The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What is your most painful memory/moment as a Canuck fan (slightly depressing Discussion)

ReggieBush

Interesting thread. Haven't read them all but the thing that pained me the most was Bure's season ending injury (aside from the deaths, which as someone said, are more human tragedy than Canucks tragedy). I still remember being absolutely devastated that my favourite player and best Canuck was done for the season.  I was younger and couldn't comprehend it. The game sevens hurt but you knew there was a chance they may not win them. 

I have 5

1. Losing to the Flames in 2004

2. Losing to Detroit in 2002

3. Losing to the Wild in 2003

4. Naslund getting injured in 2001

5. Bure getting traded to Florida. I knew that was coming but at the time he was my fav player and I was sad to see him go

I don't have Boston in 2011 on that list because after Game 3, I didn't think the Canucks would win the series....so I expected it

1 hour ago, SunnyHours said:

Interesting thread. Haven't read them all but the thing that pained me the most was Bure's season ending injury

My memory isn't the best....during the years we had BOTH Mogilny (when he was still elite) & Bure - didn't we have the typical Canuck luck where usually one of them was injured for a prolonged period of time?  One can only imagine have both those lethal snipers for the whole season at the same time.

To me, it has never been just one time or another. It's every single time I have seen one incarnation of this team or another unravel before our very eyes and just lose it. Just that uncanny ability to lose like that. It's different when one team just flat out out-plays yours, but when our team should be better, and has been and then there's something which causes a momentum shift and they just can't get it back no matter how hard they try. 

Kind of makes me feel cheated as a fan, TBH.

15 hours ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

My memory isn't the best....during the years we had BOTH Mogilny (when he was still elite) & Bure - didn't we have the typical Canuck luck where usually one of them was injured for a prolonged period of time?  One can only imagine have both those lethal snipers for the whole season at the same time.

My memory is a bit foggy of that time as well but I believe you're correct. I remember the shoppers drug mart calendar, or was it pharmasave, that had the two of them standing together and the caption read something like "how many goals will this duo account for" ... Not a lot was the ultimate answer as  I don't think they played a ton of time together due to injury and then Bure was traded :(. You're right... Canuck luck. 

Going with my Auntie to every home game for the last run to the Stanley Cup Finals and seeing the Bruins lift the Cup while our players were heartbroken down on the ice..... that still hurts just thinking about it, everywhere I looked the fans were just speechless.  Then upon exiting the building, we looked back and saw black smoke coming from the Georgia viaduct area and we just went home, only to find there was a riot going on when we saw it on the news.

The 1994 loss to the Rangers was a tough one, but there was always an optimistic tone to that whole run being underdogs and the excitement that Bure brought to the ice. 

Bringing Mark Messier and his crony Mike Keenan in a few years later was more painful, which led me to boycott the team until they were gone. The 2011 equivalent would be if we brought in Brad Marchand and Claude Julien, then handed the 'C' to Marchand over Henrik, and then traded the Sedins. The 2011 Cup Final series against Boston was painful to watch, especially with the media jumping all over the Canucks, but at least we didn't do something like this afterwards. 

Watching the league corruptly stick it to the Nucks. San Jose series, Chicago series, Boston Series, etc. etc. People hate the Roger Neilson statue because it symbolizes a whiner attitude. There is a reason he and others have called-out league corruption. I like the statue because it symbolizes courage to take a stand on corruption, rather than complicity falling in line. You pay for it with retribution but at least you keep your honour. The league is messing with its legitimacy and the legitimacy of the Stanely Cup. Time for independent officiating.

This is easy for me.

The loss to the New York Rangers. And the loss to Boston.

1. The loss to New York was painful because the team was the very definition of heart, dedication to the team and the game.

2. The loss to Boston because this was THE team in Vancouver, this was our team the team that excelled, ruled the ice on the scoreboard, they showed class they were champions. Only to have all that besmirched by spoiled brats during the riots. Those riots made me feel shame as a Canuck fan. For the first time as a hockey fan I felt shame. I could not say a thing to defend my Province, my fellow Canuck fans. Even to this day I still hear barbs and jokes at the Canuck faithful over those riots.

19 hours ago, HomeBrew said:

The 1994 loss to the Rangers was a tough one, but there was always an optimistic tone to that whole run being underdogs and the excitement that Bure brought to the ice. 

Bringing Mark Messier and his crony Mike Keenan in a few years later was more painful, which led me to boycott the team until they were gone. The 2011 equivalent would be if we brought in Brad Marchand and Claude Julien, then handed the 'C' to Marchand over Henrik, and then traded the Sedins. The 2011 Cup Final series against Boston was painful to watch, especially with the media jumping all over the Canucks, but at least we didn't do something like this afterwards. 

That would have suited me just fine!

Different strokes... :P

25 minutes ago, NHTyrany said:

Watching the league corruptly stick it to the Nucks. San Jose series, Chicago series, Boston Series, etc. etc. People hate the Roger Neilson statue because it symbolizes a whiner attitude. There is a reason he and others have called-out league corruption. I like the statue because it symbolizes courage to take a stand on corruption, rather than complicity falling in line. You pay for it with retribution but at least you keep your honour. The league is messing with its legitimacy and the legitimacy of the Stanely Cup. Time for independent officiating.

The fans can whine, but the players volunteer to play, and make a fine living, in a sports entertainment league/business. It's just business, unless you're an invested fan. 

Game 7 in 2011. 

I literally had to leave my house with 5 minutes left.  I went and sat alone at the lake for 20 minutes trying to come to grips with the rush of emotions that I had. My wife was pissed and had no idea where I went since I left so abruptly haha.

I didn't go on to Facebook or cdc for a couple of weeks after that.

Archived