The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Alex Edler could get traded because of the expansion draft

TDemko16

2 minutes ago, D-Money said:

That's more plausible to me too, simply because Tanev has no trade protection, and can be sent anywhere (i.e. Colorado).

Edler's NTC means he will likely only go to a contender, and most of them have 3 D-men as valuable or more than him. It would have to be a fantastic offer.

yes, and as mentioned in this thread. the left side isn't quite ready to replace what Edler brings.  It would be a lot to ask on Hutton or Tryamkin into heavy minutes .  On the right side a healthy Gudbranson "helps" replace Tanev. 

4 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

yes, and as mentioned in this thread. the left side isn't quite ready to replace what Edler brings.  It would be a lot to ask on Hutton or Tryamkin into heavy minutes .  On the right side a healthy Gudbranson "helps" replace Tanev. 

True.

But I still see it more likely to happen at the end of the season, prior to the expansion draft. With Gud out, Canucks still giving the appearance that they're competing, and the Avs not wanting to win until next season, there's not a lot of reason to do it now.

18 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

I agree with this mostly but I think they way our team is shaping up on defense, I see us moving Sbisa for w/e we can get for him which IMO will be decent return at the deadline.

He's playing pretty decently this year and has no NTC, has 1 year left and fullfills our need to move 1 of our players that we can't protect. To a playoff team he adds depth, a bit of grit and mobility. Definitely a better add than Polak + Spaling which got 2 2nds...

For expansion this gives the team flexibility for exposure, giving them the requirements on a player that has 1 year left until a UFA. If he gets claimed then he becomes a rental for that 1 year, if he doesn't it gives the team a bit more depth for a year.

I know people want to ship the high ticket flavor for high ticket value but Edler, Tanev, Guddy will be the blocks in place to keep a stable core for the rookies to inject and build upon. They will need more time to surpass and whilst time continues to age these players, I just see a harder sale for a team to make such a high valued trade AND need to protect the player they acquired.

42 minutes ago, J.R. said:

Eklund-esque blogger writes something with absolutely no basis or source other than their own opinion and CDC goes gaga.... :picard:

That's pretty much par for the course.

I suppose it was my own fault for getting my hopes up, when I saw the original 'Rumour' tag I thought this thread might actually have a rumour, something of substance.  But no, it's just more of the same.

12 hours ago, VIC_CITY said:

I want to see Edler traded along with Burrows, Miller and one of Hansen and Granlund. I think we'll see a lot of movement at the trade deadline because the price of acquiring players won't be as high as it's been in years past. 

Free agency will also be interesting because teams will be looking to fill those extra holes and we'll have one more team in on the bidding. 

:picard:

The only way Edler isn't a Canucks is, his contract runs out and he is not re-signed.

Any other way is a virtual impossibility as per Canucks management and as per Edler who refused waiving twice; once under Gillis and once under Benning.

14 minutes ago, D-Money said:

True.

But I still see it more likely to happen at the end of the season, prior to the expansion draft. With Gud out, Canucks still giving the appearance that they're competing, and the Avs not wanting to win until next season, there's not a lot of reason to do it now.

I don't think that Av's really have any interest in Tanev. He's not what they are looking for.  TB and ARZ are only real teams interested in RHD. 

with all the talk of trading hansen and now this I feel like I'm the only one that read the article about vegas getting involved in expansion draft protection related trades.  specifically, that teams could trade them futures or picks for a promise hat they won't pick a certain player. 

so the canucks could send the torts 2nd and a 2018 3rd to vegas for the promise that they don't take hansen or sbisa.  so the canucks don't protect sbisa or hansen and get to keep them and vegas walks away with biega, a 2nd and a 3rd. 

5 minutes ago, tas said:

with all the talk of trading hansen and now this I feel like I'm the only one that read the article about vegas getting involved in expansion draft protection related trades.  specifically, that teams could trade them futures or picks for a promise hat they won't pick a certain player. 

so the canucks could send the torts 2nd and a 2018 3rd to vegas for the promise that they don't take hansen or sbisa.  so the canucks don't protect sbisa or hansen and get to keep them and vegas walks away with biega, a 2nd and a 3rd. 

I really can't see them taking Hansen anyway. 'Lifer' vet coming off injury plagued season and goes UFA the following summer and could easily bolt back to the Canucks/elsewhere, with an NTC that would make shopping him before next TDL for any kind of return VERY hard.

As awesome as the Honeybadger is, I think they take a pass. That's way too much risk to gamble on.

Our best bet is to move an expansion draft eligible D. If we could swing a Tanev + one of Baer/Granlund for Domi (who is ED exempt) trade, we could even protect Hansen. If not, I leave him exposed and cross my fingers. If we do lose Hansen, re-sign Burr for 1 year and try to bring Hansen back the year following when he goes UFA.

We likely lose Gaunce so long as we can move a D though IMO. Crappy, but not irreplaceable.

1 minute ago, J.R. said:

I really can't see them taking Hansen anyway. 'Lifer' vet coming off injury plagued season and goes UFA the following summer and could easily bolt back to the Canucks/elsewhere, with an NTC that would make shopping him before next TDL for any kind of return VERY hard.

As awesome as the Honeybadger is, I think they take a pass. That's way too much risk to gamble on.

Our best bet is to move an expansion draft eligible D. If we could swing a Tanev + one of Baer/Granlund for Domi (who is ED exempt) trade, we could even protect Hansen. If not, I leave him exposed and cross my fingers. If we do lose Hansen, re-sign Burr for 1 year and try to bring Hansen back the year following when he goes UFA.

We likely lose Gaunce so long as we can move a D though IMO. Crappy, but not irreplaceable.

I think they would take Hansen.  They can trade him at next year's TDL for a hefty return.  

Just now, mll said:

I think they would take Hansen.  They can trade him at next year's TDL for a hefty return.  

Glad you read my post...

4 minutes ago, J.R. said:

8 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Edler to Tampa for Killorn, 2nd.

That would be ideal. Tampa seems to have a "thing" for Vancouver D-men (Bowness connection?). And Edler has experience playing with Garrison. And Tampa needs to shed a forward before the draft.

But, all of these proposed deals are with teams farther out of the playoff race than we are. So still don't see anything happening until the end of the season.

6 minutes ago, mll said:

If Hansen is picked by Vegas - why would he not agree to go to contender at next year's TDL when he only has a few months until he is UFA.  

Perhaps he doesn't want to move his young family more than once? As I said, it's far too much risk if I'm LAV. I'll take a good young player with leadership who's RFA when his contract expires.

Or even better, something like this happens:

19 minutes ago, J.R. said:

If we could swing a Tanev + one of Baer/Granlund for Domi (who is ED exempt) trade, we could even protect Hansen.

2 minutes ago, D-Money said:

That would be ideal. Tampa seems to have a "thing" for Vancouver D-men (Bowness connection?). And Edler has experience playing with Garrison. And Tampa needs to shed a forward before the draft.

But, all of these proposed deals are with teams farther out of the playoff race than we are. So still don't see anything happening until the end of the season.

Yup only a team in real contention for the playoffs will be buying for players that are expansion eligible.

Edler is an offseason deal, contract money, term and expansion makes it too complex for a deadline deal.

Sbisa is the ticket to trade, no NTC and he'll have value at the deadline. isn't world breaking to lose on expansion and could help a team in need of help with exposure requirements.

Biega needs 1 more game for us to have him eligible for exposure

Just now, D-Money said:

Teams out of the playoff race tends to mean 5 or 6 pts though - which is not unsurmountable and in Tampa's case they also have a few games in hand on Boston.

I highly doubt Yzerman is giving up on the postseason - but regardless, this deal makes sense for that team to make before expansion.

They stand to expose either Garrison or Sustr as it stands - exposing both really shouldn't be that much more of a concern, certainly relative to what they expose as forwards.

So they have a similar and opposite situation.  This enables them to come out the other side of expansion with Hedman, Stralman and Elder -  with at least one of those two to round out their top 4.  For us, we may have to lose one of Baertschi, Granlund, Killorn, but come out the other side with a pair of middle six LW, as opposed to potentially losing one the position the team is arguably most shallow.  We also mitigate our loss with a 2nd - which we may actually be able to dangle in a deal to LV to persuade them to take a different player than one of those likely targets.

In any event, imo it's not inconceivable that the team wants to retain Sbisa moving forward, or that Elder may be open to a move to a team like Tampa - very Swede friendly, with a beast in Hedman who could lighten the load on Elder.  If it's Tampa or Las Vegas.....

4 hours ago, D-Money said:

Backwards logic. Every good team in the league already has their own D-men that need protecting. They're not going to pay fair value to add a guy that could essentially be a rental - or force them to expose another guy they wanted to protect.

There are likely going to be multiple good D-men available before the draft for reduced prices. If we are to trade Edler, it would be best to wait until AFTER the expansion draft, when his value would be significantly more. There will be some teams looking to replace a guy they lost.

Your logic and mine is totally backwards.

Last week I looked at Washington, this week I looked at Minnisota.

Wash = 10F and 8D protected/exposed

Minni = 12 F and 7D

Those teams will lose a good player in the ex-draft.

It is interesting the lack of vision put forth on this site.

There are 10 teams with a ligitimate shot at the Cup this year, most of them look like Minni or Wash. They will rent players if they think it will put them over the top. 

Nobody expected the Leddy/ Boychuk trades. Then they happened and CDC is all, "We can do that too!" Then Terravanen gets traded, same response.

The Expansion draft is an opportunity for a smart GM, both at the top and the bottom of the food chain. Time will tell if Jim has the stones to pull off a smart move for a win during expansion.

Washington or Minni could use an  Edler in the 5 hole for the playoffs then not get stuck with his cap hit next year. Or he replaces the player lost to expansion.  Its like rentals with term that does not come back to bite.

I see nothing but opportunity for a smart GM.

16 hours ago, DeNiro said:

He could also call their bluff. I doubt the Canucks would give him to Vegas for nothing.

If a trade does go down it will happen in the offseason out of respect to Edler. Management has already said they won't ask players to waive.

Yep cause every team does exactly what they say they'll do to the media...

Archived