The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What is your most painful memory/moment as a Canuck fan (slightly depressing Discussion)

ReggieBush

Daniel Sedin being used as Marchand's personal punching bag. Game was already out of hand. Still didn't retaliate. I knew deep down Boston was winning after that.

Getting beat 4-0 in a cup clinching game 7....at home. Just an embarrassing performance. 

Won't divulge too much into the riots.

Being in attendance for Game 7 vs. Minnesota (2003), Calgary (2004) and Bruins (2011).  Sorry maybe I was the problem.  But I was at Game 7 for St. Louis (2003), Game 5 for Bruins (2011) and games vs. the Leafs, Canucks have won all those games.

On 1/28/2017 at 10:29 PM, ReggieBush said:

As Canuck fans, we know all too well of these painful memories. Whether it be a tough playoff loss, a horrible season, the death of a former player, etc.

I'd be interested to hear what your most painful memory as Canuck fan is.

I am kind of going to cheat and name 2 painful memories I have had. 

1. Losing in game 7 (2011). I was not around for 82 or 94, so this was the first time I had felt such heartbreak and pain of getting so far and losing. I try to forget about that day, but I remember it so vividly. I remember waking up thinking that this was going to be one of the greatest days of my life. Instead, it was one of the worst.

2. The death of Rick Rypien. My grandmother grew up in the Crowsnest Past, knew the family, and actually babysat Rypien's mother when she was young. So when he became a Canuck, I had the chance to meet him a few times. He was very down to earth and if you didn't know him you wouldn't think he was a pro athlete. I was with my grandmother the day he passed and when she heard the headline, she dropped her book in shock and started to cry. I was upset, but not to the extent that she was. I think that was the toughest part. To know the family and then for it to be all over the news in the days following. It was crazy. I know he wasn't a Canuck when he passed, but once a Canuck (except for Messier, **** that guy) always a Canuck right? 

I know it is kind of a depressing point of discussion but hey, it could be worse, we could be Leaf fans.:bigblush:

Easily your #1, losing game 7 in 2011. (I've followed the Canucks since their Western League days.) We were the Presidents Cup winners in '11 whereas in '94 we finished (I believe) 7th in the conference. And in '82, we beat lesser teams all the way to the Finals, in a bizarre match-up quirk. And of course, in '11 the Cupless streak had lengthened, and who knows when we'll even be in that position again. 

I remember being in a bar when the place went nuts after Burrows goal which gave us the 2-0 series lead, and thinking "finally!". Alas ....

'94 was such a high that the resultant low was quite the polar opposite, but I'll never forget what I was doing when I learned of Bourdon's death.

I was out commercial prawn fishing, it was a beautiful sunny day, and we had been doing pretty darn good for the time of the season that it was. We passed through a wifi spot once a week or so and I always tried to load the Canucks home page for recent news and updates since, well, that was all I could get out in the middle of nowhere. The page loaded like an old 56k modem, and my face dropped more and more with every line that appeared. 

Rypien too. Mental health is something that concerns all people. Being able to recognize the warning signs in others and being there for them for whatever they need is important. Being able to recognize those same warning signs in yourself might save years of anguish, or worse... Source: been up and down over the years.

Heres my top 5.

1. 1994/2011 Playoffs. -so close and yet so far.

2. The Todd Bertuzzi/Steve Moore incident. -When Steve Moore hit Naslund he may as well as shot a bullet through all three

of the West Cost Express head. It essentially ended that line.

3. Rick Rypien death. -your watching his whole career and your thinking, never will I see someone like this again, never. You

knew with him it was something special. He was 1 in a million.

4. Willie Desjardins press conferences. -Honestly I believe in him, no way we should fire him, but good God if I have to watch this

poor man get battered with questions one more time, lol its like watching a mule get whipped down the streets of Kings Landing

and people think hes Joffery ;p lol.

5. The whole "the fans aren't cheering loud enough" or "the fans at arena X are sooo much better than the fans at arena Y because of

A B or C." -when we go to arena we agree to an exchange, we the lowly customer agree to pay money to go and hopefully watch a good

hockey game, and then to watch the team win. If fans aren't cheering it is almost always a reflection of what they see on the ice. Suggesting

otherwise is crazy. Any man that runs a business and thinks that customers complaining and subsequently leaving, have nothing to do with

his product and is just a reflection of the customers poor attitude, will not be in business very long. 

5 hours ago, Barry_Wilkins said:

Easily your #1, losing game 7 in 2011. (I've followed the Canucks since their Western League days.) We were the Presidents Cup winners in '11 whereas in '94 we finished (I believe) 7th in the conference. And in '82, we beat lesser teams all the way to the Finals, in a bizarre match-up quirk. And of course, in '11 the Cupless streak had lengthened, and who knows when we'll even be in that position again. 

I remember being in a bar when the place went nuts after Burrows goal which gave us the 2-0 series lead, and thinking "finally!". Alas ....

It wasn't a matchup quirk at all. Other teams (Chicago and LA) upset the higher western seeds for us. We were 4th overall in the west wound up playing 5th Calgary, 8th LA (who upset 1st), and then 6th Chicago (who upset 2nd and 3rd). Really we had the path to the finals cleared for us.

On 2/21/2017 at 6:28 AM, Baggins said:

It wasn't a matchup quirk at all. Other teams (Chicago and LA) upset the higher western seeds for us. We were 4th overall in the west wound up playing 5th Calgary, 8th LA (who upset 1st), and then 6th Chicago (who upset 2nd and 3rd). Really we had the path to the finals cleared for us.

I know. That's what I meant.

The 89/90 season was the 10th time we did not qualify for the Playoffs. It was a lot harder to be a Canucks fan back then.

I learned long time ago to just enjoy the hockey. It's like people forget what the middle of summer is like. Lots of fun things to do, but still missing hockey. Like they said at the end of Hard Times "The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing." Winning the CUP will be an amazing bonus, but not winning won't depress me in the least. I know whats important to me.

One of the most painful moments has to be 2011. We were so close to lifting Lord's Stanley, yet so far. I still have bad memories about that. Watching cars being on fire, store windows smashed, riots everywhere downtown. Its incredible how we've experienced that kind of feeling twice. First '94, then 2011. 

Another painful moment or moments would have to be the deaths of Ryp, Demitra, and Bourdon. Add Quinn. They all represented the organization with their heart and soul and they played a big part with the team and were a reason to why we almost came within a game of winning a Cup even though they weren't there. They helped the team get to where they were that year the years they were here. One day we will see our team win it all. Its only a matter of when

Archived