The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Craig Button's "Best Players Not in the NHL" list (2017)

Darius

5 minutes ago, Art Vandelay said:

Love it. I didn't realize our top prospects were all different positions. 

Subban a higher prospect than Virtanen? Or was Virtanen not eligible since he has played in the NHL. 

Virtanen is eligible, but Button never liked him from day one.

26 minutes ago, Art Vandelay said:

Subban a higher prospect than Virtanen? Or was Virtanen not eligible since he has played in the NHL. 

Well, the list is best players not currently in the NHL. Virtanen is not even in the top 100 players in the AHL.

6 minutes ago, Monty said:

Well, the list is best players not currently in the NHL. Virtanen is not even in the top 100 players in the AHL.

Is Subban in the top 100?  Button listed Subban as Canucks 5th top prospect. 

I just have a sub-consciously higher value of Virtanen. Seeing him as 5th was surprising to me. 

2 minutes ago, Art Vandelay said:

Is Subban in the top 100?  Button listed Subban as Canucks 5th top prospect. 

I just have a sub-consciously higher value of Virtanen. Seeing him as 5th was surprising to me. 

While I'm no fan of Subban (size), he's doing all the things right in his individual game (offense) to succeed.

Virtanen, on the other hand...

2 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

4 in the top 40

Benning is slowly building a real good team.

Hes done well with some of his lower/latter round picks.  Thats why I think its important that he stock piles as many 2nd and 3rd round picks as possible by trading some of the vets that can be traded.

Another interesting thing about these lists : the great Hunter Shinkaruk doesnt even rank in Calgary's top 5 prospects.  They are a bubble playoff team that have some of their top picks of the past 3-4 years in their top 6, what are the chances that Shink cracks that lineup - not very good.  JB should get some credit for the Granlund trade.

The Granlund deal is looking better and better all the time. Granlund is playing on the 1st line with the Sedins, while Hunter is doing well on their farm team. With Gaudreau and Tkachuk filling the 1LW and 2LW spots, I'm not sure when Shink will get the opportunity. 

1 hour ago, Art Vandelay said:

Love it. I didn't realize our top prospects were all different positions. 

Subban, as a defenceman, is completely outproducing Virtanen right now 

2 hours ago, Rocksterh8 said:

I speak true facts because I'd like them to win a cup one day, unlike you with you're rose coloured glasses all the time.

I'm in the same boat bud. Everyone thinks our prospects are so great and yet an unusually high amount bust. Hell, most think Boeser is an absolute can't miss, yet they miss the obvious. He's not even signed to a contract right now and there's no guarantees that he ever does with us. See; Justin Shultz, Jimmy Vesey, Kevin Hayes, mike Reilly, etc...

9 hours ago, Rocksterh8 said:

Did Van miss on not taking Clayton Keller? .....

I was very high on Keller at the draft last year. I recognized the Canucks were probably going to take a defenseman as the all players in their range were ranked about equally and we needed defense. However, I thought Keller would have been an excellent piece to compliment Horvat at center in our top 6. Between those 2, that's a good mix of size, strength, speed, agility, hockey IQ, scoring ability and defensive awareness. He absolutely has that magic feeling with the puck and is one of the most electrifying players of recent drafts. I can't stop saying good things about him, but Juolevi was still a good pick for us. I think he'll be solid for us. 

For the record, I wanted us to take 2 of the riskiest players at 5th last year. I wanted either Sergachev, who could be anywhere from a #1 to a #7, or Keller, who was a risk based on size. 

Archived