The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Ryan Miller is "all in."

cuporbust

I want to start here by saying i think Ryan Miller is probably the most unappreciated Canuck on this team imo. I get why some may have been rubbed the wrong way , but i would hope that he has won over a majority by now. 

Herd his interview with 1040 tonight , and for me at least , it was a good example of why he has been a very good acquisition. Here are a few little things that stood out to me 

He was stuggling with a knee injury for a long time and knows that may have lowered his appeal to some fans. Also said " i dont always say the right things , i dont always do the right things (in the media) but i hope people know by now i am all in (as a canuck).  He mentioned "all in" a few times. This is not just a random stop for him in is career. He wants to be here. 

They asked him about standing up for stecher. He quickly points out that stecher stood up for him shortly after that "incident" by sweeping the puck off the goal line for him. Classy imo. 

Talkes about markstrom saying that they are good freinds on and off the ice. Feels the best way he can help him is to ve a good example and support him any way he can. They both root for each other each time they are in net. Points out how far he has come. 

This was his best interview as a canuck imo , and u can tell that he actually cares about this team and its fans. 

So cheers to you Miller. Some of us have noticed the effort you have put forth here. 

He has quietly been one of our most consistant competitors, and became one of my favorites when he saved young stecher from getting pounded into oblivion. A true pro and a true teammate in my eyes. 

UPDATE: MAY 15th

Just an update article on the Ryan Miller situation I'd like to share. One comment he made really stood out to me. I hope they bring him back personally. Another example of his character , and "all in" attitude here. 

"I’ve formed relationships over the last three years and a bond with the city,” said Miller. “And I feel I play better when I have the relationships and that would be a big reason to consider coming back. But I need to have a more in-depth conversation with Jim.”

http://theprovince.com/sports/hockey/nhl/vancouver-canucks/ben-kuzma-resolving-rebuild-will-define-ryan-millers-future-with-canucks

Screenshot_2017-05-15-21-01-58-1.png

Saying all the things he needs in order to get another premium contract with Canucks.

He is worth that money, but I'm not sure it's best for Markstrom. The more you pay Miller, the less Markstrom will play next season.

Would hate to see what's happening in St. Louis, to happen here next season, so I want him to re-sign.  

10 minutes ago, Art Vandelay said:

Saying all the things he needs in order to get another premium contract with Canucks.

He is worth that money, but I'm not sure it's best for Markstrom. The more you pay Miller, the less Markstrom will play next season.

Would hate to see what's happening in St. Louis, to happen here next season, so I want him to re-sign.  

I really dont agree , but whatev. To each there own 

Miller is anything but "all talk." Id say he pretty much the oposite of that

What interview was this? Is there a link by chance?

22 minutes ago, cuporbust said:

He was stuggling with a knee injury for a long time and knows that may have lowered his appeal to some fans. Also said " i dont always say the right things , i dont always do the right things (in the media) but i hope people know by now i am all in (as a canuck).  He mentioned "all in" a few times. This is not just a random stop for him in is career. He wants to be here.

Perhaps it's my inner homer and fangirl showing, but I have absolutely adored Miller and the ground he's walked on ever since he stepped into this place. Love him. His play speaks for itself, I can't see any argument that we haven't gotten the asset we paid for and needed in full. He's handled this gutless media like a champ, and honestly I love his sarcastic, blunt, and deadpan remarks- I always took it to be a reflection of his humor. Never once doubted his commitment to the team and Van. People want him run out of here I guess but I'm in the minority thinking Marky is still just shy of being ready to be number one. I'd be happy to see Millsy signed at a discount. Hope he's willing to take one.

15 minutes ago, Art Vandelay said:

If he is "worth that money" , why would he need to say all the right things? 

He doesnt need to pump anyones tires to stay here man. I think he said what he actually thinks. 

7 minutes ago, ThrustyPrusty89 said:

What interview was this? Is there a link by chance?

Perhaps it's my inner homer and fangirl showing, but I have absolutely adored Miller and the ground he's walked on ever since he stepped into this place. Love him. His play speaks for itself, I can't see any argument that we haven't gotten the asset we paid for and needed in full. He's handled this gutless media like a champ, and honestly I love his sarcastic, blunt, and deadpan remarks- I always took it to be a reflection of his humor. Never once doubted his commitment to the team and Van. People want him run out of here I guess but I'm in the minority thinking Marky is still just shy of being ready to be number one. I'd be happy to see Millsy signed at a discount. Hope he's willing to take one.

I couldnt agree more. He s not an attention ______ , he just quietly does his thing. Doesnt really worry about saying all the right things, he just goes out and does all the right things. Mad respect for him from ol cuporbust for sure. I think thats why i was so inpressed with his matt martin mawling. Lol. Hes not the type of guy that does it just because he likes trouble , or feels obligated. He actually gave a crap. Love it. 

I havnt looked for the link yet. I was on my way home and herd it on the radio. It was at the dice and ice event tonight 

Miller says he is a better goalie rested.  Willie needs to play more Marky because the playoffs is a physically demanding and grueling series' of games.  Need Miller not only rested but still keep the balance of having him sharp.  Will be interesting to see how the goaltenders are used down the stretch.

15 minutes ago, cuporbust said:

If he is "worth that money" , why would he need to say all the right things? 

He doesnt need to pump anyones tires to stay here man. I think he said what he actually thinks. 

He is being politcal because he will be a 37 year old goalie in a league getting much younger. His on ice performance is worth his contract, but the risk is much higher. I fully believe what he is saying, he believes. 

What he is saying is good to hear and gives reassurance that he still plans to be an elite goalie in Vancouver. I just hope Benning doesn't give a sweetheart deal

because of what Miller is saying. 

I didn't pay Miller much attention when he was in Buffalo but the Olympics set him up to be Roberto's antagonist, which kind of soured my feelings towards the signing at first. The reality though, was that I was pissed at how we went from a Jennings winning tandem of Roberto and Cory to signing what I thought was a washed up St Louis cast-off for 6 million per year (and still paying Roberto for not being here). Since then? I can't say enough at how impressed I've been with his performance and his demeanor. A .920 save % and less than 2.5 GAA playing in front of this years Canucks? I'm not going to get all superlative by calling it Vezina worthy, but that is stunning really. I'd sign him for 2 more years in a heartbeat.   

I was only slightly skeptical of Miller when JB signed him, but we needed a veteran starting goalie and he was the best available for nothing but cap space. It really didn't take long for me to appreciate that he still had some juice left, and he has proven to have been an excellent signing. I've got no problem with him playing here for another year or 2... at the right price. 

@Art Vandelay Your comments are a little silly. If Miller is worth the money then there is no problem. It's only cap, and it will only be for a couple years at the most.

2 minutes ago, Green Building said:

I was only slightly skeptical of Miller when JB signed him, but we needed a veteran starting goalie and he was the best available for nothing but cap space. It really didn't take long for me to appreciate that he still had some juice left, and he has proven to have been an excellent signing. I've got no problem with him playing here for another year or 2... at the right price. 

@Art Vandelay Your comments are a little silly. If Miller is worth the money then there is no problem. It's only cap, and it will only be for a couple years at the most.

I just want Luongo back. I'm not over the break up. 

1 minute ago, Art Vandelay said:

I just want Luongo back. I'm not over the break up. 

I feel ya. That was altogether a bum year, but it was for the best. Lu did his best while he was here and it still wasn't good enough for some so he began to feel like he was being run out of town and asked out. Not saying you were part of it, but many other certainly were. Let's all do our best not to do that with every goalie we have between the pipes.

Miller is the man until Markstrom is ready for either a greater split, or for full time tending. 

People griping over 2 years and 3 years but honestly I didn't care because I figured Lack + Markstrom needed that much time to develop. One thing you can do to ruin development of young players is to stick them in front of unstable goaltending.

I'd love to have Miller back and I've said, it's a win-win for both parties if he re-signs. Demko gets a full year as the starter in Utica and Miller's here to help ease Markstrom into the starting role. But first if he agrees to it, depending on where we are, we need to pull a Toronto with him by trading him for an asset(s), then bring him back in the summer. 

Archived