The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Since Benning took over - a breakdown

Nathancanuck

17 minutes ago, CaptainLinden16 said:

I am not sure why this matters unless you get bonus points for spending less money?  I mean if the owner wants to run the team as a hobby versus a business that's fine by me as a fan.

It's all fun and games until you have to start signing the players that will help you complete for the cup 5 years from now. 6x6 will be a huge burden. Quote me. 

1 minute ago, LaBamba said:

It's all fun and games until you have to start signing the players that will help you complete for the cup 5 years from now. 6x6 will be a huge burden. Quote me. 

In the future we are all dead.  How can you know all the things that are going to happen in the next five years?  Maybe Australian McDavid is drafted in your beloved 7th round by Benning on a pick that he forgot to trade away.  Now we are a cup contender.  Maybe Loui actually improves every year with the team like he has done everywhere he has played.  Maybe we trade him to a team at a trade deadline in the future.  Maybe maybe maybe...it's 5 years man.  Come on??? If the team is being built so poorly as you say anway.  Who cares we won't be competitive anyway then.

you are being pessimistic for the sake of being pessimistic.  Is there nothing you like about the team or Jimbo?

3 minutes ago, CaptainLinden16 said:

In the future we are all dead.  How can you know all the things that are going to happen in the next five years?  Maybe Australian McDavid is drafted in your beloved 7th round by Benning on a pick that he forgot to trade away.  Now we are a cup contender.  Maybe Loui actually improves every year with the team like he has done everywhere he has played.  Maybe we trade him to a team at a trade deadline in the future.  Maybe maybe maybe...it's 5 years man.  Come on??? If the team is being built so poorly as you say anway.  Who cares we won't be competitive anyway then.

you are being pessimistic for the sake of being pessimistic.  Is there nothing you like about the team or Jimbo?

Not really a fan of Benning . Don't see many smart moves he has made so far. 

Sure he added Sven and Granny but then again it cost our club good picks....

Do like JB's drafting Tree though..  Loved that pick.  

Just now, kingofsurrey said:

What do you mean good picks?  Hunter?  Do you know the odds of a 2nd rounder playing as many games as Granlund?  Granlund is a very solid player.  On numbers alone he is a 2nd line player.  The odds of getting a 2nd line player in the 2nd round contributing in their first year is less than 1%.  If that isn't a steal then I don't know what is.

3 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Gaudette, Boeser, and Lockwood look pretty good too:)

There will be mistakes along the way. No GM is perfect, wins every trade and drafts all the right players. He has done well. I think if he inherited a team without the Sedins, the full rebuild would have been on and we would be looking at a brighter future. Hopefully, his drafting will pay off. God knows how well the previous regime did.

1 minute ago, CaptainLinden16 said:

What do you mean good picks?  Hunter?  Do you know the odds of a 2nd rounder playing as many games as Granlund?  Granlund is a very solid player.  On numbers alone he is a 2nd line player.  The odds of getting a 2nd line player in the 2nd round contributing in their first year is less than 1%.  If that isn't a steal then I don't know what is.

This is an argument we have had on these boards before.  One side opines what you're saying: 2nd round picks have less chance of playing the number of NHL games that Granny and Baer have already played.  The other side, of which Alf leans, argues those second round picks are like lottery tickets, that could become difference making players.  Granlund and Baer are average NHL players at best.  Couldn't JB signed a couple UFAs, and saved the picks?  

1 minute ago, shazzam said:

There will be mistakes along the way. No GM is perfect, wins every trade and drafts all the right players. He has done well. I think if he inherited a team without the Sedins, the full rebuild would have been on and we would be looking at a brighter future. Hopefully, his drafting will pay off. God knows how well the previous regime did.

The Hawks choose Skille top 10.  They all make mistakes, absolutely.

This is our young core...

-Dobber prospect rating is alphabetical

- Hockeys future is numerical

Forwards: 

Horvat.                A-       

Baertschi.          B+      

Virtanen.            B     

Boeser.               A-       

Gaudette.           B.       

Granlund.           B.       

Boucher.            B 

Goaltending: 

Demko.              A.       

Defense: 

Juolevi.              B+       

Stecher.             B+       

Tryamkin.          B.         

Hutton.              B- 

I've got these rankings on different websites 

We are average rn which isn't bad. Demko has potential to be an all star goalie that can carry us every night like price. But we need 2 more A level prospects before we can really call yourself contenders. 

Lets pretend these were our only players..

_______    __________    boeser 

Baertschi  Horvat  Virtanen

Granlund Gaudette boucher

________ _________ _______ 

Juolevi ________

Stecher Tryamkin 

Hutton ________

Of course Horvat could be a top line centre but those are the holes if we wanna deep team. 

Whether ppl like it or not we should be making playoffs and should sell older players for young talent and draft picks.

Benning has done an excellent job but we need a top line centre and left wing. Patrick or hischier could help with that as they project to be getzlaf and Giroux type centres.

1 minute ago, orcasgonewild said:

Forwards: 

Baertschi.          B+      

Virtanen.            B     

Boeser.               A-       

Gaudette.           B.       

Granlund.           B.       

Boucher.            B 

Goaltending: 

Demko.              A.       

Defense: 

Juolevi.              B+       

Stecher.             B+       

Tryamkin.          B.         

Hutton.              B- 

We are average rn which isn't bad. Demko has potential to be an all star goalie that can carry us every night like price. But we need 2 more A level prospects before we can really call yourself contenders. 

Whether ppl like it or not we should be making playoffs and should sell older players for young talent and draft picks.

Or maybe a couple of the guys on your list do like Bo and exceed expectations?  Hasn't Gaudette zoomed up over this year?  Maybe we get a really good player this draft too?

9 minutes ago, orcasgonewild said:

Forwards: 

Baertschi.          B+      

Virtanen.            B     

Boeser.               A-       

Gaudette.           B.       

Granlund.           B.       

Boucher.            B 

Goaltending: 

Demko.              A.       

Defense: 

Juolevi.              B+       

Stecher.             B+       

Tryamkin.          B.         

Hutton.              B- 

Lets pretend these were our only players..

_______    __________    boeser 

Baertschi  Horvat  Virtanen

Granlund Gaudette boucher

________ _________ _______ 

Juolevi ________

Stecher Tryamkin 

Hutton ________

Of course Horvat could be a top line centre but those are the holes if we wanna deep team. 

Benning has done an excellent job but we need a top line centre and left wing. Patrick or hischier could help with that as they project to be getzlaf and Giroux type centres.

Prospects aren't 3rd year vets.

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Or maybe a couple of the guys on your list do like Bo and exceed expectations?  Hasn't Gaudette zoomed up over this year?  Maybe we get a really good player this draft too?

True true it's possible but if we wanna deep team we need a 1centre and 1 LW prospect. Where we r rn we could get one of those.

Next year's roster might not include Hansen or Burrows and that's scary thinking where this team might be. 

We will probably have Boeser tho but still we might be bottom of the league in 2018. And if we r we might get that #1 centre LW or defenceman. Then I think our team will compete cuz...

In 2019 we'll have our 2018 first pick, 2017 1st pick, virtanen should come back here, Juolevi will be here too, Demko as well, 

2019 Will be a year we look dangerous, all we need is to draft good this year and next and we'll be back in it. 

2020 we'll have one of the youngest and best teams in the league 

I significantly dislike the LE signing  from the beginning. And I thought Jim Benning fumbled the ball with getting nothing for Hamuis.

But he has made a lot of changes and overall has done a great job.

You can't expect a GM to make that many moves without a few errors.

2 minutes ago, orcasgonewild said:

True true it's possible but if we wanna deep team we need a 1centre and 1 LW prospect. Where we r rn we could get one of those.

Next year's roster might not include Hansen or Burrows and that's scary thinking where this team might be. 

We will probably have Boeser tho but still we might be bottom of the league in 2018. And if we r we might get that #1 centre LW or defenceman. Then I think our team will compete cuz...

In 2019 we'll have our 2018 first pick, 2017 1st pick, virtanen should come back here, Juolevi will be here too, Demko as well, 

2019 Will be a year we look dangerous, all we need is to draft good this year and next and we'll be back in it. 

2020 we'll have one of the youngest and best teams in the league 

Sounds good to me Orca:)

So we're looking at 2020 as the benchmark year for this Bo led group.  What if we only reach an average level in 2020?  Could we get stuck in the middle?  That would suck fur.

1 minute ago, orcasgonewild said:

I know I meant to say our younger players that will consist of our future core. 

I've seen a few lists on here that have done the same, lumping NHL roster players with 100+ NHL games in with kids still in Jr... and calling them all prospects. Not very credible.

And while I'm on it, ftr, I think our prospect pool is rather unexceptional. I doubt many of those kids will even get a call-up, nevermind a career in the NHL. JB needs to draft some elite skill with size that can skate. 

28 minutes ago, CaptainLinden16 said:

I don't base my assessment of JB's performance on hope. We should not be investing future assets on today. Today is purgatory. Sven and Granny are great but are they going to be on the team during the next deep playoff run? Highly unlikely. They are support players. They are your Raymond's. Good players who produce but not players who make up a team's core. This core player thing is highly overused. 

This gap everyone took Valium over is meanless. There is absolutely no evidence of players needing to win their entire career in order to be successful. It's the biggest load of crap on the internet. Every champion speaks of rock bottom and rising to the top not starting at the middle. This is all a waste of time. The next time we compete for the Stanley cup we will be fortunate to have 8 out of 50 contracts still In the organization. 

Archived