The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Jannik Hansen Has Presented Management With a 8 Team List

1 minute ago, mll said:

I though that comment by McKenzie was interesting because in the past Fletcher was lamenting that they had traded away so many 2nd and 3rd round picks.  It sounds like this year they are more willing to move picks - re weak draft.

Just read a quote by a GM saying (I'm guessing he was semi-joking) that Vegas could end up with 5 first round picks to not select certain players re expansion.

It's possible - maybe even plausible - particularly if that were the route LV wants to go.

Hansen isn't worth a 1st lol. A low-mid 2nd is more like it realistically. Last years tdl Lee Stempniak fetched a 2nd from boston plus a 4th in 2017 and he and he had a 50 pt season plus his defensive capabilities. Jamie Mcginn fetched a conditional 3rd and had a 40 pt season in 84 games plus his physicality. Honey badger is on pace for a 42 point season and he crashes and bangs in the playoffs so I would expect a low-mid 2nd round pick if it is indeed a sellers market this year.

I'm in limbo with Hansen on whether we can yield a 1st or a 2nd round pick. If a team really needs that final piece that they make them think will win them the cup, then they will give their 1st considering it's a weak draft. Though I'd want a prospect in there since he will be waiver exempt and won't need protecting. Realistically speaking, we can probably get a 2nd and a good prospect easy. 

There have been a lot of posts in this and other threads about the 2017 draft being weak. I believe one poster even said it was going to be the weakest draft in the past decade. Jim Benning does not appear to agree with these sentiments.

Benning on the strength of the 2017 draft: "I don't think it has the high-end superstar that we've seen in other years. I still think it's going to be a good draft, 40-deep. The top 20 guys, we feel, could be good NHL players. There's 10 guys we feel could be 20-goal scorers in the NHL. The overall strength of the draft is good and the depth from 4th-round, 5th-round on isn't as strong in past years. I think in the top 3 or 4 rounds, we can still get players that can play and contribute."

http://canucksarmy.com/2017/1/11/jim-benning-speaks-anton-rodin-the-2017-draft-and-the-plan-for-the-trade-deadline

You guys sure suck at asset management!  Just like our GMs...

Here is what NHL draft-picks are worth.  So, what is a 2nd round pick worth?  Turns out it's worth 2.39 to 3.03 (on their scale).

What is a Top 6 or 9 forward like Hansen worth? 

10 - Generational
9 - Elite Player
8 - First Line, Top Pair D
7 - Top Six Forward, Top Four D
6 - Top Nine Forward, Top Six D
5 - NHL Regular, 350+ NHL games 
4 - Fringe NHLer, 200+ NHL games
3 - Very Good Minor Leaguer, 50-200 NHL games
2 - Minor Leaguer, under 50 NHL games
1 - 10 or fewer NHL games

Turns out Hansen is worth 6 or 7 - and you all want to trade him for a 2.8!  Of course, he's only worth that to our team, not the open market.  No one's going to give you a star in return for him.  You guys literally want to trade a Top-6 forward - for a player that only has a 33% chance of ever being an NHL'er.  And, I don't mean a career-NHL'er there.  We are talking about playing at least 100 games in their entire careers.

Of course, there are expansion draft issues this year which change things.  But, if you go around trading your best players for 2nd round picks, you're going to be the worst team in the league pretty soon.  I'm not saying Hansen is worth a lot more than a 2nd round pick on the open market, just that he's worth way more to us that what we can expect to get with that pick.  What we can expect to get with it - is a career AHL'er.  And, we already have far too many of those.

3 minutes ago, bloodycanuckleheads said:

Here is what NHL draft-picks are worth.  So, what is a 2nd round pick worth?  Turns out it's worth 2.39 to 3.03 (on their scale).

Turns out Hansen is worth 6 or 7 - and you all want to trade him for a 2.8!  Of course, he's only worth that to our team, not the open market.  No one's going to give you a star in return for him.  You guys literally want to trade a Top-6 forward - for a player that only has a 33% chance of ever being an NHL'er.  And, I don't mean a career-NHL'er there.  We are talking about playing at least 100 games in their entire careers.

Of course, there are expansion draft issues this year which change things.  But, if you go around trading your best players for 2nd round picks, you're going to be the worst team in the league pretty soon.  I'm not saying Hansen is worth a lot more than a 2nd round pick on the open market, just that he's worth way more to us that what we can expect to get with that pick.  What we can expect to get with it - is a career AHL'er.  And, we already have far too many of those.

Geez, don't tell Alf that......he'll have a stroke.

19 minutes ago, RRypien37 said:

With his amazing cap hit for 1 more year, he SHOULD get a 1st. 

Probably has the most value out of anyone on the Vancouver roster that is trade bait. 

LOL no team will offer a 1st. You canucks fan may think hes worth a 1st fair enough, but no team will offer that 

Prob a 2nd and a 4th. Somewhere around that ball park imo. 

At best maybe a conditional 1st like say if that team X wins the stanley cup LOL 

On 2/13/2017 at 2:31 PM, DontMessMe said:

LOL no team will offer a 1st. You canucks fan may think hes worth a 1st fair enough, but no team will offer that 

Prob a 2nd and a 4th. Somewhere around that ball park imo. 

Well, I am not a Canucks fan so there goes that. 

2.5 million cap hit for another year

22 goals in 67 games last year - appears to be just now entering his prime

Defensively responsible

Amazing speed and grit.

It's only logical to assume he could get a late 1st, especially in a weak draft. 

6 minutes ago, bloodycanuckleheads said:

He's getting on in years though.  Will he still be a top six forward, when the next core, led by Bo, are at their peak?  Maybe you need to factor his age, and his value to our team five years from now?  

51 minutes ago, Scorevat said:

Hansen isn't worth a 1st lol. A low-mid 2nd is more like it realistically. Last years tdl Lee Stempniak fetched a 2nd from boston plus a 4th in 2017 and he and he had a 50 pt season plus his defensive capabilities. Jamie Mcginn fetched a conditional 3rd and had a 40 pt season in 84 games plus his physicality. Honey badger is on pace for a 42 point season and he crashes and bangs in the playoffs so I would expect a low-mid 2nd round pick if it is indeed a sellers market this year.

Those were also both rentals as they were pending UFA. Hansen still has a year left at a smoking cap hit for what he brings and seems to actually still be improving as an overall player.

He may not be the name brand that some at the deadline will be but this is the kind of value pickup that reeks of Chicago to me considering they don't want to deal their 1st as they are hosting the draft and they have young prospects that would certainly fit our needs.

1 hour ago, oldnews said:

agreed.

Dealing Hansen to a contender means a late 1st at best - which comes with odds that don't make Hansen worth dealing - i.e. a late 1st is in the 30% range odds of being a decent NHLer.

I think if a team wants Hansen, they need to pony up, at the very least, an NHL ready or near ready player who's development indicates a solid future NHLer.

A player like Alex Tuch (as Minnesota is rumoured in the market for a RW),  Vlad Kamenev, etc - and even with players like that there is risk - imo Hansen's value is higher, so arguably a mid to late pick in addition would not be unreasonable.

Washington has need of a RHD and a RW forward.

Why not do Tanev/Hansen for Bowey, 1st and a + eat Winnik if we have too?

1 minute ago, Warhippy said:

I actually think we need forward help more than defense. Plus I actually think that is not enough of a return for both those players even without eating a big contract.  Both would be a great fit in Washington though. Or Chicago.

In a normal scenario, Hansen is worth no more than a mid to late 2nd round pick. At the deadline to a contender, he should be worth a late 1st. I wouldn't be crushed if we just get a 2nd for him though, unless it's a late 2nd.

6 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

I think I'd want at least a very good roster forward and one of those pieces in return if we're taking two key pieces out of our lineup.

2 hours ago, DontMessMe said:

Hansen will not fetch a 1st. Prob a 2nd 

Probably not...but I would say not impossible.

After all, Paul Gaustad once fetch a 1st.  If teams are calling, rather than the Canucks shopping him, I wouldn't be surprise to get a 1st, especially in a shallow draft like this year, teams won't be as hesitant to trade late 1st rounders.

Draft not that deep and Hansen is the exact player you want in a playoff run; he can definitely fetch a first. Plus his contract is great.

For anyone worrying about the expansion draft, we can always just pick up someone who is eligible and has low trade value or even sign someone. Benning is smart with those kind of moves and im not worried about losing bae or granny

2 minutes ago, oldnews said:

I think I'd want at least a very good roster forward and one of those pieces in return if we're taking two key pieces out of our lineup.

I'd like Bowey and a 1st but also know that Washingtons 1st will be late so they'd need to up the offer with another good pick or solid prospect

1 hour ago, oldnews said:

ironic that you reference that.

did you read it?

you're undervaluing Hansen according to Ryan Biech - what he's claiming is that multiple picks would be coming back.

So basically you're saying Benning will disappoint no matter what... keep him, mad fan base. Trade him, ok but Biech sez it wasn't enough, so mad fan base! :lol:

The market will be what it will be, I have no faith a guy like Biech really knows what a GM would do or offer for Hansen. If we can get a solid prospect back still in his ELC that and a lower pick would be fine. 

Archived