The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Alex Edler could get traded because of the expansion draft

TDemko16

Source in the end it talks about Edler} http://www.thefourthperiod.com/columnists/pagnotta/dp170205.html

And for the Canucks, making the playoffs may actually be counterproductive. This team needs to retool -- ownership won't allow for a full rebuild -- and while they're starting to see their young studs make greater impacts on the roster, a few more changes could be made.

Vancouver's entertained calls on defenseman Alexander Edler for the last two seasons, and with the Canucks expected to protect more than four forwards in this summer's expansion draft, Edler may be exposed, as management may opt to keep blueliner Chris Tanev, Erik Gudbranson and Luca Sbisa safe. It would not be out of the realm of possibility if the Canucks test the market on him this month.

I am sorry burst this bubble because I would LOVE to see Eagle get traded for a good young forward prospect or picks. However, he has a full no trade this year and has gone on record in the past saying he would NOT waive.

http://www.thefourthperiod.com/no_trade_list.html

I thought it fitting to source my claim from the same website who claims to have Eddie on the block.

Cheers,

Vancity

3 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Sure about that?

Either way they're not giving Edler away for nothing. They won't be exposing him.

They may not expose him but they may tell him he will be exposed so they can get him to agree to a trade elsewhere. Edler doesn't strike me as the kind of guy that would want to play in Vegas or on an expansion team.

3 minutes ago, Rick Blight said:

They may not expose him but they may tell him he will be exposed so they can get him to agree to a trade elsewhere. Edler doesn't strike me as the kind of guy that would want to play in Vegas or on an expansion team.

He could also call their bluff. I doubt the Canucks would give him to Vegas for nothing.

If a trade does go down it will happen in the offseason out of respect to Edler. Management has already said they won't ask players to waive.

15 minutes ago, Vancity87 said:

I am sorry burst this bubble because I would LOVE to see Eagle get traded for a good young forward prospect or picks. However, he has a full no trade this year and has gone on record in the past saying he would NOT waive.

I thought it fitting to source my claim from the same website who claims to have Eddie on the block.

Cheers,

Vancity

I believe Edler has also stated that he would accept being traded if management told him that he was no longer needed. 

Not quite sure what his deal is, doesn't he want another shot at the cup? With his back issues, injury history and often complacent play he doesn't come off as a guy that will be playing deep into is 30's.

Time's almost up Alex, I don't see us competing for a cup for at least 5 years and you've hung em up for good, so... beat it, hit the road, Jack. And thanks for being our best Dman for the last while, but the door is that way >>.

10 minutes ago, goalie13 said:

How does this qualify as a rumour?  It just sounds like speculation based on current circumstances.

Bingo. There is no concrete source, not even for the rumour that the Canucks have fielded calls on him the last two years. Pure speculation.

That move would put Hutton/tryamkin/sbisa as our go-to left side D for the shutdown pair that's asking a lot from either of them.

edler isn't perfect but he's a vet that takes on a lot of the heavy lifting on D

BUT if the return is something you can't ignore than bye bye Eddie 

2 hours ago, Vancity87 said:

Cheers,

Vancity

Things could change bro. When did he say that, 3 years ago? 

I want to see Edler traded along with Burrows, Miller and one of Hansen and Granlund. I think we'll see a lot of movement at the trade deadline because the price of acquiring players won't be as high as it's been in years past. 

Free agency will also be interesting because teams will be looking to fill those extra holes and we'll have one more team in on the bidding. 

Archived