The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What is your most painful memory/moment as a Canuck fan (slightly depressing Discussion)

ReggieBush

1) Cup loss in 2011. Although I had a bad feeling after Game 6.

2) Collapsing to the Wild in 2003 was rough. Anaheim was a team of destiny that year but the "what if" is big. We could have beat them and New Jersey.

3) Naslund losing the Art Ross and the Rocket Richard by a few points/goals. Art Ross and the Division were lost on the last day of the season. 2003 as well.

I was around for both '94 and '11.  But 2011 game seven was the worst. The fact that we won the first 2 games that ramped up the hope. The fact that the refs put their whistles away in regards to any roughing penalties by Boston, and conversely handed out the longest penalty in finals history for a split second late legal hit and took out yet another veteran D on our already depleted D line.

The fact that after watching in anticipation of the Canucks winning it all in game 6, only to watch Lu let slide in four, countem four, first period goals in quick succession, we had to then watch in the seventh game Lu let in 4 straight goals again and the Canucks not being able to even muster one goal back....on home ice.

For me, the riot was not nearly as bad as all that. It was dumb, but that loss was tragic.

Luc Bourdon's sudden passing really stands out for me I remember I was working as a detailer for a Toyota dealership and I was driving a Toyota Matrix to the gas station to fill up when I heard the announcement. 

Was such an amazing player already and can only speculate how good he was going to be. 

2011 Stanley Cup Final, Game 7.

That year was a team of destiny. The Canucks dominated pretty much every statistical category.  Henrik was named the new captain. There were numerous historical trends in our favour. The feeling behind the team was incredible. After destroying the regular season, it felt like the Canucks couldn't be stopped. Then the playoffs hit, and things were rocky, but the Canucks pushed through. They finally slayed the dragon that was the Blackhawks. They pushed through the Predators and put down the uppity Sharks. Onto the Bruins and things were really looking good. Up 2-0 in the series it felt like the Canucks were finally on the cusp of their first ever Stanley Cup. The Bruins pushed back and pushed back hard. By game 6 things had really hit the wall, yet all Vancouver had to do was hold on for one more game, and FINALLY the cup was ours after nearly a century of waiting.  They couldn't do it though. It was the most deflating feeling in the world. 

No disrespect to the '94 team, but that was a group of scrappy underdogs punching above their weight class. 2010-11 felt like a bad plot twist where the main character almost succeeds but then gets brutally killed at the finale.

Firing Harry Neale

Trading Harold Snepsts for Al Macadam

Trading Harold away again

Sedin getting punched by Marchant

The PR campaign of showing off players whacky nick names on the buses like "Trev,"Ber" and "Nazzy"

Glen Cochrane not getting to Semenko 

The non stop rotation of vocal stylists trying to put their own stamp on the anthems

Gino Odjick switching from 66 to 29

Ronnie Stern getting traded

Kevin McCarthy getting injured in 1982

Over exuberant play by play announcer

Under use of the organ

Praising mediocrity

Never getting back at Messier for Game 6, 1994

Lars Lindgren scoring into his own net to tie the game at 3-3 in Edmonton...

Where to start? There are so many heart breaking moments as a Canuck fan. But at the top of my list 1) the passing of Bourdon. I had followed him for a year before we even drafted him and was devistated by the loss of what should have been our best (drafted) defenseman. 2) the death of Ryp. As someone who has lost several family members to depression it hit home hard! 3) seeing Mason Raymond in a back brace at the start of game 7. I had major back surgery when I was 22 and my life nearly fell apart after. I couldn't do any of the things I loved anymore including playing hockey! I broke down and didn't even watch the game.

6 minutes ago, cabinessence said:

Firing Harry Neale

Trading Harold Snepsts for Al Macadam

Trading Harold away again

Sedin getting punched by Marchant

The PR ca,pain of showing off players whacky nick names on the busses like "Trev,"Ber" and "Nazzy"

Glen Cochrane not getting to Semenko 

The non stop rotation of vocal stylists trying to put their own stamp on the anthems

Gino Odjick switching from 66 to 29

Ronnie Stern getting traded

Kevin MCcarthy getting injured in 1982

Over exuberant play by play announcer

Underuse of the organ

Praising mediocrity

Never getting back at Messier for Game 6, 1994

Lars Lindgren scoring into his own net to tie teh game at 3-3 in Edmonton...

Glen Cochrane not getting to Semenko               I remember that game, Smyl got there first and got served by Semenko. I think the Cochrane Semenko tilt would have been legendary. 

As everyone has mentioned Game 7 2011.... man the devastation :(

Nothing will come close to that but here's some other events I shed tears after

1. The end of the Luongo saga... the day we traded the best goalie in the hystory of sports. Cried on my way home in the car... as an adult, that's pretty bad

2. Losing to the wild in 2003... now in 6th grade but still couldn't handle my team losing 

3. Losing to the wings in 2002... I was in 5th grade

4. Didn't cry over this but the trade of Todd Bertuzzi. A true man that stood up for his brother. A little ironic that I cried when the player he was traded for got traded (Luongo) 

19 minutes ago, apollo said:

1. The end of the Luongo saga... the day we traded the best goalie in the hystory of sports. Cried on my way home in the car... as an adult, that's pretty bad

2. Losing to the wild in 2003... now in 6th grade but still couldn't handle my team losing 

4. Didn't cry over this but the trade of Todd Bertuzzi. A true man that stood up for his brother. A little ironic that I cried when the player he was traded for got traded (Luongo) 

Man... Losing to the Wild was one of the worst ones of my memory too. That one doesn't get as much attention but we had a solid team that year!

Watched both game 7 losses, 94 and '11.  Those were the lowest of lows while watching games.

The fiasco with Keenan and Messier is also a dark period as well....I will never be able to forget the soul of our franchise being torn out by our worst enemies.  To put it into perspective for a few younger fans.  Imagine if after 2011, the  Canucks went and hired Julien and he gave the boot to our leadership core and copy and pasted someone like Marchand or Recchi in there on massive contracts and they half-assed their way through the whole thing.

Yeah, it was bad.

35 minutes ago, apollo said:

I know where you stand on point 4 and we disagree in that I think Bert went too far.

We agree to disagree but a big point I think gets missed about the 2004 season is we were Northwest Division Champs and 3rd in the west. The WCE lead us to a 43-24-10-5 record. We lost to Calgary in 7 in the 1st round. Calgary went on to lose to Tampa in the final. In my gut I felt like we would have had at least a 50% chance vs TB.

There are probably a few but this one comes to mind as I am a huge fan of Pat Quinn.

The media witch hunt fronted by the Province's Tony Gallagher taking pleasure in Pat Quinn's firing, I believe they were on the road in Washington when it happened. I'll never forget how the press here were smug in their low level acvhievement.

Mr.Quinn was amongst the very best in the history of the game, most would agree.

On 1/28/2017 at 11:38 PM, Tiger-Hearted said:

From a losing standpoint: Watching Stan Smyl not being able to score on Mike Vernon in overtime in Game 7 in the first round in Calgary in '89. Then, in the last minute, the Flames' Joel Otto kicks the puck in and there's no replay. The Flames win the series and go on to win their first Stanley Cup. My heart cried a lot more for Steamer than for the Canucks, whom I also had cried for. 

From a personal standpoint: Finding out that young Luc Bourdon lost his life in a motorcycle accident while I was overseas in Germany. He had a couple of setbacks due to injury but was already getting back on track until his tragic end. And we will never know how good Luc could have been.

That drove me nuts with the Flames series.  There were no goal reviews then.  If there were, with the crease and skate rules at the time, it would have been overturned.  If only the ref was paying attention, but it's hard to fault him, and there was only one ref back then.  It all sucks even worse since it was part of the path for the Flames getting to the Cup. :sick:

Archived