The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What is your most painful memory/moment as a Canuck fan (slightly depressing Discussion)

ReggieBush

As Canuck fans, we know all too well of these painful memories. Whether it be a tough playoff loss, a horrible season, the death of a former player, etc.

I'd be interested to hear what your most painful memory as Canuck fan is.

I am kind of going to cheat and name 2 painful memories I have had. 

1. Losing in game 7 (2011). I was not around for 82 or 94, so this was the first time I had felt such heartbreak and pain of getting so far and losing. I try to forget about that day, but I remember it so vividly. I remember waking up thinking that this was going to be one of the greatest days of my life. Instead, it was one of the worst.

2. The death of Rick Rypien. My grandmother grew up in the Crowsnest Past, knew the family, and actually babysat Rypien's mother when she was young. So when he became a Canuck, I had the chance to meet him a few times. He was very down to earth and if you didn't know him you wouldn't think he was a pro athlete. I was with my grandmother the day he passed and when she heard the headline, she dropped her book in shock and started to cry. I was upset, but not to the extent that she was. I think that was the toughest part. To know the family and then for it to be all over the news in the days following. It was crazy. I know he wasn't a Canuck when he passed, but once a Canuck (except for Messier, **** that guy) always a Canuck right? 

I know it is kind of a depressing point of discussion but hey, it could be worse, we could be Leaf fans.:bigblush:

2011 was a rough year for sure- Losing the cup finals to Boston of all teams, the riots afterwards, the pure hatred for our team by the media, then Rypien's suicide. I'm only 21 so those are definitely my worse memories of this team. Would also add in 2012 winning the president's trophy but losing to the 8th seeded kings in 5 games. I guess they did end up winning the cup so it's not so bad but still it stung. 

2011, I sat there crying as the time went down.

Nowadays when I think about when I met Rypien at a meet and greet. It was a couple years before he passed but he was a very nice guy. I got my jersey autographed by him but it sucks to think about it. RIP.

3 minutes ago, Stamkos said:

2011, I sat there crying as the time went down.

Nowadays when I think about when I met Rypien at a meet and greet. It was a couple years before he passed but he was a very nice guy. I got my jersey autographed by him but it sucks to think about it. RIP.

I cried. My mom cried. Both my grandma's, my aunt's. We all cried except for my grandpa and my dad.

Game 7 2011. I actually had to work to keep myself mentally stable during that series. Admittedly, I was fatalistic after game 6, but the whole thing was still rough. 

Although it was a short moment, Toews' shorthanded goal in Game 7 of 2011 first round was a dagger. I thought we had it won since the rest of the game was a powerplay. Turns out we won anyway, but still.

Same as you, I would have been four years old in 94 so it didn't impact me at all. 2011 was heartbreaking, I wasn't able to do any more than listen to it on the radio and I still haven't seen footage of game seven.

Ripper would be number two followed by Luc at number three. Even Demitra though his time here was short.

From a losing standpoint: Watching Stan Smyl not being able to score on Mike Vernon in overtime in Game 7 in the first round in Calgary in '89. Then, in the last minute, the Flames' Joel Otto kicks the puck in and there's no replay. The Flames win the series and go on to win their first Stanley Cup. My heart cried a lot more for Steamer than for the Canucks, whom I also had cried for. 

From a personal standpoint: Finding out that young Luc Bourdon lost his life in a motorcycle accident while I was overseas in Germany. He had a couple of setbacks due to injury but was already getting back on track until his tragic end. And we will never know how good Luc could have been.

I've got a short memory ... the last game, when the Canucks didn't register a shot till halfway through the game.  I've been a fan from day one ... through the dog days of the 80's, but I don't remember ever seeing such a pathetic effort like the one against Arizona.  That was truly painful and depressing, especially when we missed the chance to jump up to 6th place.

58 minutes ago, ajhockey said:

Game 7 2011. I actually had to work to keep myself mentally stable during that series. Admittedly, I was fatalistic after game 6, but the whole thing was still rough. 

Although it was a short moment, Toews' shorthanded goal in Game 7 of 2011 first round was a dagger. I thought we had it won since the rest of the game was a powerplay. Turns out we won anyway, but still.

Oh man when Toews scored the goal I could feel so much pressure on my chest and a ball in my throat. It got even worse when Burrows took that penalty in overtime and when Toews was behind the net I could see Sharp was getting open I thought the game was over. Oh man but when Burrows scored....what a moment what a moment.

17 minutes ago, Tony Romo said:

Oh man when Toews scored the goal I could feel so much pressure on my chest and a ball in my throat. It got even worse when Burrows took that penalty in overtime and when Toews was behind the net I could see Sharp was getting open I thought the game was over. Oh man but when Burrows scored....what a moment what a moment.

I was about 5 seconds away from throwing up when Toews scored. I was actually so nervous, the most nervous I've ever been, I couldn't watch overtime or even follow it. Didn't know what was happening until my dad yelled "SCORES!!!!"

Archived