LaBamba

[Article] How boring Canucks style could trick them into trade deadline mistakes

Rate this topic

Of course that is what we should be doing, but will we actually go ahead and properly rebuild?  I really don't think our owner will allow it.

• Upvote 3

If you leave the Canuck bubble. This is pretty much what people tell you when you reveal the fact you are a Canuck fan. While I was working in Alberta during this last stint I must have been told this half a dozen times.  

We are Calgary from 4 or 5 years ago.

Although I think we are ever so slightly trending in a better direction than they were.

Edited by Industrious1
  • Upvote 4

More of the media troll-fest. They sure loved to slag pre-season, with their 65 pt bull$h*t

Our surprising young D has prob miffed them a bit. So this article, they revert to 'style points'.

Car

NJ

Buff etc...

Don't see these uninspiring teams getting 10% of our media-drivel, as they struggle through their own versions of bad contracts, trades & seasons.

Gonna just ignore this Eastern media-hate, going forward, methinks...

• Upvote 2

Just now, Alflives said:

We are headed (currently in actually) to many seasons of crappy, boring hockey.  I feel for Bo, who's talents are going to be wasted.  

My only two wishes for Christmas 2017 are as follows:

1. Trump is impeached
2. The team is sold and ownership cleans house, hiring competent hockey people; or at very least give TL & JB the freedom to actually run the team as they say fit, not under mandate of fear of losing their jobs if they don't play ball and capitulate to the owners egotistical demands (squeeze blood from a stone).

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, Industrious1 said:

We are Calgary from 4 or 5 years ago.

Although I think we are every so slightly trending in a better direction than they were.

Correct. 

However the Vancouver organization has a poor draft record going back decades. 

• Upvote 2

24 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Of course that is what we should be doing, but will we actually go ahead and properly rebuild?  I really don't think our owner will allow it.

Stop blaming the owner with no evidence other than Botchford and other reporters making rumours!!!!!

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

Take a team like Philly. Whose owner(& Comcast) have likely long been a league-darling. How much media-hate do THEY receive?

- Traded Bobro for tape rolls(& he wins Vezina)

- End up pi$$*ng away 30 MILLION, so Bryz can drink lattes in Siberia

Imagine the uproar if our GM's treated their crease with such impulsive carelessness? Look what they wrote about MG, despite landing Bo & Markstrom?

- Hide Pronger's body in the desert(would we ever get such options with regrettable contracts?!)

...So tired of the disproportionate media-trolling. FAKENEWS indeed. Sports journos are mostly lackey-wh*res. If they don't comply, they don't get privileged access.

• Upvote 4

TO likely invented yet another analytic that claims to show how fast a game is...As they are way at the top.

Can't blame the coach for playing to his strength or in this example the lack thereof.

These stats are extremely subjective and don't really show a broad stroke pin point accurate picture of anything.  Makes for entertaining discussion but I think it should be dumbed down a whole lot to simple eye tests.

Miller and Markstrom have given the team an extra ten points between them.

The Sedins are a shadow of their prime but still are given the toughest opposition.  

Our defense lacks the ability to score despite doing an admirable job of keeping the puck out of the net.

L.Erricson is not telling yet.

We've got three good prospects and two others that may or may not work out...Time will tell if any of them become stars.

Horvat is our best player most nights except for Miller.

We won't be a bubble team for long we are as the article points out.. Hanging by the skin of our teeth.  Next season we will enter the water zone and the losing will give us two or three great picks to help the power change and a new core emerges.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Hectic said:

Stop blaming the owner with no evidence other than Botchford and other reporters making rumours!!!!!

Well, aren't Botchford, Dregger, Labrune, Mackenzie, Ferraro, and others evidence by their numbers?  Aqualini owns the team, and if he wants a certain direction that's his prerogative.  

"Last year at this time they stood pat, letting Radim Vrbata and Dan Hamhuis walk for nothing"

No.  Vrbata handcuffed the team, he even made this quote  “If I wanted to get traded, I would have been traded.”

And a Hamhuis trade was in the works, but for whatever reason Dallas came back at JB with a lowball offer, JB stood pat and said no to that crap, and the rest is history.

It's obviously hard to know exactly what went down in either situation, but these articles make it seem like Jim just sat on his hands while the trade deadline went by last year.  I find that incredibly hard to believe.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

TL and JB's defiant insistence of their support for WD is beyond insanity.

Not to knock Linden as he was a great Canuck as a player, I think he is just too loyal/sentimental to those he has encountered in the past.... not hard nosed enough to make those tough decisions that sometimes have to be made.  JB well he probably is feeling uneasy himself and doesn't want to rock the boat...having Willie under the spotlight keeps him out of the glare.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, The Sedge said:

"Last year at this time they stood pat, letting Radim Vrbata and Dan Hamhuis walk for nothing"

No.  Vrbata handcuffed the team, he even made this quote  “If I wanted to get traded, I would have been traded.”

And a Hamhuis trade was in the works, but for whatever reason Dallas came back at JB with a lowball offer, JB stood pat and said no to that crap, and the rest is history.

It's obviously hard to know exactly what went down in either situation, but these articles make it seem like Jim just sat on his hands while the trade deadline went by last year.  I find that incredibly hard to believe.

This story is the hockey equivalent of herpes. Vrbata scuttled any good deal, Hammer dragged his feet. End of story.

No one talks about the mistake Dallas made in picking up Russel over Hamhuis, it was a dumb move on their part that probably cost them a round in the playoffs. 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, S'all Good Man said:

WTF Alf? This is what 1/2 our lineup could very easily end up looking like next year (ages next season). That sure looks like a youth movement to me. And thats not couting a potential high draft pick or another trade. You think Bo's "wasted" when the rebuild is more than 1/2 the team next year?

Baer (25)

Boeser (20)

Boucher (23)

Gaunce (23)

Granlund (24)

Horvat (22)

Gudbranson (25)

Hutton (23)

Stecher (23)

Tryamkin (23)

Juolevi (20)

Other than Bo, who on your list stands out as another elite player?  I absolutely agree that JB is turning over the roster.  I just don't see the end product (other than Bo) as being any better than just average.  I have high hopes for Juiolevvi, Boeser, Lockwood, and Gaudette.  But it's only hopeful thinking.  Those guys have yet to show at the NHL level.  We need elite young guys to go along with Bo, don't we? 

• Upvote 3