The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Should the Canucks expose Sutter for the expansion draft?

Bandwagon38

Depending what Benning gets done by the TDL, should we bait Vegas with Sutter along with his big contract and make sure that Baerschi and Granlund stay protected?  I like Sutter but I think we know exactly what we have in him where Baer and Granlund have more to give.  Also, I am not sure Vegas takes him so we keep all of our forwards and lose Biega or Spiza.

12 minutes ago, Bandwagon38 said:

Depending what Benning gets done by the TDL, should we bait Vegas with Sutter along with his big contract and make sure that Baerschi and Granlund stay protected?  I like Sutter but I think we know exactly what we have in him where Baer and Granlund have more to give.  Also, I am not sure Vegas takes him so we keep all of our forwards and lose Biega or Spiza.

Exposing Sutter may work as i doubt Vegas would take him with his  crazy way over paid contract..........

12 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Exposing Sutter may work as i doubt Vegas would take him with his  crazy way over paid contract..........

In what world does Sutter have a "crazy way overpaid contract"?

He's on pace for around 20 goals, 40 points, best faceoff man on our team, good PKer, plays against other teams top offensive guys. What more do you want out of him? 

Sutter is great at his contract. Contributes on the scoresheet about every other game, and is easily one of the best defensive forwards in the league. Who knows, in a few years he might consistently post 40-45 points a year, and by then we might have a true 1C and 2C that would haul us over the top. He's got size, speed, and a good shot. As much as I like Granlund, I'd rather expose him. 

I wouldn't expose him, I would rather to expose Edler instead as he has NTC and is not a good value while Sutter has a good value for other club down in the road if we need to make a move.  Edler has good value but no value when it comes to future Edler's trade as he is a very loyal guy to Canucks organization and would rather to stay here.  So dare him to expose and make Vegas decide which Edler or Granlund or Baerstchi.  IMO, Edler has more value to Vegas than both of forwards we have now because Edler would want to get out of Vegas asap and will get more value for Vegas than Canucks.   The Canucks could in theory make a trade with Vegas agreeing not to select Granlund or Baertschi for a pick and/or one or two prospects, one via selection and one via direct trade or pick.   We do not have much in term of depth on our veterans but we have a lot to lose in term of our young pro that is exposed for a future potential such as Subban, and others.    

If we lose Hansen, we can deal with that, Boeser, Virtanen, Rodin (I haven't given up on him yet). If we lose Sbisa, we can deal with that too, Tryamkin, Gudbranson, Stecher, Hutton are all under 24. But I don't think we can deal with losing Sutter. Who do we have coming up that  can play starting next season?

Probably not a good idea. Our center depth both at the NHL level and in the prospect pool is way too thin to lose a quality center like him.

Hell no. I'd rather expose Edler like what management was planning on doing and maybe Honey Badger instead though we would probably explore trade options for him alongside other pending FAs Burr and Miller. Sutter is a integral part of this team and what Benning says is a foundational player for our organization. He is a great all around player and he can do just about everything you ask from him.

If we were a top contending team Sutter would be a 3rd liner. A great one at that.

Otherwise he is a capable 2nd line C on some teams the same way Kesler would be a capable 1st C on some teams.

He brings so much away from the puck and defensively.

Definitely worth the contract. Especially with the cap continually rising.

LE however....

Archived