The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jameson Bennington the Third on TSN 1040 Feb. 16th

Ossi Vaananen

Just now, mll said:

He told Montreal media this week that he does not want to leave Vancouver re his family.  He says if he is asked to waive he would need to sit down with them and discuss it as well as with his agent. 

I'll wager those conversations have already happened to some degree. These guys aren't stupid enough to just ignore the possibility. The sit down and talk would likely be concerning who actually makes an offer. Burrows has a full ntc and I don't really think he'll waive it. Possibly for Montreal. But I don't know that Montreal would be that interested. I could seem them more interested in a true goal scorer (something they really need) than a guy that could chip in here and there.

1 hour ago, StealthNuck said:

Uhhh, this is concerning. He hasn't even talked to the players? They're going to wait until the deadline?

We're sellers. That's a given. What happens when another team starts selling before we do? When another team is more prepared than we are?

I don't want to read too much into this, but it's already sounding like last year where they left everything too late and got burned by more proactive teams. 

I'm going to set my expectations very low for this deadline. 

There's nothing to talk about. If and when JB has that discussion it will be because he has a trade on the table. The players aren't stupid. They know a trade is a possibility. Why would Benning bother them unless when he doesn't even know if he has a trade to make that would work for both sides? Nothing concerning about this...

Plus for all he knows, we might not be sellers. Maybe ownership call the shots. Don't you think they'd be pissed if JB traded away Hansen and Miller when we were within a point or 2 of the playoffs? They want that playoff revenue. 

21 minutes ago, SILLY GOOSE said:

JB has already said that if the right deal pops up that makes sense for the club, he would do it.  That's being realistic.  At the same time why give up on your players, if the possibility is still there?  Not exactly wishful thinking, it's treating the players in your club with the respect they deserve.

Because the possibility of making the playoffs is being artificially inflated by 3 point games. The reality is that this team is very unlikely to make the playoffs, and if JB is disillusioned by the current standings he will miss out on an opportunity to improve his team. 

It's understandable that a lot of teams are bubble right now and some like Dallas and St.Louis are seriously underperforming.  But this club has arguably overperformed thanks mostly to Miller.  Without his play we could be bottom dwellers.  To me it is pretty clear we should be sellers.  I wonder how much fairy dust is floating around in the upper offices if they for a minute seriously still don't know that the re-tool has met a brick wall.  

I know that now with league parity if a team makes the playoffs anything can happen thanks to LA finishing 8 the and winning the cup...And doing it again just to show everyone just how lucky a team can be.  But Miller likely won't pull a Quick.  There is no way this team can beat the top teams in a series.

Sell.  Sell everything that we possibly can.  Talk to COL too about multi player swap using our new found depth in D for one of their marquee forwards.  

I can see how some teams like Dallas and St.Lious might need to wait to the wire but we don't nor should we.  Other teams won't wait.  Hit the phones.  Talk to some people.

Sure, let's put the rebuild on the backburner, miss out on improving the team for the future, lose vets for nothing after the season, and drop spots in the draft order, only to have 2 home games in the playoffs. 

Great plan. (sar)

I really dislike the Canucks owners.

2 hours ago, StealthNuck said:

Uhhh, this is concerning. He hasn't even talked to the players? They're going to wait until the deadline?

We're sellers. That's a given. What happens when another team starts selling before we do? When another team is more prepared than we are?

I don't want to read too much into this, but it's already sounding like last year where they left everything too late and got burned by more proactive teams. 

I'm going to set my expectations very low for this deadline. 

I'm going to set my expectations very low as long as Benning remains as GM.

15 minutes ago, VIC_CITY said:

There's nothing to talk about. If and when JB has that discussion it will be because he has a trade on the table. The players aren't stupid. They know a trade is a possibility. Why would Benning bother them unless when he doesn't even know if he has a trade to make that would work for both sides? Nothing concerning about this...

Plus for all he knows, we might not be sellers. Maybe ownership call the shots. Don't you think they'd be pissed if JB traded away Hansen and Miller when we were within a point or 2 of the playoffs? They want that playoff revenue. 

If playoff money is their prime objective they should have the foresight to create a killer core that will keep them flush for years.  Rather than four more games this year and maybe next ( but likely not) followed by a nose dive.  

10 minutes ago, Down by the River said:

Because the possibility of making the playoffs is being artificially inflated by 3 point games. The reality is that this team is very unlikely to make the playoffs, and if JB is disillusioned by the current standings he will miss out on an opportunity to improve his team. 

Assuming JB is on board with your internally and nnot publically, youre still assuming a whole bunch of things e.g other teams are willing to make fair deals, players like Hansen would give a workable list etc.  All things to keep in mind come TDL

1 minute ago, appleboy said:

If they move Hansen they will need a solid return.

We just signed a 31 year old for 6 mil  and 6 years. Hansen could play for another 6 years.

Move Hansen? No way! The Canucks are a playoff team y'know. They need Hansen for the Cup run - the owners.

LOL jeez some people on this board really just don't get it, Lindenning isn't gonna tell the world their whole game plan that they're trying to execute.

What, were you hoping he comes on today and admits to the city of Vancouver that we're sellers to please your hearts?

How does that sound to players like Bowie and Sutter who are trying their best to play through their injuries and help this team get to the playoffs because we got some good character kids on this team?

It just bugs me that people dog Lindenning on their decisions and make BS posts like oh here goes last TDL, like they didn't explain that they were constrained by NTC or the deals were just crap and not worth it lol

All Lindenning have preached is that we're being competitive but they're working for the future and we're gonna trade no futures. They know, the team isn't well right now, but they're making sure the team is in good hands in a few years. Not $&!#ting on the players you have right now is the best move.

Unless they have a deal in place, why would they need to talk to players? Waiting until the 5 day break is perfect, so players can discuss this with their families and other teams can actually decide if they're buyers or sellers. More buyers = more trade options for us. This actually made me happy because this means he will talk to players about moving so there is possibilities of some heartbreaking trades occurring to some long time Canucks, to better our future.

Benning and Linden have been saying some good things these past few weeks, if a trade makes sense, they'll make it.

Don't Stop. Believinnnn.

One love, Go Nucks

2 hours ago, Down by the River said:

Benning: We've got five more games until the deadline. So we still have time to see where we're at going into the deadline

Honestly he should know that a five game subsample isn't going to be a good indication of where the team is at. The team has not improved their points percentage from last year (even though I've personally enjoyed this season more than last).

There seems to be zero upside to waiting five more games. The consequence is being late on trades and teams look elsewhere to make a deal or not having enough time to negotiate and potentially rushing a trade or missing out on one altogether.

It's all lip service. Not many GM's are going to come out and say, "We're done, we're packing it in" publicly with 25 games to go. He's aware their chances are slim to none. The players are all competitors and are going to be trying to win no matter what. Last they thing want/need is their boss completely writing off the season publicly before the playoff door slams shut on them.

20 minutes ago, SILLY GOOSE said:

Assuming JB is on board with your internally and nnot publically, youre still assuming a whole bunch of things e.g other teams are willing to make fair deals, players like Hansen would give a workable list etc.  All things to keep in mind come TDL

I haven't assumed any of those things that you are claiming.

I am saying one simple thing: the Canucks do not have a  realistic threat to make the playoffs and as such Benning should not be 'waiting five games' to decide whether to make a move. The time to initiate talks and initiate conversations with players is now. 

As you mentioned, the opportunity to make such a deal is contingent upon a variety of factors (e.g., fair deals), but I have to imagine that the ability to make a deal will be improved with a longer window of opportunity.

I'll wait to see what moves happen at the deadline. Fact is if we stand pat we risk exposing a forward we want to keep at the expansion draft. Whether it's Hansen/granlund/bae. Will anyone here be okay with having Vegas take them for nothing just to squeeze the extra 20 games out of them? 

1 hour ago, Hutton Wink said:

What did Boston get for Eriksson?
What did LA get for Lucic?

What did NYI get for Okposo?

Come on man... are you making a joke? You got 6+'s for that and you'll get even more... but it's a shame bro. What you said makes 0 sense. 

Boston was in the playoff hunt and finished 9th, tied with Detroit for 93 points and lost out on the the break.

LA and NYI both finished 5th and made the playoffs... playoff teams don't sell off their stars. 

Are you comparing the selling tactics of 2nd last in the Western conference to 3 playoff teams? 

"We have five games to decide what to do".

I refuse to believe that management had not mostly decided what to do by Christmas.  What exactly will another five games tell them that they didn't know months ago? 

Even if they're waiting for teams to drop out of it, would he not want to ready his players now so they can prepare for the eventuality? 

Unless they already know that they'll try to sign Miller and Burr then wait till the summer to figure out the honey badger. 

Next ten days will be exciting. 

Archived