The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Proposal) Claude Julien next Canuck head coach?

2 hours ago, Lancaster said:

Because the last experiment with Keenan/Messier worked out great.  

Perhaps we should also get Chara or Marchand as well.  Then rip the "C" of Henrik's sweater and give it to him.  

In my best @oldnews voice: That argument is a non sequitur.  I shouldn't have to point out that Keenan is a different person than Julian.  Just because Keenan came in and made a mess of things in no way implies that Julian would do the same.  

No. Why no?

1-we aren't a coaching change away from success

2-I don't believe there is any desire amongst ownership or management to be paying 3 head coaches next year by letting WD go early

3-as Warhippy has stated earlier, hiring a proven coach at this juncture will probably only improve us to mediocrity. Stay the course and accumulate higher picks.

4-because it's Claude freakin Julien

1 hour ago, ilduce39 said:

Can't believe im saying this but I actually wouldn't mind if Julien were brought in. He's obviously qualified and if he has chemistry with JB it makes sense.

That said, Willy is doing fine in my opinion... for all the second guessing done, coaching is the least of our concerns. Still a ways to go rebuilding the roster.

Really well said.  Those are exactly my sentiments.  

"Still a ways to go rebuilding the roster." this is exactly why I don't think Julian would be interested in the Canucks.  He is an established coach and will get offers from teams further along in the rebuild. 

Claude at this stage in his career would be more interested in coaching a contender, someone like Dallas or the Islanders.  If he wanted a rebuilding team, Vegas would be another good option.  I don't see him coming to Vancouver unless his relationship with Benning is that strong.  Green is likely the next coach in Vancouver, whenever that will be

2 hours ago, mll said:

Haggerty was just on TSN1040.  

One of the reasons Boston is moving on is because he is reluctant to play their young players.  They think the league is trending towards younger more speed and skills and that he is too conservative.  When things get tough he tends to clog it up and be happy to win a 1 goal game but that's not how the Bruins want to play going forward.  They want a coach that will adjust to more youth, speed and skills.

Sounds like a certain coach on a western Canadian team with an ocean beside it.

42 minutes ago, stuman491 said:

Really well said.  Those are exactly my sentiments.  

"Still a ways to go rebuilding the roster." this is exactly why I don't think Julian would be interested in the Canucks.  He is an established coach and will get offers from teams further along in the rebuild. 

You're probably right - Julien is going to have his pick of the litter and probably doesn't want to be nit-picked to death in a rebuilding Canadian market.

I freaking hope not... the guy leads with a bull crap attitude which filters down to his bench and team.

When his player make a dirty hit on a player half their size like Chara driving Pacioretty's into a stanchion, he talks about "honest, tough hockey"... when one of his rats cheap shots another player (like Marchand on Salo), he whines about how his guys have to do anything they can to "protect" themselves from goons.

I would rather a crappier coach who is also not a weasel.

4 hours ago, stuman491 said:

I think its a good idea.  Ray Ferraro said a few weeks back that he is one of the top 5 coaches in the NHL and won't stay out of work a long time. As much as he makes me think about 2011 we did bring in Mike Keenan, so its been done before.

If Claude Julian would be interested I think the Canucks should give him a hard long look.  

Ferraro every day seems he is more bitten with the eastern know it all syndrome

Julien would be decent but I think we stay within maybe see steamer sooner then later

1 hour ago, hammertime said:

We acquired 11 picks in that same time if I'm not mistaken of higher value than the 12 we traded.  Next you will be telling us about 4th line Horvat. 

I think we acquired 8 picks.  The point is, if we were rebuilding we wouldn't be trading away any picks.  We were retooling, hence the picks traded for several age gap fillers.

The only coach available that I'm interested in is Gallant. Taking Florida from bottom of the league to playoff bound in one season is extremely impressive. Julien would not be a coach that fits our team.

No thanks, timing is off. this team needs a coach who can develop the young players. And i'm banking on Green being the one to see us through the tough times after Willie. Gallant sounds good too :)

This roster isn't one coaching change away from a playoff run

Archived