The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Mock Draft: Picks 1-31 Canucks listed as having pick #15

Seeker1

2017 NHL Draft

1/20/2017 |

*15. LW Kristian Vesalainen (Frolunda J20, Superelit): Tough power forward who is a dual shot/pass threat and uses his size and strength to overpower opponents. Vesalainen began the year in the SHL with Frolunda and was loaned to a Finnish junior team before returning last week to the J20 Superelit in Sweden. It’s never easy to bounce around while struggling to put up points, and a putrid WJC only exacerbated an already tough situation, and in a draft year no less. Still, you can’t write off a kid for a poor first half, and the fact that he’s a 1999 birth year means he can boost his stock at the U18’s in April.

Link

If we pick him which I'm sure wont happen I hope he's a whole lot better than that glowing review.  Can't put up points gets bounced around leagues and had a bad WJC.  I'm sure the he is a good player but by that review you would never know it.

22 minutes ago, thrago said:

If we pick him which I'm sure wont happen I hope he's a whole lot better than that glowing review.  Can't put up points gets bounced around leagues and had a bad WJC.  I'm sure the he is a good player but by that review you would never know it.

Wasn't that Tolvanen? I wouldn't mind Vesalainen but he wouldn't be my first choice in that part of the draft. 

13 minutes ago, S'all Good Man said:

I dunno... there are a couple of Cs just a few down the rankings that Benning could go for as well. All we know for sure is Benning won't be going D in round 1. 

Maybe trading Tavev or Hutton to move up in the draft, getting one of the top rated centers?

15 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Maybe trading Tavev or Hutton to move up in the draft, getting one of the top rated centers?

Maybe.... Colorado's prob the best bet for that sort of thing but if Tanev's going there then its probably Duchene back and we'd have to give up our 1st too. If we do make the playoffs this year it would be worth it imo since it wouldn't be a lotto pick we'd be drafting. 

1 hour ago, S'all Good Man said:

I dunno... there are a couple of Cs just a few down the rankings that Benning could go for as well. All we know for sure is Benning won't be going D in round 1. 

If Cal Foote is available at 10-15 there is almost no chance Benning passes on him.

31C Shane Bowers (Waterloo, USHL): Dynamic two-way player with a high IQ to compliment his many puck skills. Bowers can create or finish plays on the rush, and is very crafty and creative. He makes difficult plays look easy, especially in traffic while acting strong on the puck to handle harassment as he’s controlling in tight spaces. Committed to Boston University, Bowers looks to slip away into an open area with the hammer cocked, as he owns a lethal shot and can fire it with accuracy even if the puck is behind, in front of or in his skates. He’s deceptive on zone entries as he can use a speed burst for a cage rush, or slow it down and dump it off to a cutter or trailer.

2 hours ago, Bang Bang Boogie said:

I like Vesalainen.  He would be great pick.

And his name is a little like Virtanen.  I suppose if we pick him and they both work out and end up on the same line somehow that the nicknames would be fun to make.  " Flying Vs " or the "Virtsalayings" 

1 hour ago, Warhippy said:

Trade Tanev the Columbus 2nd and our pick for Vegas' 1st round pick

That would put us third again..Maybe this year two teams don't bump us and we bump our way up into Nolan Patrick.  Odds are that won't happen.  Odds are the first pick won't get Patrick either.  

I hope Benning is very careful around the upcoming draft it is a down year and the consensus is their isn't a lot of NHL star material.   With Vegas in the mix and the expansion draft it might a good strategy to gather picks for both 2017 and 2018. 

Of course this depends on the willingness to be sellers at the deadline. Both Miller Burrows Hansen and even Sbisa could gather future picks.

Archived