The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Proposal) Claude Julien next Canuck head coach?

Just now, J.R. said:

This just in: Canucks are in the middle of a rebuild.

Not gonna find a bigger supporter of our rebuild around here JR. I'm not talking about wins and losses, I'm okay with losing to get better later. I'm talking about boring entertainment. Which is quite the oxymoron, but which is what the Canucks have shown me the last while. 

Show me a 60 minute effort, I'm happy regardless of the outcome. Watching guys float, flap their sticks as opposed to laying hits, and Philip Larsen, I'd think you can understand my frustration of late. 

59 minutes ago, Mr53 said:

He's a real good coach.

But since he was on the bruins and was a knob in 2011 he can suck me where the sun don't shine

I might not phrase things the same way ;) but pretty much share the sentiment.

He's a very good coach. I'd say top-10 anyway (not sure I'd agree with Ferraro about top-5 though). But very good regardless.

But as far as off the ice stuff goes, I really don't like the guy. And that goes back to before 2011. Post-2011, I'd say I pretty much hate him. Just his press statements and general dimeanor rubs me the wrong way.

Can't imagine having to see his face on the bench and listen to him during the pressers every game.

He'd have to be extremely successful here, and pretty much immediately, or his act would wear thin really quick for me.

1 minute ago, ThaShady1 said:

Not gonna find a bigger supporter of our rebuild around here JR. I'm not talking about wins and losses, I'm okay with losing to get better later. I'm talking about boring entertainment. Which is quite the oxymoron, but which is what the Canucks have shown me the last while. 

Show me a 60 minute effort, I'm happy regardless of the outcome. Watching guys float, flap their sticks as opposed to laying hits, and Philip Larsen, I'd think you can understand my frustration of late. 

I agree they haven't played well the last couple weeks in particular (and here and there throughout the season).

Win or lose, I generally enjoy the games we play hard in (which has been about 75% of the games this season +/-) and/or the ones where we see glimpses of the kids progressing. There hasn't been a ton of either in the recent games.

We're in the middle of a rebuild, it's not going to be a Picasso every night.

19 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Great idea.  We are kind of in the same spot the Bruins were, when they hired Julien.  We have several talented you prospects coming up, and they deserve a quality coach.

This is an important point.  I haven't been impressed with WD's handling of our prospects and his questionable deployment of players.  He doesn't try to match lines or put much thought into the players he puts out on the ice at crucial times in the game.  On the other hand, Julien is a smart tactician.

People here call Julien a tool.  But maybe he's a sharp tool that the Canucks need.  Others here want to promote Green but he's too green.  As someone suggested, he should start as Julien's assistant.

Sometimes I just don't get CDC logic. Everyone here wants to win, yet they don't want to hire a coach because he beat the Canucks in the finals?

CJ might not be my favourite coach in the league, but he outclasses WD by a wide margin. He might not be a fit in Vancouver, but coaches like Julien don't come up too often.

22 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Great idea.  We are kind of in the same spot the Bruins were, when they hired Julien.  We have several talented you prospects coming up, and they deserve a quality coach.

Haggerty was just on TSN1040.  

One of the reasons Boston is moving on is because he is reluctant to play their young players.  They think the league is trending towards younger more speed and skills and that he is too conservative.  When things get tough he tends to clog it up and be happy to win a 1 goal game but that's not how the Bruins want to play going forward.  They want a coach that will adjust to more youth, speed and skills.

2 minutes ago, Deets said:

Sometimes I just don't get CDC logic. Everyone here wants to win, yet they don't want to hire a coach because he beat the Canucks in the finals?

CJ might not be my favourite coach in the league, but he outclasses WD by a wide margin. He might not be a fit in Vancouver, but coaches like Julien don't come up too often.

He beat the Canucks in the finals which is great for him, but pre Bruins.  Hell, pre Chara and Thomas he was an average coach, watching him get literally schooled by the Hawks in the finals tells me he is adverse to change in the same way AV was in the 2011 finals.  He had the right players on hand to change things up but didn't.  he could have converted Chara to deal with the Hawks D but didn't.

He's a good coach no question, but not what this club needs at all during a "retool".

1 hour ago, yes we can nucks said:

Should the Canucks hire Julien as their next head coach if they fail to make the playoffs?  Julien's an experienced winning coach in the NHL.  He's respected around the league as a great motivator and tactician.  He's the winningest coach in Bruin history.  He's won a Stanley Cup and has a gold medal at the international level.  And of course he's got that connection with Jim Benning.

I like it bcuz benning wants a meat and potato type team and Claude Julian coached the best meat and potato team at that time. He knows how to coach the big boys. Maybe resurrect Eriksson and virtanen. His lineups would be solid.

2 minutes ago, mll said:

Haggerty was just on TSN1040.  

One of the reasons Boston is moving on is because he is reluctant to play their young players.  They think the league is trending towards younger more speed and skills and that he is too conservative.  When things get tough he tends to clog it up and be happy to win a 1 goal game but that's not how the Bruins want to play going forward.  They want a coach that will adjust to more youth, speed and skills.

That sounds exactly like the style of play Willie D employs.  Excellent point.  Maybe we do need a new coach, who is a forward thinker, and is good with the young guys?  Travis Green?

5 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

He beat the Canucks in the finals which is great for him, but pre Bruins.  Hell, pre Chara and Thomas he was an average coach, watching him get literally schooled by the Hawks in the finals tells me he is adverse to change in the same way AV was in the 2011 finals.  He had the right players on hand to change things up but didn't.  he could have converted Chara to deal with the Hawks D but didn't.

He's a good coach no question, but not what this club needs at all during a "retool".

He beat a skilled team like the canucks back then with a meat and potato team. The league is trending towards skill too. Benning wants a meat and potato team so this makes sense for us. Desjardan I respect him and all but his lineups stink and he doesn't do enough to fire up the boys 

8 minutes ago, Alflives said:

That sounds exactly like the style of play Willie D employs.  Excellent point.  Maybe we do need a new coach, who is a forward thinker, and is good with the young guys?  Travis Green?

Green has gone on record to say that he won't accept an assistant coaching gig. so for him, it's head coach or bust. which, i think limits his opportunities. I think he would do well to have some seasoning as an assistant coach with a franchise somewhere. would that to be in Van. 

1 hour ago, yes we can nucks said:

Should the Canucks hire Julien as their next head coach if they fail to make the playoffs?  Julien's an experienced winning coach in the NHL.  He's respected around the league as a great motivator and tactician.  He's the winningest coach in Bruin history.  He's won a Stanley Cup and has a gold medal at the international level.  And of course he's got that connection with Jim Benning.

This really should have been a poll. 

I dunno... Jim must have some kind of relationship with the guy, I suppose that will be the big factor in all of this. Maybe TDL will be about swapping coaches.

7 minutes ago, orcasgonewild said:

He beat a skilled team like the canucks back then with a meat and potato team. The league is trending towards skill too. Benning wants a meat and potato team so this makes sense for us. Desjardan I respect him and all but his lineups stink and he doesn't do enough to fire up the boys 

And then got his arse handed to him by a skilled Hawks team 2 seasons later.  We're fine where we are.  A coaching change does nothing for us now except possibly drive us in to the bubble.  It does little for us next year either.

Staying the course is not a bad thing at this point in time

Just now, S'all Good Man said:

This really should have been a poll. 

I dunno... Jim must have some kind of relationship with the guy, I suppose that will be the big factor in all of this. Maybe TDL will be about swapping coaches.

If he's available and we REALLY slide these next 2+ weeks (i'd be mroe shocked if we didn't) I could see it.  But there's little to no point in trying to salvage a season right now with a coaching change IMO

He's a good option but before looking at him, I'd assume they'd look at Gallant and maybe even Stevens. I haven't heard much rumblings around here since he's still an assistant with the Kings but he is another solid option if we were to let Willie go. but the easiest route to go is to go with a guy who knows the systems of the team and that's Green whether people like it or not

Archived