The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Hockey Card Thread - Brag / Ask / Connect

Western Red

Hoping for some good discussion relating to Hockey Card collecting! I love hearing old stories about hand-me-down collections and how long you've been into it for! Do you buy / sell or a precarious situation attempting to do both??

I'm a serious collector. Canucks mostly. Recently got back into collecting again because of 3 players : Nikita Tryamkin, Bo Horvat and Leon Draisaitl. EDIT: I'm always looking for Pavel Bure, as selling PB lots is part of my income. (Don't jack my angle though, it takes actual expensive cards)

I'm an eBay hound and have wisdom to share! Looking forward to having a cool thread going on here!

My childhood all time favorite card;

Score 1995-96 Border Battles Pavel Bure. Hit the roof when I got a Modano card I knew I could trade to my friend for the Bure edition card he had. Looking at the visuals still takes me back to the day when I knew it was mine.

mC3eByB_hOrZGbV64OadpKg.jpg

Sources: (will add more)

http://www.cardboardconnection.com/hockey/hockey-cards

While I'm waiting for some stories and questions, I'll just say that seeing Nikita Tryamkin cards going for up to $86 for a serial /88 is heart warming to see. His Young Guns are still cheap and can be had for $5 total. But by the end of the year I suspect it'd be more like $8. 10 years? $80 no problem.

5 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

I had no luck finding the Matthews rookie card this time around but I did end up with two Tryamkin rookies.

I usually buy about 4 or 5 tins each series.  Series 2 comes out soon and hopefully I can find myself a Laine young gun or a Matthews canvas

Nice mate, which site(s) do you use to purchase?

I recommend Collectors Avenue out of Quebec, Grizzly cards and Miraj trading out of Ontario.

Know of any lower mainland spots that actually offer good prices?

I landed the 2nd Tryamkin SP Game Used serial /88 RC for $42. One has sold for $86, the last one minutes ago was $60. I have 8 Young Guns Of Nikita, averaging $4 per, I was able to pick up 5x late last night at $3.40 per. Earlier this month I paid $11 for a Beckett graded 10 Tryamkin YG from a guy out of Ft Mac!

A place like Collectors Avenues ships free with $300 purchase, which works for you because you're buying almost exactly that amount.

Please let me know how it goes!! We should try trading a few cards for fun maybe! If you're interested?

I was just looking at Tryamkin's rookie on ebay, like you were saying, the Young Guns can be had for $5.00 with a few at low shipping costs.

All this card collecting talk has made me want to possibly sell all my non rookie cards and specialize in collecting graded rookies of all the stars. Would LOVE to get my hands on a Crosby graded!

I might just do this in the coming weeks! 

@Western Red I'll dig out the Bure's in my collection and see if there is anything in there you would want, Would be willing to trade for stuff like Tryamkin YG. Family coming to town this weekend then skipping across the pond to Vancouver for a couple days next week, but i'll def. be active in this thread!

46 minutes ago, diesel_3 said:

@Western Red I'll dig out the Bure's in my collection and see if there is anything in there you would want, Would be willing to trade for stuff like Tryamkin YG. Family coming to town this weekend then skipping across the pond to Vancouver for a couple days next week, but i'll def. be active in this thread!

Yes! I'd love to parlay cards I have into cards I want. Thats a great idea and I'm down.

23 minutes ago, TheOgRook said:

Gosh I'll have to dig out the collection but some common ones I have are the bure rookie card of him on roller blades and a 99 3rd year card. This thread almost makes me want to start collecting again lol 

There is a crazy story behind that photo shoot with him in the roller blades that made it's way onto his hockey card.

If you've ever read his book (Pavel Bure: The Riddle of the Russian Rocket) talks about that day and how his dad open hand smacked him because he told his dad he was 'tired' and didn't want to do the photoshoot anymore.

3 minutes ago, Western Red said:

Yes! I'd love to parlay cards I have into cards I want. Thats a great idea and I'm down.

Hell ya, love having a purpose when it comes to my cards, I have so many that I bought 10 years ago when the piece of memorabilia 1st started coming out, a whole bunch of them are junk but at the time got them for like $3 on eBay.

I bought a hobby box last year of those cards called 'Stickwork' which has a piece of game used stick in the cards, got a couple really nice hits in there.

Just now, diesel_3 said:

There is a crazy story behind that photo shoot with him in the roller blades that made it's way onto his hockey card.

If you've ever read his book (Pavel Bure: The Riddle of the Russian Rocket) talks about that day and how his dad open hand smacked him because he told his dad he was 'tired' and didn't want to do the photoshoot anymore.

Hell ya, love having a purpose when it comes to my cards, I have so many that I bought 10 years ago when the piece of memorabilia 1st started coming out, a whole bunch of them are junk but at the time got them for like $3 on eBay.

I bought a hobby box last year of those cards called 'Stickwork' which has a piece of game used stick in the cards, got a couple really nice hits in there.

I had no idea he'd written a book man!! I'm aware of his Dad and the boys upbringing, I'm appreciative that there is more to know. Between his upbringing and the way Paddy Quinn fk'd him around... Bure didn't walk into an easy life. He made it thru effort.

I'm intrigued to hear you went for Stickwork!

Those memorabilia cards may surprise you man! Some can be rare. Take some Hi def photos if you can of many cards so I can have a look. I'd need to know what you'd be looking for to know what to share of mine.

Nevertheless, I do want to upload some pics of Cancusk cards thru the years I have. Inaugural Canucks team set, 2nd yr set. Jersey cards of the 80's. 200+ different Bure cards and many 30-50 card lots of doubles. WCE era jersey cards, Brashear, Cloutier, Naslund, Jovo, Ohlund, Linden, Ruutu. Kesler graded 10 yg, Bieksa, Massive Sedin insert rookie auto jersey. 100+ Luongo cards inserts jerseys. Stupid Hodgson cards. Ksssian too.

It's all good I consider it a Legacy collection, some silly buys in there I know I bathed on (CoHo) but theres a story there. I love obscure nucks cards for this reason. 1000+ Legacy cards telling the story of the franchise. When I'm gone, I'll be donating it.

Upto today where we have SP Game Used Horvat / Tryamkin rookies. Virtanen Year One Rookie Sweaters are available for around $4 if you're good with the logistics and are a believer. Gaunce Ice Premeires (highest sought after rc or nearabout) for $3-5.

GASP.

Ya! The book ends with him in either Florida or New York, I think it was published in 99 or 00.

I used to try and buy all Canucks cards every season, I think I have a Matt Cooke Upper Deck Jersey card and some other laughable ones. Bunch of no-name autographed/jersey rookie cards, but ya...I'll break out my bin next week and start uploading some pictures.

One collection I am pretty proud of is a handful of both Luc Bourdon and Rick Rypien cards I have, those ones I don't think i'd ever get rid of just for sentimental value and the tragedy behind their careers.

7 minutes ago, diesel_3 said:

Ya! The book ends with him in either Florida or New York, I think it was published in 99 or 00.

I used to try and buy all Canucks cards every season, I think I have a Matt Cooke Upper Deck Jersey card and some other laughable ones. Bunch of no-name autographed/jersey rookie cards, but ya...I'll break out my bin next week and start uploading some pictures.

One collection I am pretty proud of is a handful of both Luc Bourdon and Rick Rypien cards I have, those ones I don't think i'd ever get rid of just for sentimental value and the tragedy behind their careers.

Exactly man, you're making your own legacy for the Canucks within your cards, it's a personal thing for sure. But I know those jersey cards will/could surprise you. I sold a Stu Grimson jersey swatch from 2000-01 for $25 USD 2 months ago. Ya never know.

I'd really like to see your Bourdon / Rypien cards dude. Upload them for yourself, but its also good to digitize a collection. I'm exploring ways to do it.

May I suggest looking up Kronozio? It's some kind of new software or service to upload or organize cards with? I dunno it's only recently hit my desk, 2 weeks. New to me but happy to maybe help someone organize better or just organize.

1 hour ago, TheOgRook said:

Gosh I'll have to dig out the collection but some common ones I have are the bure rookie card of him on roller blades and a 99 3rd year card. This thread almost makes me want to start collecting again lol 

OG I look forward to hearing more about your hockey cards and experiences. I find that much is tied to nostalgia and memories. The visual memories of certain foil insert cards really rock my nostalgia. Do some digging and take a high def pic of a bunch of cards. post em!

Just now, Western Red said:

What kind of Pompousity is this? I said brag, not remake the world in a likeness of yourself.

Kidding man, whats up?

So was I. 

Just chilling you know, living the dream. 

As for my physical hockey card collection, I'm not going to take a picture of all them, but here are parts of pages 2 and 3 in my collection.

20170211_003302.thumb.jpg.6552017bc2fd207ec0eb223e367e657f.jpg

The Jake Virtanen Retro Black Skate jersey is my newest one.

I apologize for the glare, I only have a cell phone and not a nice digital camera!

Rick Rypien:

la2FRN1.jpg

Luc Bourdon:

2qnryad.jpg?1

I thought I had 4 or 5 Rypien cards, Guess not.

Found an Ovechkin YG that I totally forgot I even had, always good to find those nest eggs!

Just now, Western Red said:

I like the looks of the Prizm cards (Sedin in middle of page) I see you have double of the Henrik Zenith. Sharp looking card.

Binders are great for storing inserts. Great to look at.

Thanks for sharing. Did you get them from packs? gift? ebay?

I see you like the shiny ones. I'll try to post a pic of my shiny cards in the near future.

I'd say more than half my cards are mostly from the 90s-2000s which came from packs, gifts, and friends when I lived in BC. Most of the newer cards post-2011 I bought online or from packs and only a few from personal connections.

One of my favourites is from my long-time Russian friend, which is this one:

20170211_005639.thumb.jpg.3ee3da6a71bdea447c65434fc6e2c717.jpg

17 minutes ago, diesel_3 said:

I apologize for the glare, I only have a cell phone and not a nice digital camera!

Rick Rypien:

la2FRN1.jpg

Luc Bourdon:

2qnryad.jpg?1

I thought I had 4 or 5 Rypien cards, Guess not.

Found an Ovechkin YG that I totally forgot I even had, always good to find those nest eggs!

Thanks a ton for sharing these. The epitomy of what I was going for. That bottom left Bourdon is an amazing remembrance piece. Not to mention the others. Far and above the best of Rypper and Bourdon lots  that I've seen. One card I do have is the Rypien ICE PREMIERES of the 2k serial IIRC.

Archived