The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Songs that speak to you

nuckin_futz

1 hour ago, Cerridwen said:

I think you're probably the only other person on this board who knows who Jason Isbell (and The Drive-By Truckers) is/are besides me! *tips hat*..... Isbell is an incredible talent....I've posted DBT songs here several times before....including this very one.

He truly is incredible. DBT was much better with him, although I think he has reached another level after doing his own thing

incoming life story

i was in a bad place after high school-- coming off finding out my first gf was cheating on me, after 6 months together (like omg 6 months hs time is like forever, talking about where to go for college and ****) with one of my "best friends" (lol best friend in hs like, have this knife, kay, i'ma turn around for a sec), then finding out from school counselor that i won't even graduate from hs, and i'd only have my grade 10 cause of something i didn't do in grade 11, so i kinda got screwed over, big time. i was also bounced around a lot in my childhood from home to home and school to school cause i was constantly moving and my parents had their issues and i was in and out of foster homes for most of my childhood, so i missed out on a lot of stuff and as a result was a troubled child and would constantly be in trouble with the teachers and had daily meetings in principals office, to the point in grade 6 was already a cynical old man who hated the system and everyone i was around

at the time, i was young and stupid, and couldn't put two and two together until a little later when i smartened up, and to sum up 2006-2007, and basically my childhood

06-07 i fell into a bad crowd and was experimenting with drugs, mixing stuff with liquor, for a more intense high/black out state, been in hospital a couple of times for overdose and alcohol poisoning, all the while my parents never knew, and they wouldn't find out until years later, when i was 25 when i came clean about my post hs days, i shouldn't even be alive after 06-07, or even came out with a clean bill of health for how much i slept around for stuff. i was at least smart enough to not share needles, so there was that, but at that time, i wanted to be as blacked out as possible

towards mid 2007, i didn't want that lifestyle anymore. i was about to try crack for the first time, but being in a friends basement with all these strung out people, and how depressing the atmosphere was, i stepped outside and puked, and it started to rain, this nice may morning. i shut the door, after my friends cat ran out and i walked from my friends place, near brittania secondary, to my parents place on victoria drive and 49th, a near 4 hour trek and things started to make sense as i went on

towards the end of 07 and going into 08, i went to a mental health clinic on marine drive to try and get my **** together but after a couple of months it wasn't my thing because i never believed in it, cause throughout my childhood i was always seeing these people and they never once helped me so i gave up and a friend of mine hooked me up with morphine and i kinda "fell off the wagon" and was addicted to morphine for most of 2008. i found myself in a volunteer gig to do more stuff with my time and the end of 2008, i found my first job, at 20 years old, but before my first job, i felt the more things changed, the more things stayed the same. i had dreams but i was beset by creatures of my past

after surviving 2008 and going into 2009, i had a completely different attitude. i finished my 3 month probation period and i also realized that i havent touched anything in a few months. with my first pay cheque in January 2009, i bought a dinky little sony cybershot camera and decided to take up photography. i started out pointing and shooting random stuff, until, one day, fast forward to 2010, i was at a friends place, and we went hiking and i saw a pretty leaf with some rain droplets on it, and i thought it was the most beautiful thing i've ever seen

i still have that photo to this day, almost 7 years ago, this april

20744l3.jpg

and with that, at the time, i let music really be a healing thing for me, and the first song that really helped me see the beauty of this image, from a band who i always knew from the radio, but having looked up the discography, i heard a lot more than just roundabout, and these guys started the complete rebuild of my life with uplifting stuff that i wanted to hear, and i guess you could say that i had an awakening

over the years from 2010-2013 i was living life as a full time working adult, trying to contribute to society but came 2014 and i was looking for a challenge and i started working in my first kitchen. i started off as a dishwasher, but quickly made my way to line cook in just 6 months

but 2014 was a challenge in itself, after losing a close friend at the end of 2013, losing a friend to swine flu february 2014, and a friend to suicide in july of that year, i was forced to "leave it all at the door" and try telling that to someone who's lived their entire life of trauma but i tried

however the kitchen life brought all new challenges, like working for asshole owners and just working a real thankless job as a cook

and 2014-2016 brought back my demons from the past and i had a real problem with alcohol. it's not like me being a character on here and using alcohol for comedy, it was real bad, to the point in 2015 i was using it as a cry for help. i was miserable, to the point where i was having panic attacks on a daily basis, especially when i was appointed kitchem manager summer 2015, because i was literally all they had and i worked 2 weeks straight, 12+ hours a day. i nearly lost whatever friends i had left, who told me to quit there a long time ago, and my relationship almost went down the tubes and i had a real troubling liquor problem

september 2015, i quit working for these guys and went to a catering place, who treated me a lot better, but it was a challenge adapting to a new schedule, going from working late nights to early mornings. i was under an enourmous amount of pressure, due to my friend, who i knew from years back, going back to my first job, put me over big time, saying that i'm some kind of game changer. it was a rough first month but i started to get it, built a relationship with everyone, but then their dishwasher went down, and they appointed me to that post. you'd think being a dishwasher is easy, but a fullblown catering place, making 11.50 an hour, for how much **** was dumped on you, it's not fun. so i went from, liking being the line cook, right back to being miserable, until i got an offer to go bACK to my old place, for a promise of a better pay because they couldn't get the staff, and i was expecting a baby at the time

i took the offer to go back to my old work, and not only didn't i get what i was promised, i was back to the miserable schedule where i left in the first place. after i filled my 2 weeks notiice from the catering place. it was going to be my last day, until i found out that the baby i was expecting died. i was back to work just 2 days later and i felt myself back to square one, my past haunting me, with all of these deaths. i lasted only 3 months back at my old work, until i quit one day, telling the new kitchen manager, i don't want to do this forever-- being miserable here and cleaning up puke every night, because you over serve your costumers, so i quit, and on my way out, made sure that not only did i burn my bridges on my way out, i blew that bitch up and moved on to white spot, which i worked 11 days straight, right after being hired, because they had issues finding staff. on the 11th day, i seriously wanted to kill myself, after losing my baby, friends, the **** childhood i missed out on, all of the sexual, physical and mental abuse i had to go through throughout my life, i had enough/ it all came crashing down

i was never one to have a lot of confidence, but from 2014 to 16 i was broken

january 2016, post white spot, i was on EI and just riding that out and tried to rebuild my life, and i went a whole 2 months without drinking and started to get back to what i was successful before, and that was photography. once i got my first EI cheque in march i set out and did what i was good at before. all the while, i had a long term goal in place. i would be on medical EI (depression is what my doc written up) for the term that was quoted, then i would find work again

after some much needed rest and mental rebuilding, may 2016, i applied first just one job, safeway bakery, and i was hired on the spot. to this day, i'm still there and i went from drinking every single day to "get by" to drinking on my days off. i met a compromise. there are days where it can be stressful because i brought my kitchen work ethic to this bakery and it's almost expected i put in 200% every day but you don't always get that

if you were to ask me, buy or sell: 2015 or 2016, i'd buy on 2015, in spite of it all. '15 set the groundwork for who i am today, and really pushed my limits on how i handled everyday life, and i'm someone who has severe drug induced, childhood trauma, social anxiety and paranoia, i function really well and i'm grateful for the friends i have now, who see me as a leader, because of how much knowledge i have in life, and i'm not even 30 yet. there's still more for me to learn. i'm still a kid, at 28. i've learned a long time ago that i was put on this earth for a reason, and someone who should be dead, it's getting better, man

the song that speaks to me for my 28 years on this earth, and if i'm to die tomorrow, i can die knowing that i made a difference in someone's life for being able to smarten up and use my life experience to try and help someone

1 hour ago, smithers joe said:

i don't know how to post all that stuff, but for me it had to be diamond reo's, one more day. when my wife passed away, that really helped.

For Joe .. 

Last night I had a crazy dream
A wish was granted just for me
It could be for anything
I didn't ask for money
Or a mansion in Malibu
I simply wished for one more day with you!

One more day, one more time
One more sunset, maybe I'd be satisfied
But then again, I know what it would do
Leave me wishing still for one more day with you
One more day

First thing I'd do is pray for time to crawl
I'd unplug the telephone and keep the t.v off
I'd hold you every second
Say a million I love you's
That's what I'd do with one more day with you

One more sunset maybe I'd be satisfied
But then again I know what it would do

Leave me wishing still for one more day

2 hours ago, Tearloch7 said:

For Joe .. 

Last night I had a crazy dream
A wish was granted just for me
It could be for anything
I didn't ask for money
Or a mansion in Malibu
I simply wished for one more day with you!

One more sunset, maybe I'd be satisfied
But then again, I know what it would do
One more day

First thing I'd do is pray for time to crawl
I'd unplug the telephone and keep the t.v off
I'd hold you every second
Say a million I love you's
That's what I'd do with one more day with you

thank you for that lad.  after 11 years, i'ld still be wishing for one more with her.

6 hours ago, Twilight Sparkle said:

if you were to ask me, buy or sell: 2015 or 2016, i'd buy on 2015, in spite of it all. '15 set the groundwork for who i am today, and really pushed my limits on how i handled everyday life, and i'm someone who has severe drug induced, childhood trauma, social anxiety and paranoia, i function really well and i'm grateful for the friends i have now, who see me as a leader, because of how much knowledge i have in life, and i'm not even 30 yet. there's still more for me to learn. i'm still a kid, at 28. i've learned a long time ago that i was put on this earth for a reason, and someone who should be dead, it's getting better, man

the song that speaks to me for my 28 years on this earth, and if i'm to die tomorrow, i can die knowing that i made a difference in someone's life for being able to smarten up and use my life experience to try and help someone

Am I allowed to hug you, TS?  You are one of the strongest people it's my privilege to 'know'. Thank you for sharing your challenges and your victories with all of us... and for sharing the music that has helped you find your way through to this new path you find yourself upon.....One of positive steps forward into your future.  It takes great courage to share one's heart and soul with 'strangers' but can also be very healing.... Your strength and positive outlook on life is inspiring..... A very wise man once told me that knowing oneself and loving oneself is the key to most everything else in life..... I wish you all the very, very best, TS... you inspire us all!

Love is real, real is love
Love is feeling, feeling love
Love is wanting to be loved

Love is touch, touch is love
Love is reaching, reaching love
Love is asking to be loved

Love is you
You and me
Love is knowing
we can be

Love is free, free is love
Love is living, living love
Love is needing to be loved

8 minutes ago, SILLY GOOSE said:

Can't think of too many songs that been a constant anthem for me, for sure this song.  Not so much lyrically, but the melody and production capture the college/indy rock era perfectly.  

This album and the one before along with bands like Texas is the reason etc - definitely a golden era for me growing up with some good friends before phones just hanging out and making it all up as we went along.

if I think of lyrics to describe the above I'd have to go with this one - although obviously released well after the mid to late 90's

@Twilight Sparkle well I certainly wasn't expecting a story like that when I started this thread. Thanks for sharing.

This might not be your style of music, but if it is you may have found your new theme song.

All that rain outside my window, it goes on and on, I know
It's gettin' better every day
Soon the sun will shine outside my window, when it's gonna come
No I really, I couldn't say
No no no no no no, it's gettin' better every day - thank you

Can you hear it? Oh, it's gettin' better now, every day, yeah yeah yeah yeah

I'm a hard workin' man, doin' all that I can, tryin' to make ends meet
Just a-makin' my way through the jungle today, it's gettin' the best of me

But it's only gettin' better, and a change is gonna come my way
Yes it's only gettin' better, better every day, aha yeah

I've been changin' the scene, if you know what I mean
Good things are comin' my way
And now I'm livin' my life, and I try doin' it right
Sun shinin' every day

Well it's only gettin' better, and a change is gonna come my way
Yes it's only gettin' better, better every day

Now it's only gettin' better, and a change is gonna come my way
Yes it's only so much better, oh, gettin' better every day, yeah
I can feel it, feel it gettin' better, whoa, day and night
I feel it, feel it gettin' better every day
Gettin' better, it's gettin' better, it's gettin' better

See him wasted on the sidewalk, in his jacket and his jeans
Wearin' yesterday's misfortunes like a smile
Once he had a future, full of money love and dreams
Which he spent like they was goin' out o' style

And he keeps right on a'changin', for the better or the worse
Searchin' for a shrine he's never found
Never knowin' if believin', is a blessin' or a curse
Or if the goin' up was worth, the comin' down

He's a poet, an' he's a picker, he's a prophet, an' he's a pusher
He's a pilgrim and a preacher, and a problem when he's stoned
He's a walkin' contradiction, partly truth and partly fiction
Takin' ev'ry wrong direction on his lonely way back home

He has tasted good and evil, in your bedrooms and your bars
And he's traded in tomorrow for today
Runnin' from his devils Lord, and reachin' for the stars
And losin' all he loved, along the way

But if this world keeps right on turnin', for the better or the worse
And all he ever gets is older and around
From the rockin' of the cradle, to the rollin' of the hearse
The goin' up was worth, the comin' down

He's a poet, an' he's a picker, he's a prophet, an' he's a pusher
He's a pilgrim and a preacher, and a problem when he's stoned
He's a walkin' contradiction, partly truth and partly fiction
Takin' ev'ry wrong direction on his lonely way back home

There's a lot of wrong directions, on that lonely way back home

My love, she speaks like silence
Without ideals or violence
She doesn't have to say she's faithful
Yet she's true like ice, like fire
People carry roses
And make promises by the hour
My love she laughs like the flowers
Valentines can't buy her

In the dime stores and bus stations
People talk of situations
Read books, repeat quotations
Draw conclusions on the wall
Some speak of the future
My love, she speaks softly
She knows there's no success like failure
And that failure's no success at all

The cloak and dagger dangles
Madams light the candles
In ceremonies of the horsemen
Even the pawn must hold a grudge
Statues made of matchsticks
Crumble into one another
My love winks she does not bother
She knows too much to argue or to judge

The bridge at midnight trembles
The country doctor rambles
Bankers' nieces seek perfection
Expecting all the gifts that wise men bring
The wind howls like a hammer
The night wind blows cold n' rainy
My love, she's like some raven
At my window with a broken wing

It's a thin line that leads us and keeps a man from shame
And dark clouds quickly gather along the way he came
There's fear out on the mountain and death out on the plain
There's heartbreak and heart-ache in the shadow of the flame
Chorus:
[But]this love will carry, this love will carry me
I know this love will carry me
The strongest web will tangle, the sweetest bloom will fall
And somewhere in the distance we try and catch it all
Success lasts for a moment and failure's always near
And you look down at your blistered hands as turns another year
Chorus
These days are golden, they must not waste away
For our time is like that flower and soon it will decay
And though by storms we're weakened, uncertainty is sure
And like the coming of the dawn it's ours for evermore
Chorus

Take the children and yourself
And hide out in the cellar
By now the fighting will be close at hand
Don't believe the church and state
And everything they tell you
Believe in me, I'm with the high command

Can you hear me, can you hear me running?
Can you hear me running, can you hear me calling you?

There's a gun and ammunition
Just inside the doorway
Use it only in emergency
Better you should pray to God
The Father and the Spirit
Will guide you and protect from up here

Swear allegiance to the flag
Whatever flag they offer
Never hint at what you really feel
Teach the children quietly
For some day sons and daughters
Will rise up and fight while we stood still

Can you hear me running (can you hear me calling you?)
(Can you hear me) hear me calling you?
(Can you hear me running) hear me running babe?
(Can you hear me running) hear me running?
Calling you, calling you

Sweet Sir Galahad
Came in through the window
In the night when
The moon was in the yard.
He took her hand in his
And shook the long hair
From his neck and he told her
She'd been working much too hard.
It was true that ever since the day
Her crazy man had passed away
To the land of poet's pride,
She laughed and talked alot
With new people on the block
But always at evening time she cried.

And here's to the dawn of their days.

She moved her head
A little down on the bed
Until it rested softly on his knee.
And there she dropped her smile
And there she sighed awhile,
And told him all the sadness
Of those years that numbered three.
Well you know I think my fate's belated
Because of all the hours I waited
For the day when I'd no longer cry.
I get myself to work by eight
But oh, was I born too late,
And do you think I'll fail
At every single thing I try?

And here's to the dawn of their days.

He just put his arm around her
And that's the way I found her
Eight months later to the day.
The lines of a smile erased
The tear tracks upon her face,
A smile could linger, even stay.
Sweet Sir Galahad went down
With his gay bride of flowers,
The prince of the hours
Of her lifetime.

And here's to the dawn
Of their days,
Of their days.

On 04/02/2017 at 0:33 PM, SILLY GOOSE said:

Can't think of too many songs that been a constant anthem for me, for sure this song.  Not so much lyrically, but the melody and production capture the college/indy rock era perfectly.  

fine, fine choice. i've been listening to that album a bit this year out of nostalgia. some bits of it just float by, but others hit just as hard as when i first heard them.

perhaps an obvious choice, but this song has aged exceptionally well and makes me feel like a teen again

Sometimes there just are no explanations as to why some songs 'speak'.....

In the beginning,
I was counting the stones on the seashore,
Looking for the precious ones.
Among the stones, I found many pretty things
While the sea rolled on beside me all the time.

And time moved on.
I had collected many stones 'til I tired of them,
And I think they tired of me.
Some were lovely, but I was never satisfied,
And the sea rolled on beside me all the time.

And the wind rose, East and cold.
Whisp'ring sweetly to my soul.
And it said "Look you fool,
You are missing precious things:
Raise your eyes and look towards the sea."

And so I looked:
It was as if I saw the sea for the first time,
And it's power captured me.
All the time I had wasted seeking stones,
I had missed the rolling glory of the sea.

And the sea
Devoured a mighty swathe of heart, overwhelmed me
In a way I couldn't know,
And the price for the love of greater things
Was surrender to the great and cruel sea.

And it stole me, and I feared the aching sea,
It consumed me, drowned my mind.
The wind said "Look, you fool,
No matter what you do,
You can't contain the ocean like a stone.

Archived