The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Waivers] Tyler Graovac (MIN)

Mackcanuck

Right age and right position to take a flyer on... costs nothing so no risk.  The only risk is that Larsen would need to be waived to make a roster spot, but I see that as nothing but positive :)

Maybe he is just Gaunce 2.0, but that isn't a terrible thing to add to a thin forward group.

Just now, Provost said:

Right age and right position to take a flyer on... costs nothing so no risk.  The only risk is that Larsen would need to be waived to make a roster spot, but I see that as nothing but positive :)

Maybe he is just Gaunce 2.0, but that isn't a terrible thing to add to a thin forward group.

Having two Brendan Gaunce-type players to anchor your fourth line for the foreseeable future is nothing but a good thing.

seems like an intriguing player. Good size and a right handed C. Likely a team would take a chance on him maybe, but roster spots will become more precious leading up to the deadline so a bottom dweller who is going to sell off some players would likely be the team most interested

This strikes me as an odd move but the Wild lack flexible depth - their entire forward group was waiver eligible so something had to give in order to make room for Tuch.

Graovac's possession numbers are not good - actually, really bad - but at the same time he's playing fourth line minutes with perhaps the worst possession player in the NHL, Chris Stewart.  I'm a bit surprised they wouldn't waive Stewart over Graovac, but Stewart scores the odd goal and brings a bit of 'heavy' to their lineup.

I don't think Graovac actually improves this team - he's a decent enough young player, but Chaput and Skill are playing some damn good fourth line hockey for us, and Megna's role is to play matchup/shutdown - and it's hard to complain about his speed, puck pursuit and willingness to work hard - an his underlying numbers are light years better than Graovac's.  Graovac simply doesn't have the defensive two-way game nor the speed that Megna does, which may be his problem of fit in Minnesota as well.

1 minute ago, oldnews said:

This strikes me as an odd move but the Wild lack flexible depth - their entire forward group was waiver eligible so something had to give in order to make room for Tuch.

Graovac's possession numbers are not good - actually, really bad - but at the same time he's playing fourth line minutes with perhaps the worst possession player in the NHL, Chris Stewart.  I'm a bit surprised they wouldn't waive Stewart over Graovac, but Stewart scores the odd goal and brings a bit of 'heavy' to their lineup.

I don't think Graovac actually improves this team - he's a decent enough young player, but Chaput and Skill are playing some damn good fourth line hockey for us, and Megna's role is to play matchup/shutdown - and it's hard to complain about his speed, puck pursuit and willingness to work hard - an his underlying numbers are light years better than Graovac's.

Skille is 30.  How old is this Graovac?  

5 minutes ago, Alflives said:

If he's 24, and a decent player (as you say) maybe grabbing him to replace Skille works for the betterment of our future?

He has ZERO assists in 50 NHL games and you want him "for the betterment of our future"?

We have 46 contracts in place today and I am not sure Benning wants to add one more before he sees what happens at the trade deadline. We may need these open contracts between now and the expansion draft.

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

If he's 24, and a decent player (as you say) maybe grabbing him to replace Skille works for the betterment of our future?

maybe keeping Etem over Skille works for the betterment of our "future"....

Skille is better than Graovac - in the real world, you don't downgrade your lineup and insult a player that has earned his minutes simply to satisfy Alf's age fetish.

Just now, oldnews said:

maybe keeping Etem over Skille works for the betterment of our "future"....

Skille is better than Graovac - in the real world, you don't downgrade your lineup and insult a player that has earned his minutes simply to satisfy Alf's age fetish.

Except it isn't a competition between them... it is Graovic vs. Larsen for the final roster spot.  We are carrying 8 D and only 12 forwards.

If anything it is Graovic vs. Gaunce and just for the remainder of the season... but Gaunce had a good run and is doing well with more minutes in Utica.

Archived