The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Article] How boring Canucks style could trick them into trade deadline mistakes

LaBamba

18 minutes ago, S'all Good Man said:

Yah I heard there was a real buzz in town when they opened up a Cactus Club.

Of course there's less to do in Edmonton, and yes that does play into the fan base there. Take away oil and the oilers and you have.................. exactly. 

The biggest problem with the Canucks fan base is the large number of part-timers, that keep a Habs or Hawks sweater under the bed for the team they really like and then sh!t on the Canucks the rest of the year. It much easier and fun for these folks to crap on all things Canucks when daddy and grandad loved the Habs. 

What exactly is there to do here that can't be done in Edmonton?

36 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Linden isn't forcing the coach to play them 21 minutes a game like they got last night.  Linden doesn't for the coach to have the twin average a full minute more per game on the power play than Horvat. 

If the sedins are the problem, then stop giving them so much opportunity.  Every coach has tried splitting them up at some point, why hasn't WD even considered that.  Why would they want to leave? they are giving cushy roles here and have zero expectations.  Score or don't score they still get 1st line minutes and opportunity, and that is on the coach.   

Not quite. 

What Linden said in effect hands power to the Sedins. How is a rookie coach of under 3 seasons to look at that. Hell he's under enough pressure as it is trying to keep the team afloat. 

My point is although there is no one yet able to replace the Twins or replace from Utica those who might replace the Twins, Willie has only one choice and that is to play them while they remain.

I doubt he feels, in the light of TL announcement he has the backing to reduce their minutes OR split them up. He might consider it would lead to loosing the room or that it would put too much pressure on the other lines.

I am just giving an opinion I haven't got a clue about what happens in the room or between management and coaches but I do feel the Sedins, when it comes to their career look after No 1. They now realise their level of performance will be acceptable no matter what.

Personally I am approaching the point (a point I didn't think I would reach) where next season, I don't care who replaces them, just as long as they are replaced. We have a team with a split personality while they are occupying the 1st line and if I'm honest I don't want them on any other line either. 

I want us to speed up, get physical, start to intimidate opponents and to get rid of this "punchbag mentality" We are never going to win respect as long as we continue to submit to intimidation.

4 minutes ago, Baggins said:

What exactly is there to do here that can't be done in Edmonton?

Sail. Ski. Bike all year. Hike and golf most of the year. Foodie heaven in restaurants and markets. Many more live cultural events (plays, music, etc) and galleries. 2X the gardening season. Easier travel. Fun neighbourhoods like gastown, yaletown, west end, chinatown, etc. Markets like Granville Island and the Richmond night market. 

You need to get out more. 

8 minutes ago, alfstonker said:

Not quite. 

What Linden said in effect hands power to the Sedins. How is a rookie coach of under 3 seasons to look at that. Hell he's under enough pressure as it is trying to keep the team afloat. 

My point is although there is no one yet able to replace the Twins or replace from Utica those who might replace the Twins, Willie has only one choice and that is to play them while they remain.

I doubt he feels, in the light of TL announcement he has the backing to reduce their minutes OR split them up. He might consider it would lead to loosing the room or that it would put too much pressure on the other lines.

I am just giving an opinion I haven't got a clue about what happens in the room or between management and coaches but I do feel the Sedins, when it comes to their career look after No 1. They now realise their level of performance will be acceptable no matter what.

Personally I am approaching the point (a point I didn't think I would reach) where next season, I don't care who replaces them, just as long as they are replaced. We have a team with a split personality while they are occupying the 1st line and if I'm honest I don't want them on any other line either. 

I want us to speed up, get physical, start to intimidate opponents and to get rid of this "punchbag mentality" We are never going to win respect as long as we continue to submit to intimidation.

I feel the same.   Past time to move on  but it is not possible with the twins still setting the agenda.

12 hours ago, DIBdaQUIB said:

I am probably being overly harsh and I know Bo has spoken of how he has learned about being a pro from Burr and the twins.  I am thinking more of learning how to play on the ice.  I am so tired with the slow-the-game-down, cycle ad-nauseum approach along with the lack of team physicality.  I want to see a quantum shift away from that and all the reminders of that. 

The lack of physicality really bothers me and is that all coaching ? We have the right guys in the system to play a heavier game , it seems like WD is saying if you miss the hit they will get a scoring chance so just play safe. Conjecture but doesn't the coach set the tone ?

Just now, Dragonass said:

The lack of physicality really bothers me and is that all coaching ? We have the right guys in the system to play a heavier game , it seems like WD is saying if you miss the hit they will get a scoring chance so just play safe. Conjecture but doesn't the coach set the tone ?

There was a hit earlier in the year, can't remember when exactly, but reporters asked Willie what he thought about the hit.

WD said "I don't like hitting". There's also the case where WD supposedly told Jake to stop playing the physical game. If that's true, we're watching a boring team with no bite and no scoring. I seem to recall him saying we would be playing an exciting brand of hockey at the summit in the summer he was hired...

1 minute ago, nuck7635 said:

There was a hit earlier in the year, can't remember when exactly, but reporters asked Willie what he thought about the hit.

WD said "I don't like hitting". There's also the case where WD supposedly told Jake to stop playing the physical game. If that's true, we're watching a boring team with no bite and no scoring. I seem to recall him saying we would be playing an exciting brand of hockey at the summit in the summer he was hired...

OK then I just punched my ticket on the fire Willie train ! He had me on the fence with the way he handled Bo's minutes but if you don't like hiting coach soccer !

1 minute ago, Dragonass said:

Hard to say.  I remember an article by an NHL coach from years back...He said, nobody likes to hit...It hurts and takes a lot of energy. If given a choice most NHLers will avoid it.  He said it takes constant reenforcement by the coach and leaders to build a physical culture. 

With leaders like the twins, edler, Eriksson, etc, I would never see us building a physical culture.  Judging from how the team plays, it would not appear to be something this coach stresses either. 

Our team is soft as butter and often physically dominated/intimidated.  Been that way for a long time.  We have had the odd physical player but they are pretty much left on their own to be toughwhile The team culture remains soft

3 minutes ago, DIBdaQUIB said:

I feel the same.   Past time to move on  but it is not possible with the twins still setting the agenda.

This season and how it ends, could markedly change how the organization approaches next season. With the season ticket base in steady decline (rightfully so) changes will have to be made.

It's pretty comical to hear people admonish the Toronto and Edmonton fanbases for "sticking with their team" through the bad times. Both have been brutal to their teams, what with showing up to games with bags on their heads, and chucking jerseys onto the ice in Toronto. Let's not forget the classy Edmonton fans who heckled the team openly in the concourse not even two seasons ago, with some of those charmers spewing hate filled diatribes at the player they paid to see play. Awesome

40 minutes ago, S'all Good Man said:

Yah I heard there was a real buzz in town when they opened up a Cactus Club.

Of course there's less to do in Edmonton, and yes that does play into the fan base there. Take away oil and the oilers and you have.................. exactly. 

The biggest problem with the Canucks fan base is the large number of part-timers, that keep a Habs or Hawks sweater under the bed for the team they really like and then sh!t on the Canucks the rest of the year. It much easier and fun for these folks to crap on all things Canucks when daddy and grandad loved the Habs. 

Wrong. The reason why Alberta teams have better attendance is much less complex. The blue collar person has money in Alberta. Lots and lots of money. In BC. The real Canuck fan is too strapped with a $1,000,000 mortgage to enjoy season tickets. 

7 minutes ago, nuck7635 said:

Really? It's an intrinsic part of the game. I understand not wanting to define your teams play on it, what with the league moving to a speed game, but to actively deter your team from playing physically (which at this point is more of a theory than fact) is a fool's errand.

5 minutes ago, LaBamba said:

Wrong. The reason why Alberta teams have better attendance is much less complex. The blue collar person has money in Alberta. Lots and lots of money. In BC. The real Canuck fan is too strapped with a $1,000,000 mortgage to enjoy season tickets. 

Sure thats a factor too. But that doesn't make us the crappiest fan base anywhere, thats just pure BS. I used to live within walking distance of the Colosseum and went to a lot of Giants games and the fans there were great. And you're right, if some of those east van families could afford Canucks tix it would be a better building environment. But to blanket the whole fan base like you're doing isn't right. 

Places that have few interesting things to do always talk about how great "the people" are where there from. There's a reason for that. 

Just now, S'all Good Man said:

Sail. Ski. Bike all year. Hike and golf most of the year. Foodie heaven in restaurants and markets. Many more live cultural events (plays, music, etc) and galleries. 2X the gardening season. Easier travel. Fun neighbourhoods like gastown, yaletown, west end, chinatown, etc. Markets like Granville Island and the Richmond night market. 

You need to get out more. 

They have a shorter golf season and a longer ski season. Not to mention all the other other winter sports easily available like snowmobiling. Also backyard skating rinks, and rinks in parks, or even skaing on frozen lakes. They have plays and concerts as well believe it or not. Then of course there's lakes around there for boating in the summer and ice fishing in the winter. There's plenty restsurants, pubs and night clubs. They even have more strip clubs than Vancouver. Vancouver is much larger, meaning more slection, but there's no shortage of things to do in Edmonton if you're inclined to go out. Personally I don't really take advantage of the greater selection here. I have my favorite restaurants and pubs and that's where I tend to go. It's no different there. Then off course there's the West Edmonton mall. It's like playland for a family but unlike playland, is available year round.

I get out just fine. I find it doesn't matter where you live, and I've lived in small towns. There's plenty to do if you're inclined. There's far more to do in Edmonton than go to hockey games. That's just a falacy to justify our sad sack hockey fans lack of support unless the team is actually winning.

10 minutes ago, nuck7635 said:

I'd love to see a link to this quote.

Just now, PhillipBlunt said:

Really? It's an intrinsic part of the game. I understand not wanting to define your teams play on it, what with the league moving to a speed game, but to actively deter your team from playing physically (which at this point is more of a theory than fact) is a fool's errand.

I wish I could remember exactly which game it was but it's so ridiculous it's one of those things I'll never forget. I also remember thinking how the team's lack of physicality all of a sudden made sense after he said that.

1 minute ago, Baggins said:

They have a shorter golf season and a longer ski season. Not to mention all the other other winter sports easily available like snowmobiling. Also backyard skating rinks, and rinks in parks, or even skaing on frozen lakes. They have plays and concerts as well believe it or not. Then of course there's lakes around there for boating in the summer and ice fishing in the winter. There's plenty restsurants, pubs and night clubs. They even have more strip clubs than Vancouver. Vancouver is much larger, meaning more slection, but there's no shortage of things to do in Edmonton if you're inclined to go out. Personally I don't really take advantage of the greater selection here. I have my favorite restaurants and pubs and that's where I tend to go. It's no different there. Then off course there's the West Edmonton mall. It's like playland for a family but unlike playland, is available year round.

I get out just fine. I find it doesn't matter where you live, and I've lived in small towns. There's plenty to do if you're inclined. There's far more to do in Edmonton than go to hockey games. That's just a falacy to justify our sad sack hockey fans lack of support unless the team is actually winning.

So if you feel that way why are you paying Vancouver prices to live here? 

3 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

This season and how it ends, could markedly change how the organization approaches next season. With the season ticket base in steady decline (rightfully so) changes will have to be made.

It's pretty comical to hear people admonish the Toronto and Edmonton fanbases for "sticking with their team" through the bad times. Both have been brutal to their teams, what with showing up to games with bags on their heads, and chucking jerseys onto the ice in Toronto. Let's not forget the classy Edmonton fans who heckled the team openly in the concourse not even two seasons ago, with some of those charmers spewing hate filled diatribes at the player they paid to see play. Awesome

I've pretty much started thinking about next season already.  I hate to see.my team lose but watching the current product, I hope they are way out of the playoffs at the end of this road trip in the hope we will get a change in strategy, some personnel changes and get a taste of a new approach for next year. It would provide a reason to continue watching if WD stops putting out the same old same old.

13 minutes ago, alfstonker said:

Not quite. 

Both WD and JB have mentioned that WD is in charge of the line ups.  They've even admitted they disagree at time but WD gets the final say when it comes to the line up.  Don't give me the excuse that Linden forces the twins to get the most minutes.  He's not afraid to scratch rookies for making little mistakes but too scared to make a stance when they leaders make the same mistakes over and over.  If that's true if anything that states how weak of a coach WD is. 

All coaches before him weren't afraid to split the twins up. All it's doing is showing the young players that once you made it, you're giving free passes. I'm sorry but that's what I want the young players seeing. Nothing is giving everything is earned, is the motto WD like preach just not when it comes to certain players.  It's not about replacing the twins and more about showing that hard works has rewards. 

His NHL coaching career is quickly coming to an end but he's either too stupid or stubborn to try and make adjustments.  The difference is I think the twins can still be effective, i just think they need a jump start or a kick in the a$s to get going again, and that's never going to happen when they are gift wrapped opportunity no matter how bad their current play is.  Look at burrows two years ago everyone thought he was done.  He was demoted down the line up and the guy still worked his tail off to move back up the line up.  Sedins have too much character to give up, I would fully expect they would take a demotion to heart and not roll over. 

1 minute ago, Baggins said:

Bilbo, have you been to Edmonton?  Getting places in the winter can be extremely difficult.  Plus, the bugs are horrific in the summer.  There really is little to do, other than stay indoors all year round.  Why do you think the West Edmonton Mall is so huge?  One steps outside and they either freeze to death, or get eaten alive!  The horror of it.

4 minutes ago, DIBdaQUIB said:

I've pretty much started thinking about next season already.  I hate to see.my team lose but watching the current product, I hope they are way out of the playoffs at the end of this road trip in the hope we will get a change in strategy, some personnel changes and get a taste of a new approach for next year. It would provide a reason to continue watching if WD stops putting out the same old same old.

Same. The main positive I see from this year is the emergence of the new core of players, which Willie does deserve some credit for getting going. His eye for what Horvat, Tryamkin, Baer, and Stecher needed to develop their game to the next level can't be ignored.

I do hope that Benning makes some significant moves to bolster personnel for a first line, as watching the Sedins play is becoming an exercise in futility, especially when paired with this guy.....

eriksson.thumb.png.6a2bcef90f938c1ea2e291016fbdf1c0.png

Archived