The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Waivers] Mike Ribeiro and Alexei Marchenko

From Vingan in the Tennessean: http://www.tennessean.com/story/sports/nhl/predators/2017/02/03/predators-place-veteran-mike-ribeiro-waivers/97441074/

The Predators placed veteran center Mike Ribeiro on waivers Friday.

Predators coach Peter Laviolette didn't offer the most confidence-inspiring endorsement of Ribeiro earlier this week when asked where the veteran center stood with him after a recent string of scratches.

"He's a member of our team," he said.

Ribeiro hasn't been active much lately, scratched in Nashville's past three games and five of the team's past 11.

The 36-year-old, who is in the final year of a $7 million contract signed in July 2015, still possesses the vision that has led to a team-high 111 assists during his two-plus seasons in Nashville, but he's a playmaker in decline.

Ribeiro is the most sheltered player in the NHL, starting a league-high 50.3 percent of his shifts in the offensive zone, according to the website corsica.hockey.

"It's never an ideal situation for anybody," Predators general manager David Poile said Wednesday. "It's obviously worse for a top player, a player that has played as long as Mike has. I think that he needs to get back into the lineup at some point. If he's not going to be playing on a regular basis, it'd probably be reason to have a talk or a meeting about it. But I have not talked to him about it yet. ... I think I'm just going to have to respond to the situation based on if he's not playing on a regular basis."

I don't think any team wants that goof in their dressing room. I was surprised when Nashville signed him after phoenix bought him out 1 year into a 4 year deal for his "behaviour issues" (Google ribeiro charged, I'd rather not write it on the boards).

Mike Ribeiro is an awful person and honestly idk why his crimes didnt become as big a deal as kanes for example. He sexually assaulted his nanny while his kids were in the room. People thought Evander Kane would be bad for the dressing room imagine Ribeiro

Archived