The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Nylander for Hutton and a 2nd

Crabcakes

I heard this on 1040 today.  Nylander for Hutton and a 2nd (my suggestion just to get people riled)

But honestly, as I thought it through, it works for both sides.

The Leafs badly need depth on D.  To my mind, Hutton will round into a decent #3 and they could spare Nylander.  They would rather keep him but to get a young top 4 D with offensive upside, it works.  

The Canucks need top 6 help.  Nylander is a centre and he is playing behind Matthews and Kadri.  He is 20 years old and fits the bill as the missing top 6 centre.  Worst case scenario, he is the skilled winger.

Long term, the Canucks have the top 4 depth to spare Hutton.  I like the kid and would rather keep him but as with Nylander, if they're going to trade for top 6 talent who is the same age as Horvat, Virtanen, Boeser etc, he is a sacrifice that can be made.

In 4 years, once Edler and Tanev have moved along, here is the depth the Canucks would have on D

Juolevi Gudbranson

Tryamkin Stecher

Sbisa Subban

Briesbois 

If the Laffs really are in on Shattenkirk, Nylander is probably in the Stl asking price and we don't have those kinds of assets to complete with an offer like that.

Otherwise this proposal isn't ludicrous like others around here. 

2 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

If the Laffs really are in on Shattenkirk, Nylander is probably in the Stl asking price and we don't have those kinds of assets to complete with an offer like that.

Otherwise this proposal isn't ludicrous like others around here. 

Isn't Shattenkirk both needing protection from the ED, and a coming UFA?

10 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

I would do this deal but Toronto would not.  I think they could use a piece like Nylander to find a more impactful defenseman, preferably a right handed one like maybe Trouba.  They also don't need any more draft picks, I think they already have another 9 or 10 picks again this year

I was kidding a little by throwing in a 2nd (Benning always does that).  The Leafs would want more than Hutton but what exactly, I'm not certain.

The other thing, Hutton would not have to be protected in the expansion draft like Hansen, Gudbranson etc so it's a what you see is what you get trade.

I agree, they would rather get a top 4 RHD but would one be available.  So many trades get done because of opportunity as opposed to a perfect match for both sides

Hutton + Granlund for Nylander.

post Sedin lineup top 6 looks like this. 

Eriksson - Horvat - Boeser

Beartschi - Nylander - Virtanen

I think Virtanen will benefit having a playmaking center like Nylander setting him up. 

If were lucky enough to win the lottery, we could potentially add a Hischer or Patrick to the top 9 :o

6 hours ago, The 5th Line said:

I would do this deal but Toronto would not.  I think they could use a piece like Nylander to find a more impactful defenseman, preferably a right handed one like maybe Trouba.  They also don't need any more draft picks, I think they already have another 9 or 10 picks again this year

Trouba for Nylander actually makes a ton of sense. Laine - Scheifele - Nylander?? Oh man...

I'd d Tanev for Nylander straight up in a heart-beat.

Works for Toronto, they have enough center depth and desperately need someone decent to play with Gardiner. They need a good shutdown defenceman on the right side and Tanev fits the bill to a tee.

Meanwhile, we finally get a top-6 forward with some serious skill. Undersized, sure, but he's proven he can score points against men and big defencemen. He's going through the same beef the Sedins got when they broke into the league and he's doing exactly what they did - proving everyone wrong. Henrik and Daniel would be the PERFECT mentors for this kid as well if they overlapped a couple of years.

If we're lucky Nylander can play wing for a year, get a bit better defensively and swap over to center and finally we have the new Henrik-Kesler combo of Nylander-Horvat. 

2-3 years time:

Baertschi - Horvat - Boeser

2017 1st overall draft pick - Nylander - Virtanen

Granlund - Sutter - UFA/draft

Just now, Nucks89 said:

Leafs fans are suggesting Tanev would need to be included for any Nylander deal. Up on main trade boards now. 

You're probably right on that note.  Babcock would ABSOLUTELY want Tanev to pair up with MR.  Alf hates the Leafs though, and doesn't want them to get Tanev, because that would make them better. :angry:

18 hours ago, Crabcakes said:

I heard this on 1040 today.  Nylander for Hutton and a 2nd (my suggestion just to get people riled)

But honestly, as I thought it through, it works for both sides.

The Leafs badly need depth on D.  To my mind, Hutton will round into a decent #3 and they could spare Nylander.  They would rather keep him but to get a young top 4 D with offensive upside, it works.  

The Canucks need top 6 help.  Nylander is a centre and he is playing behind Matthews and Kadri.  He is 20 years old and fits the bill as the missing top 6 centre.  Worst case scenario, he is the skilled winger.

Long term, the Canucks have the top 4 depth to spare Hutton.  I like the kid and would rather keep him but as with Nylander, if they're going to trade for top 6 talent who is the same age as Horvat, Virtanen, Boeser etc, he is a sacrifice that can be made.

In 4 years, once Edler and Tanev have moved along, here is the depth the Canucks would have on D

Juolevi Gudbranson

Tryamkin Stecher

Sbisa Subban

Briesbois 

Call me a homer, but I don't think we should add a 2nd.  Defenseman take longer to reach their potential in the NHL than forwards.  I'm not saying we don't need Nylander or that Hutton isn't expendable, I just think feel like adding a potential top 4 D man and a 2nd round pick for a potential 2nd line Centre might be over payment.

I would rather do the suggested Tanev for Nylander.  As we know what we have in Tanev.

19 minutes ago, stuman491 said:

Call me a homer, but I don't think we should add a 2nd.  Defenseman take longer to reach their potential in the NHL than forwards.  I'm not saying we don't need Nylander or that Hutton isn't expendable, I just think feel like adding a potential top 4 D man and a 2nd round pick for a potential 2nd line Centre might be over payment.

I would rather do the suggested Tanev for Nylander.  As we know what we have in Tanev.

In that case, TO adds the second.

Archived