The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Why is there so much hate in this world? (Story+Discussion)

ReggieBush

This forum is the forum in which I spend most of my time however, I do roam another forum (of a sports team) which I will not name. So this morning I was looking through the off-topic section of the forum and came across a thread regarding "The reformation of Islam". Intrigued, I dove into the thread. A horrible decision. The thread was full of horrible comments bashing Islam. Knowing I should be careful, I gave my opinion on the matter in a respectful tone, saying that through my experiences with Muslim people and through learning about the religion (I have studied it extensively for 3 years) that the Islamic religion is one of peace. For the record, I am a white practicing catholic and attended a catholic high school and made it clear in my post.

I was bombarded hateful comments like these (Caution, there is vulgarity in them so look at your own risk)

Spoiler

58a1f3568983a_ScreenShot2017-02-13at12_14_30PM.png.f5b1a2737f028598abc440ea8be24add.png

Spoiler

58a1f350bd32e_ScreenShot2017-02-13at12_29_46PM.png.bd926236fe09280840dcf02714cfd945.png

58a1f33c9ae81_ScreenShot2017-02-13at12_15_01PM.png.bcd0c9cb22d1ab5e37777c30b004dd54.png

Spoiler

58a1f3911ab4e_ScreenShot2017-02-13at12_13_25PM.png.60e414f4aeb1220e7dd794b8941437bf.png

I was shocked at the responses. To be honest, it brought me to the brink of tears, not because I was being insulted, but because of how they poorly they speak of a religion they know nothing about. It makes me so angry, if I were to see "Georgia Boy" in real life I would probably break his nose.

Why do people have to be like this?

Why can we all just live by the golden rule?

"Do to others what you want them to do to you. This is the meaning of the law of Moses and the teaching of the prophets"

I just needed to get this off my chest, because it really bothers me. I apologize if this is not appropriate. 

You've studied Islam for years and think it's a religion of peace?

Sure, in the western word there some, as Gad Saad calls them, "Buffet Muslims" who are very peaceful...

but not all...and definitely not in the Islamic world...

1 hour ago, Dral said:

You've studied Islam for years and think it's a religion of peace?

Sure, in the western word there some, as Gad Saad calls them, "Buffet Muslims" who are very peaceful...

but not all...and definitely not in the Islamic world...

lets be fair, its as much of a religion of peace as Christianity is. If you look deeply into either one you will find the same sort of garbage that fanatics focus on. The modern versions of both religions ignore these parts and thats the peaceful versions.

10 minutes ago, yoshiyoshi said:

lets be fair, its as much of a religion of peace as Christianity is. If you look deeply into either one you will find the same sort of garbage that fanatics focus on. The modern versions of both religions ignore these parts and thats the peaceful versions.

I just posted a video of a "modern" Islamic school in the UK teaching children to kill apostates and homosexuals and you still think its a peaceful religion? This, in a place where moderate Islam is.... ?

No, the modern version of Islam is still pretty terrifying... ESPECIALLY in the middle east...

7 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Islam is no more violent and no less violent  than any other religion.

I can't remember the last time Catholics executed cartoonists with AK47's because they drew a satirical picture of Jesus, or the last time a Jew decapitated the heads of a reporter, or a Buddhist hijacked some airplanes and flew them into a buiding, or, or, or....I could seriously go on for a long time

19 minutes ago, Dral said:

I can't remember the last time Catholics executed cartoonists with AK47's because they drew a satirical picture of Jesus, or the last time a Jew decapitated the heads of a reporter, or a Buddhist hijacked some airplanes and flew them into a buiding, or, or, or....I could seriously go on for a long time

I guess you just don't have a very good memory then.....

27 minutes ago, Dral said:

I just posted a video of a "modern" Islamic school in the UK teaching children to kill apostates and homosexuals and you still think its a peaceful religion? This, in a place where moderate Islam is.... ?

No, the modern version of Islam is still pretty terrifying... ESPECIALLY in the middle east...

Because your one example of a school and the terrorism going on in the Middle East is the sum total of the Muslim religion? I guess you support the recently overturned ban in the US because by definition of their chosen religion they must also be violent people - even if they're from predominantly Muslim countries such as Bangladesh, Indonesia, Morocco and Mauritania?

Just now, elvis15 said:

Because your one example of a school and the terrorism going on in the Middle East is the sum total of the Muslim religion? I guess you support the recently overturned ban in the US because by definition of their chosen religion they must also be violent people - even if they're from predominantly Muslim countries such as Bangladesh, Indonesia, Morocco and Mauritania?

Did you watch the video I posted of Sam Harris where he quotes polls taken in Islamic countries that show that the majority of Muslims believe and want to live under sharia law? It's not the sum total, but it is the majority...

No, being Muslim doesn't guarantee you will be violent, but there is certainly a high probability that you will have beliefs that real physical violence (not just the burning in a fiery after life, but here, on earth... now) should be done to people for really stupid reasons...

Yes, there are moderate Muslims out there, and solution is to give the moderates help in changing Islam

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Islamist_terrorist_attacks

Tell me again this is a religion of peace...

1 minute ago, ReggieBush said:

I'll refresh it for you

The Quebec City Massacre

Ironically we always hear we shouldn't look at one attack/incident as proof in this case I guess things change?

Was that Quebec killer a religious person?

No doubt there has been far more killings, attacks and teaching of hate from the Muslim religion. That being said Muslims are killing Muslims as well.

Just now, Ryan Strome said:

Ironically we always hear we shouldn't look at one attack/incident as proof in this case I guess things change?

Was that Quebec killer a religious person?

No doubt there has been far more killings, attacks and teaching of hate from the Muslim religion. That being said Muslims are killing Muslims as well.

He described himself as a "Christian crusader"

Archived