The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Sedin's Influence

whytelight

Just a question/thought:

How much say/influence do the Sedin's have in the locker room?  Just by pure observation, it seems that Henrik can do no wrong on the ice.  Does WD really have a say in what happens?  Or, is the influence of the Sedin's just too strong?    I've seen other coaches bench or reprimand their vets and leaders for taking late minute penalties etc...   How much influence does WD really have with our current leadership group?

48 minutes ago, whytelight said:

Just a question/thought:

How much say/influence do the Sedin's have in the locker room?  Just by pure observation, it seems that Henrik can do no wrong on the ice.  Does WD really have a say in what happens?  Or, is the influence of the Sedin's just too strong?    I've seen other coaches bench or reprimand their vets and leaders for taking late minute penalties etc...   How much influence does WD really have with our current leadership group?

With Trevor's recent comment about a rebuild would be unfair to the Twins, how much say do the Twins have in the organization, even in the decisions of management?

No one watching their games this or last season can say the Sedins are anything like what they were. 

The fact that they have not been demoted or benched answers the question imo. 

Of course they have too much influence. Whether they seek that influence is another question. I'm not sure they do.

I was annoyed that Linden seemed to put their feelings and "goals" over the good of the Club.

To come out and publicly say a "rebuild would not be fair to the Sedins" was crass stupidity and bad management. If he had said it 4 years ago he may have had a point (I still think it would have been wrong to say it publicly though) but to say it now when they are nowhere near the players they were was an act of interference, handcuffing the GM and the Coach.

In effect he was saying their "comfort" was more important than the Club.

No player and no one should be bigger than the Club. 

With that one statement, Linden has shown himself to lack professionalism and lack the ruthlessness to propel this club forward. It was a slap in the face to the season ticket holders and the fans imo. 

1 minute ago, alfstonker said:

To come out and publicly say a "rebuild would not be fair to the Sedins" was crass stupidity and bad management. If he had said it 4 years ago he may have had a point (I still think it would have been wrong to say it publicly though) but to say it now when they are nowhere near the players they were was an act of interference, handcuffing the GM and the Coach.

Well other things it did were to put the blame on them and not him in the public mind and throw them under the bus, maybe it was to push them towards accepting a trade.

I'm wondering why the Sedins are still on the top line. They aren't leading the team in points, and they look like 3rd line players these days. I watched the game last night and it was a little sad. The Sedins look like they're trying but they no longer have the energy or skills they once had. I can't count how many giveaways they created. Does TL believe that fans are coming out to the games to watch the Sedins light it up? Probably more like: fans coming out to see Horvat, Tryamkin and Stecher. This fan base seems to be moving on from the old core, management should as well.

Its not how much influence the Sedins have, is how little Willie seems to have. We need a coach with the stones to try spitting them up. Wille is so afraid of that he trots out Megna night after night on the PP thinking thats the solution :lol:

I firmly believe the Sedins could be great players apart from each other, and its been clear for a very long time that they are not effective on the PP. You don't have to take my word for it either just look at the results. 

Maybe it's just TL, wanting to give back to the Sedins for all of their years of service to the team and community. Maybe TL is filled with guilt at even the thought of telling the Sedins, "sorry guys, we need to do what's right for the team", like he'd go to the 8th level of h*** if he uttered the words. I'm really curious to see how TL will reward the Sedins on their next contract. 

This thread is about how much influence they have not their play on the ice.

A far as coaching we have seen many players have coaches replaced, the Sedins have more NHL experience than WD by a mile.

But

You don't let the inmates run the asylum, that said, RESPECT. 16+ years does earn respect, but it should be tempered. They should have SOME say in the decision making process but as advice.

I can't say they were all over the Eriksson signing because management group after management group has searched for a line mate for them and Benning's boy from Boston is Eriksson. If they pushed and management folded then the wrong group is here.

9 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Maybe it's just TL, wanting to give back to the Sedins for all of their years of service to the team and community. Maybe TL is filled with guilt at even the thought of telling the Sedins, "sorry guys, we need to do what's right for the team", like he'd go to the 8th level of h*** if he uttered the words. I'm really curious to see how TL will reward the Sedins on their next contract. 

Maybe he is letting the media and public opinion pressure them to accept a trade, I'd like to think so but it is a little low.

22 minutes ago, S'all Good Man said:

Its not how much influence the Sedins have, is how little Willie seems to have. We need a coach with the stones to try spitting them up. Wille is so afraid of that he trots out Megna night after night on the PP thinking thats the solution :lol:

I firmly believe the Sedins could be great players apart from each other, and its been clear for a very long time that they are not effective on the PP. You don't have to take my word for it either just look at the results. 

If the coach is "spitting" them up then they will likely be injured.

40 minutes ago, S'all Good Man said:

My memory gets foggy everyday.  Their award winning seasons came when the other one was injured.

I think the Sedins have influence in the locker room - I believe Trevor has  "a soft spot" for them - but I think JB  doesn't  let feeling and emotion get in the way of decision making  nearly as much.  I also  don't think the Sedins  expect to influence decisions - from everything you see and hear they just don't strike me as the type to put themselves ahead of this team.  I am all for splitting them up on different lines - hope Willie sees the light.  This season is all but over for the Canucks (just my opinion) - split them, try some different lines - bring in the kids from Utica - let's see what we have before draft day.  Trade deadline in less then 10 days - it could get very interesting (as long as there are buyers)

1 hour ago, NUCKER67 said:

I'm wondering why the Sedins are still on the top line. They aren't leading the team in points, and they look like 3rd line players these days. I watched the game last night and it was a little sad. The Sedins look like they're trying but they no longer have the energy or skills they once had. I can't count how many giveaways they created. Does TL believe that fans are coming out to the games to watch the Sedins light it up? Probably more like: fans coming out to see Horvat, Tryamkin and Stecher. This fan base seems to be moving on from the old core, management should as well.

Until opposing coaches start playing their top defenders against Bo's line evrybody around the league still considers their line the top line to defend. You'll know when they are no longer the top line by who plays against them. If we tell the world Gaunce's line is now our top line will opposing coaches play their top defenders against them instead of the Sedins?

This is more a cultural mindset issue in how players like the Sedins are looked upon that not only exists with the Canucks but also throughout hockey. On some level, it's more of a human nature thing.

When you have long-standing team leaders who are the highest paid, who have produced at elite levels, who have played through several coaches, multiple GMs, who have helped the organization through its best years, there's a certain perception of influence that naturally evolves over time.

Obviously they earn respect through experience, their success, and veteran leadership, which eventually translates to influence. The Sedins have been leading this team for entire era, so it's inescapable that players and management alike see them as influencers. Having too much influence is just a natural evolution and by-product of their success with this organization.

I tend to agree with AlfS on this point. I don't think they've actively sought influence. They just naturally have it. Obviously they're going to have input but I don't think they use their influence in an intentionally negative, harmful way.

The major thing that prevents the Sedins from being benched is the money they earn and the mindset that you can't really bench your highest paid players, who are also your team leaders, still key contributors, and who have the most influence on the roster.

In order for the Sedins to actually be benched, you'd have to go against the grain of this cultural mindset of having to justify their pay. So, really, the team can never really afford to bench them even though they may deserve it at times. It's like a continuous loop because of their pay and the influence they do have.

It would be hard for any coach to bench the Sedins. You'd somehow have to change that mindset and have the support of management and ownership.

The one coach we did have who radically went against the grain with the Sedins despite the pay justification mindset was Torts. It was clear he respected and honored their influence but didn't allow that to limit his approach. He wasn't benching them but he also wasn't afraid to push them, split them up, and use them in different ways. We all know what happened there.

I think the new regime came in after Torts and said just let the Sedins do their thing. We need them to be effective so just let Hank and Danny be the Sedins. I think this also plays a part in a lack of reprimand with the Sedins. 

Ultimately, I think it would have to start with the Sedins themselves, to sit down behind the scenes and say, "Look, we know our legacy and influence is strong on this team. If you don't think we're playing well and we need a kick in the ass, don't hesitate to bench us or take us out."

Me personally, I'd like to believe that's already a given and understood. 

Archived