It seems like it is a  slightly lesser version of EHM(I haven't played EHM).  It's single player, it had real rosters from 1950-2015.  It froze on me multiple times but all in all it was worth the $40 I paid for it.  I like the expansion draft and being able to tweak all the rules and settings.  Last time I played it though I seem to recall not being able to find players I created so hopefully they added a player search function.  Teams range from NHL/Europe(no KHL) all the way to 14yo bantam leagues in North America.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For all the legit gripes people have about NHL 17, franchise mode is very in depth and I have a lot of fun with it.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Try Franchise Hockey Manager 3. The latest version is vastly improved compared to the 2016 edition, for the first time it has the official NHL licence and unlike EHM, which I love, but which is basically just a minor update of an 10 year old game, FHM is new, has a full team behind, is regularly updated and keeps making significant steps. I'd say it is the best hockey management sim out there.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Web Sim Hockey is the best sim game i've ever played. I've been on it for 3 years now. You can join existing leagues or newly created leagues with real player drafts etc.

 

It's awsome... check it out. It's online multi player, play agains other hockey buffs.

 

http://websimhockey.com

Edited by Rocksterh8
add
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/26/2017 at 1:47 AM, MikeyBoy44 said:

If you like online multiplayer, I've heard RGMG is one of the best and simplest sims out there.

 

 

 

 

 

 

@Patrick Kane

I googled it and surprisingly little info on this. It sounds like just a detailed fantasy league, not an actual hockey simulator game. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/25/2017 at 3:50 PM, Rocksterh8 said:

Web Sim Hockey is the best sim game i've ever played. I've been on it for 3 years now. You can join existing leagues or newly created leagues with real player drafts etc.

 

It's awsome... check it out. It's online multi player, play agains other hockey buffs.

 

http://websimhockey.com

Thanks I've seen this one before. My issue with this is too much detail... managing tickets and club finances and cities and... I prefer a simpler, just focused on the hockey operations game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/25/2017 at 3:26 PM, HerrDrFunk said:

For all the legit gripes people have about NHL 17, franchise mode is very in depth and I have a lot of fun with it.

I've looked at some videos and this seemed to have the level detail I'm looking for. Not a lot and people can get into it without having to invest a ton of time learning all the details and micromanaging every little detail of the game. The only problem is, it's only consol and I only have PC :(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/25/2017 at 3:39 PM, joe-max said:

Try Franchise Hockey Manager 3. The latest version is vastly improved compared to the 2016 edition, for the first time it has the official NHL licence and unlike EHM, which I love, but which is basically just a minor update of an 10 year old game, FHM is new, has a full team behind, is regularly updated and keeps making significant steps. I'd say it is the best hockey management sim out there.

 

I've been following this game, but again the amount of details to manage and understand is very daunting to me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, westvandude said:

Thanks I've seen this one before. My issue with this is too much detail... managing tickets and club finances and cities and... I prefer a simpler, just focused on the hockey operations game.

They have actually made that end of it a lot easier now in the new version. Most of that is just leave as default now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Rocksterh8 said:

They have actually made that end of it a lot easier now in the new version. Most of that is just leave as default now.

Then it's definitely worth checking out... I'll report back my findings when I get a chance to check it out. Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice thanks. I have gone through that list, but nothing seems to fit what I'm looking for... I actually went through this process about a year ago when I got very interested in the tanking/drafting/rebuilding process of an NHL team, but I don't have the patience of multiple real life years to wait and see results. I've actually developed in detail the idea of a quick and simple simulation (almost board game like) game, which I'm sending around to some game programmers and developers I know to see how much it's gonna cost me to develop. 

 

If it ever gets to a working and fun version, I'll share it with you guys to see what you think.

 

Until then, if you guys come across anything else, please post here. Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, westvandude said:

Nice thanks. I have gone through that list, but nothing seems to fit what I'm looking for... I actually went through this process about a year ago when I got very interested in the tanking/drafting/rebuilding process of an NHL team, but I don't have the patience of multiple real life years to wait and see results. I've actually developed in detail the idea of a quick and simple simulation (almost board game like) game, which I'm sending around to some game programmers and developers I know to see how much it's gonna cost me to develop. 

 

If it ever gets to a working and fun version, I'll share it with you guys to see what you think.

 

Until then, if you guys come across anything else, please post here. Thanks!

It sounds very much like you should try EHM or Franchise Hockey Manager. Both games are very realistic and complex and you can just focus on work as GM and leave everything else to your coaches. That way you can simulate through seasons comparably quickly and there is certainly more depth and realism in it than any simple simulation could ever emulate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not quite management but you do manage your own player on a forum that runs in a sim league. It's been going on for 10 years now (54 seasons) and it's actually very fun to kill time, talk hockey and just be friendly with other hockey fans.

 

www.vhlforum.com

Edited by TommiSantala25

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, TommiSantala25 said:

Not quite management but you do manage your own player on a forum that runs in a sim league. It's been going on for 10 years now (54 seasons) and it's actually very fun to kill time, talk hockey and just be friendly with other hockey fans.

 

www.vhlforum.com

I approve this message. I've been there for awhile now too.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Metroho is a simple text based Hockey Management ill just copy and paste what the website says.

If your interested in joining ive been playing for a little over a year use my referral link! www.metroho.com?reference=9474
(I want a player rating boost!)

*theres also drafting,scouting and running your own arena(my favorite part)

METROHO... What is it?

METROHO is a browser-based multiplayer hockey game that combines an interactive hockey simulator with an engaging web community. In METROHO, you own, manage, and coach your own team. The advantage METROHO offers is enough statistics and features to make the game all that it should be, without any overwhelming complications.[Screenshots] 

Key Features Include: 
  • Ability to play games manually. 
  • Tournaments. 
  • Action-packed seasons. 
  • Playoffs. 
  • Arenas/Awards/Endorsements. 

    You start off by creating your own team which will consist of 15 forwards, 8 defensemen, and 3 goalies, each with their own age and skill level. Next, you sign these players and other free agents to your team while staying under the $65 Million salary cap. Once you're ready, join a league. 

    Public Leagues consist of 10 teams in a season that lasts 20 days. Your team will play each of the league's other teams 8 times for a season total of 72 games. Half the games will be played at home, while the rest will be played on the road. The advantage of home games is that you can manually start the game any time during its scheduled day. This is akey feature of METROHO, as during a home game simulation, you can select the lines you want for each round. 

    If you can't find a league you like, you can create your own league of 10 or 15 teams. Leagues can even be made private so that only your friends can join! 

    The top 8 teams in a league's standings, after the season is over, advance to the playoffs, following a one day hiatus. Playoffs involve three series with each series being a best of 3, 5, or 7 (depending on your league's settings) to determine the league's champion. Playoffs last nine days. This means that once your team joins a league, the league's season and playoffs will last a grand total of 30 days. 

    Competition is fierce as there are both team and player awards to be won, not to mention the bragging rights that go with a large fan base. All teams start off in Level One and strive for promotion into higher level leagues which feature progressively bigger trophies. 

     
Edited by KassianArtRoss

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've tried many games in the past few years like Metroho, Hockey Arena,Powerplay Manager, etc. They're pretty good but they each have their own issues. Metroho wasn't detailed enough, Hockey Arena's economy was too imbalanced between leagues, etc. Other games lacked a forum to chat. So I decided to make my own game called http://hockeymanagerleague.com.

 

I tried to take all the good aspects from those games and put it into Hockey Manager League. Its simple to pick up, but not so simple that you get bored of it after a few days. Teams get promoted to higher leagues if they are good, otherwise you get demoted. There is a salary cap and simple finance part to the game to add a bit of a challenge. There is also a built-in forum for users to chat and help each other out.

 

I just launched the game this week and will be adding more features to it. Check it out and throw in some suggestions or features that you'd like to see in the game's forum.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, grindgears said:

I've tried many games in the past few years like Metroho, Hockey Arena,Powerplay Manager, etc. They're pretty good but they each have their own issues. Metroho wasn't detailed enough, Hockey Arena's economy was too imbalanced between leagues, etc. Other games lacked a forum to chat. So I decided to make my own game called http://hockeymanagerleague.com.

 

I tried to take all the good aspects from those games and put it into Hockey Manager League. Its simple to pick up, but not so simple that you get bored of it after a few days. Teams get promoted to higher leagues if they are good, otherwise you get demoted. There is a salary cap and simple finance part to the game to add a bit of a challenge. There is also a built-in forum for users to chat and help each other out.

 

I just launched the game this week and will be adding more features to it. Check it out and throw in some suggestions or features that you'd like to see in the game's forum.

Looks like a great website! You should check out the Victory Hockey League that's the one I play now. I'll definatly be signing up on your site hopefully VHL and your site can have a partnership to help both sites out!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.