The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Value Of] Yakupov

Pete M

Yakupov has played 32 games has 6 pts - 3 goals 3 assists; his value is probably at an all time low. The question is - can he find his junior scoring touch at the NHL level?

Yakupov played with Reid Boucher in junior where Boucher scored 62 goals and Yakupov was a top point producer.

Is Yakupov expansion draft eligible and would it make sense to trade a "D" man for Yakupov considering St. Louis may trade Shattenkirk in the near future?

The Canucks need young, fast, skilled forwards to replace their ageing core.

Could reuniting Boucher and Yakupov reignite the magic that both had in junior? Would it make sense for the Canucks to trade for Yakupov?

23 minutes ago, S'all Good Man said:

Nope he lacks the character element JB is looking for. We already have one high end prospect thats learning how to be a pro don't need two.

Or at least had the character he had sucked out of him in Edmonton.

For a kid in Russia willing to come over to play junior in Canada, that showed a bit of passion for the game not seen in a lot of other Russian players. People can put him into the Daigle/Stefan category, but I have a bit more empathy for Yak because I think he had a rougher deal.

46 minutes ago, Pete M said:

The question is - can he find his junior scoring touch at the NHL level?

Could reuniting Boucher and Yakupov reignite the magic that both had in junior?

Would it make sense for the Canucks to trade for Yakupov?

No.

No.

And surprisingly....

No.

There are lots of good characters guys on the Canucks and most importantly, that's around his age too.  Horvat seems like he's got his head on straight and will probably be the next captain of the team.  Gaunce was drafted and highly touted as a character guy as well... a bottom-6 player doing whatever it takes to stick in the NHL.  Gudbranson was a leader on Florida.  Having a countryman in Tryamkin wouldn't hurt either.  

There's quality vets in the Sedins and Burrows too.  

It's always great when you have some grizzled vet to take you under his wing, but it only goes so far as most of them are usually family guys with wife + kids.  Having good character teammates at your own age can be more important at times.  

If the Canucks can snag Yakupov for a bargain, I say they should go for it.  

1 hour ago, Lancaster said:

If the Canucks can snag Yakupov for a bargain, I say they should go for it.  

Agreed. Lot of negative nancys on here saying no but those were probably the same people saying the same about Baer and Grandlund. If the price was right, I'd trade for Yakupov in a hot minute.

2 minutes ago, BowtieCanuck said:

Agreed. Lot of negative nancys on here saying no but those were probably the same people saying the same about Baer and Grandlund. If the price was right, I'd trade for Yakupov in a hot minute.

Is a second too much?  Or a guy like Gaunce?

Archived