The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NCAA Prospects. (Discussion)

EliPeterson40

I'm sure many of you as well as myself have noticed that the NCAA is becoming, or has become one of the top prospect pools for the NHL. Aside from our top prospects in this league (Boeser, Gaudette, Lockwood, etc.) I am very curious to know who Benning and company might be targeting/scouting? If anyone has any info/insight on this topic feel free to post and discuss. 

Player profiles, scouting reports, anything really would be cool. Just want to find out who the other top prospects are and who some other canucks fans think Benning should go after.

Cheers

(First post)

This class of NCAA free agents is all about Zach Aston Reese. Hopefully he sees the success that Hutton and Stetcher have had in Vancouver and our need for his skill set. 

Edit. Somehow his last stat line didn't copy. 24G 27A 51Pts in 29GP

Zachary Aston-Reese

Forward -- shoots R
Born Aug 10 1994 -- Staten Island, NY 
[22 yrs. ago] 
Height 6.00 -- Weight 204 [183 cm/93 kg]

Regular Season Playoffs
Season Team Lge GP G A Pts PIM +/- GP G A Pts PIM
2010-11 Des Moines Buccaneers USHL 2 0 0 0 2 1 -- -- -- -- --
2010-11 Lincoln Stars USHL 25 2 3 5 4 1 1 0 0 0 5
2011-12 Lincoln Stars USHL 53 5 10 15 69 -4 8 1 2 3 8
2012-13 Lincoln Stars USHL 60 9 21 30 113 14 5 3 2 5 4
2013-14 Northeastern University H-East 35 8 11 19 22            
2014-15 Northeastern University H-East 31 13 10 23 60 8          
2015-16 Northeastern University H-East 41 14 29 43 28 19          
2016-17 Northeastern University H-East 29

45 minutes ago, Off_The_Schneid! said:

They mentioned during the Boston game today that cloutier was scouting a goalie prospect at the Boston university game 

anyone have any insite to who that would be?

Most likely looking at Jake Oettinger. He's putting up stellar numbers for an 18 year old.

Could be an option for an early 2nd round pick.

2 hours ago, Off_The_Schneid! said:

They mentioned during the Boston game today that cloutier was scouting a goalie prospect at the Boston university game 

anyone have any insite to who that would be?

2 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Most likely looking at Jake Oettinger. He's putting up stellar numbers for an 18 year old.

I think @DeNiro is right. Some friends from BU and I (more them than me) have been keeping up with this kid and he's the new Demko of the NCAA. If you think Demko was worth a late first, then Oettinger is too. 

2 hours ago, DeNiro said:

32 minutes ago, suitup said:

I think @DeNiro is right. Some friends from BU and I (more them than me) have been keeping up with this kid and he's the new Demko of the NCAA. If you think Demko was worth a late first, then Oettinger is too. 

Can never have enough bluechip goalies! Worth a 2nd but hoping we can add another 2nd or late 1st to pick up another prospect.

Definitely gotta sign Aston-Reese though!

21 minutes ago, Blömqvist said:

Can never have enough bluechip goalies! Worth a 2nd but hoping we can add another 2nd or late 1st to pick up another prospect.

Definitely gotta sign Aston-Reese though!

Agreed! Easily my favorite in this year's class of NCAA free agency. If we can somehow pry Schmaltz and Sikura from the Hawks... 

6 hours ago, rypien=hero said:

I'm sure many of you as well as myself have noticed that the NCAA is becoming, or has become one of the top prospect pools for the NHL. Aside from our top prospects in this league (Boeser, Gaudette, Lockwood, etc.) I am very curious to know who Benning and company might be targeting/scouting? If anyone has any info/insight on this topic feel free to post and discuss. 

Player profiles, scouting reports, anything really would be cool. Just want to find out who the other top prospects are and who some other canucks fans think Benning should go after.

Cheers

(First post)

The NCAA has become fertile ground for prospects.  Generally, draft age players who are going to the NCAA tend to fall in the draft because they usually take longer to reach the NHL or be under the control of a club due to the strict amateur rules of the NCAA.  There are also many undrafted players going to US Colleges.  These are mainly late bloomers who are taking alternate routes with their hockey careers.  

I think that NHL teams are beginning to pay more attention to the NCAA because there is a trend towards speed in the NHL.  Size now has less of a premium.  

There has always been great coaching etc in the NCAA.  Players on average I think are smaller than in Canadian junior leagues but speed and skill have become more important.  Size is important too but that is only one factor among many.  This has changed.

6 hours ago, Crabcakes said:

The NCAA has become fertile ground for prospects.  Generally, draft age players who are going to the NCAA tend to fall in the draft because they usually take longer to reach the NHL or be under the control of a club due to the strict amateur rules of the NCAA.  There are also many undrafted players going to US Colleges.  These are mainly late bloomers who are taking alternate routes with their hockey careers.  

I think that NHL teams are beginning to pay more attention to the NCAA because there is a trend towards speed in the NHL.  Size now has less of a premium.  

There has always been great coaching etc in the NCAA.  Players on average I think are smaller than in Canadian junior leagues but speed and skill have become more important.  Size is important too but that is only one factor among many.  This has changed.

I'm really liking the fact the NHL is starting to pay attention to the NCAA. And the rate of graduation from NCAA to the NHL is now I think the highest than any other developmental league out there (CHL, USHL, European elite leagues), and they are giving the AHL a run for their money! And I'm liking the fact that these kids are getting an education while they are at it as well.

I'm a big fan of drafting out of the NCAA, and I think Benning has been exploiting it for years. But now teams are really starting to take notice, over the last few seasons we have seen a major rise in NCAA free agent signings and the players becoming modest to major impacts for the NHL clubs that sign them. In any way you put it...found GOLD !!

15 hours ago, rypien=hero said:

Kid looks like a stud, plays with gaudette as well.. Has Benning shown any interest?

Yup, Linden mentioned in a recent interview that they will be going after a college free agent this summer, didn't say who though specifically. We do have a lot to offer - max ELC, open roster spots, other college players like Stecher to sell the deal. Having Boeser sign would probably help  as well. 

6 minutes ago, S'all Good Man said:

Yup, Linden mentioned in a recent interview that they will be going after a college free agent this summer, didn't say who though specifically. We do have a lot to offer - max ELC, open roster spots, other college players like Stecher to sell the deal. Having Boeser sign would probably help  as well. 

Loved Stecher's take on signing with Van. Loved the idea of playing for the Canucks but he said 'at the end of the day it is a business, I could see that the Canucks were on a youth movement and I wanted to be part of that'. That reality should be a selling point for NCAA forwards. Better opportunity in Vancouver than more veteran weighted teams.   

23 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Loved Stecher's take on signing with Van. Loved the idea of playing for the Canucks but he said 'at the end of the day it is a business, I could see that the Canucks were on a youth movement and I wanted to be part of that'. That reality should be a selling point for NCAA forwards. Better opportunity in Vancouver than more veteran weighted teams.   

Yah it gives us a shot at least being on the rebuilding side. There's actually a lot of players available we could go after, it doesn't have to be the hobey winner or nothing. 

http://www.sbncollegehockey.com/2017/1/12/14221856/top-ncaa-nhl-free-agent-prospects-for-2016-2017-aston-reese-brickley-pionk-kelleher

Archived