The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Vancouver & Ottawa Blockbuster

For the record, I know the Canucks will not be traded.  But these forums are for fun, and I think this is a fair value trade, to a team they might be willing to go for.

It will be extremely hard (read: near impossible) for the Canucks to truly compete for the cup with a retool rather than a rebuild.  It would have to work perfectly with the Sedins having 3-5 more top years left in them, while the young guys like Juolevi and Demko not only develop, but also step into their prime.  Likely isn't going to happen.  If we can't realistically ever compete for the cup under the Sedins, then now is the best time to make a move.  

There are a few teams in the league who I think the Sedins might be willing to go to, and who would be perfectly suited for them.  The two main ones are the Detroit Red Wings and Ottawa Senators.  Both teams have a strong history of good Swedish players, they are good franchises.  With Detroit missing the playoffs for the first time in decades, Ottawa is really the team who are the best fit.  Add this to the fact that they have over five million dollars in cap space, and lots of young assets, it just makes too much sense.

To Ottawa: Daniel & Henrik Sedin

To Vancouver: Thomas Chabot, Kyle Turris, 2017 1st round pick, Chris Neil (only for cap purposes, or they waive him)

Why for Ottawa: The Sens are currently sitting second in the Atlantic Division (only 2 points back of Montreal).  In goal, with Anderson finally back in net, and Condon playing well, they are very good.  On defense, clearly Karlsson is one of the leagues top three defenseman, and an anchor for them.  They also have a pretty good rest of the top four with Methot, Phaneuf, & Ceci. Up front the Sedins make Ottawa very well rounded and dangerous.  Their top two lines would likely look (when healthy) Sedin - Sedin - Stone, Hoffman - Brassard - Ryan.  Quite lethal.  With Brassard, Henrik and Pageau as centerman, they can afford to lose Turris.  The Sedins are the character guys that Ottawa would love, they would fit right into the culture in Ottawa, and be back in the playoffs for the rest of their careers rather than rebuilding with the Canucks.  FYI Neil is purely for cap reasons.  He has 3 points this year, an expiring contract and averages 7 minutes a night.  Canucks likely waive him.

Why for Vancouver: In this deal, the Canucks get one of the top prospects outside of the NHL right now (#3 according to TSN: http://www.tsn.ca/talent/who-are-the-best-players-not-skating-in-the-nhl-1.677389) who can potentially anchor the Canucks for the next ten years along with Juolevi.  The Canucks also get a 26 year old talented centerman in Turris who has lots of NHL experience but is also young enough to be a part of our core going forward.   Plus the Canucks get the very valuable first round pick in this draft (likely 18-24 overall).  These are three solid assets in return for two of the Canucks franchise players.

Realistically the Sedins won't be traded, but if they were, what are your thoughts on this deal?

6 minutes ago, underrated said:

For the record, I know the Canucks will not be traded.  But these forums are for fun, and I think this is a fair value trade, to a team they might be willing to go for.

It will be extremely hard (read: near impossible) for the Canucks to truly compete for the cup with a retool rather than a rebuild.  It would have to work perfectly with the Sedins having 3-5 more top years left in them, while the young guys like Juolevi and Demko not only develop, but also step into their prime.  Likely isn't going to happen.  If we can't realistically ever compete for the cup under the Sedins, then now is the best time to make a move.  

There are a few teams in the league who I think the Sedins might be willing to go to, and who would be perfectly suited for them.  The two main ones are the Detroit Red Wings and Ottawa Senators.  Both teams have a strong history of good Swedish players, they are good franchises.  With Detroit missing the playoffs for the first time in decades, Ottawa is really the team who are the best fit.  Add this to the fact that they have over five million dollars in cap space, and lots of young assets, it just makes too much sense.

To Ottawa: Daniel & Henrik Sedin

To Vancouver: Thomas Chabot, Kyle Turris, 2017 1st round pick, Chris Neil (only for cap purposes, or they waive him)

Why for Ottawa: The Sens are currently sitting second in the Atlantic Division (only 2 points back of Montreal).  In goal, with Anderson finally back in net, and Condon playing well, they are very good.  On defense, clearly Karlsson is one of the leagues top three defenseman, and an anchor for them.  They also have a pretty good rest of the top four with Methot, Phaneuf, & Ceci. Up front the Sedins make Ottawa very well rounded and dangerous.  Their top two lines would likely look (when healthy) Sedin - Sedin - Stone, Hoffman - Brassard - Ryan.  Quite lethal.  With Brassard, Henrik and Pageau as centerman, they can afford to lose Turris.  The Sedins are the character guys that Ottawa would love, they would fit right into the culture in Ottawa, and be back in the playoffs for the rest of their careers rather than rebuilding with the Canucks.  FYI Neil is purely for cap reasons.  He has 3 points this year, an expiring contract and averages 7 minutes a night.  Canucks likely waive him.

Why for Vancouver: In this deal, the Canucks get one of the top prospects outside of the NHL right now (#3 according to TSN: http://www.tsn.ca/talent/who-are-the-best-players-not-skating-in-the-nhl-1.677389) who can potentially anchor the Canucks for the next ten years along with Juolevi.  The Canucks also get a 26 year old talented centerman in Turris who has lots of NHL experience but is also young enough to be a part of our core going forward.   Plus the Canucks get the very valuable first round pick in this draft (likely 18-24 overall).  These are three solid assets in return for two of the Canucks franchise players.

Realistically the Sedins won't be traded, but if they were, what are your thoughts on this deal?

How about we trade Juolevi, Sutter our 1st and Dorsett (cap reasons) for Marleau and Thornton? Ottawa has spent too many years building a strong young core to throw it all away on over 35 superstars (no offence to the Sedins)

Just now, Katobaron said:

How about we trade Juolevi, Sutter our 1st and Dorsett (cap reasons) for Marleau and Thornton?

I get what you're saying, but I think it's comparing apples and oranges on three main levels.  First, the Canucks are rebuilding, Ottawa is not.  Marleau and Thornton are pending UFA's, the Sedins are not.  Third, our first rounder is far higher than theirs.

If I am the Ottawa GM I would not even consider making this trade.

At this stage of career, Henrik is a downgrade to Turris at centre. Turris is 10 years younger, more points and a better +/-. So it then becomes Daniel for Chabot and a 2017 1st. Chabot is one of the most coveted defensive prospects out there and you still want Ottawa to add a 1st?

TBH I would not give you just Chabot for both Sedins. Love the Sedins but you are asking for value of the Sedins from a few years ago.

19 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Probably not. It'd be a hell of an ordeal to trade a whole team.

Funnily enough it came close to happening in the 80s. :P

A new hockey book says the NHL's Edmonton Oilers and Toronto Maple Leafs almost traded cities in the early 1980s.

The biography of one-time Oilers owner Peter Pocklington says the scheme called for the entire team to move to Toronto to play in Maple Leaf Gardens.

The Leafs, in turn, would have found a home in Edmonton's new arena, which at that time was called the Coliseum.

In the book "I'd Trade Him Again," Pocklington says Leafs owner Harold Ballard was having financial troubles and made the proposal in 1980.

Ballard also wanted Pocklington to pay him $50 million in cash.

Pocklington, who was vilified in Edmonton when he traded Wayne Gretzky in 1988, says he was all for the market swap, but Ballard backed out in the end.

"I was actually pretty excited," Pocklington says in the book, which hit store shelves last week. "I did the numbers. Christ, I would have made a fortune in Toronto."

https://www.thestar.com/sports/hockey/2009/10/11/peter_pocklington_book_says_oilersleafs_almost_swapped_cities.html

LOL seriously???? Even if you traded just Chabot for the Sedins Ottawa would laugh and hang up.  35 year old 3rd liners for a Norris caliber defenseman AND some more???? Insane. Did you even watch Chabot at the WJC? He was amazing. Way better than Dan and Hank combined.

wow complete overpayment by ottawa, you are delusional

how about they send us a 1st and we retain 50% on the sedins for this year and next

and take some dead contracts back from them so that they can clear at least 2 current contract/roster spots for the sedins

that would be a big enough win for the canucks

but would the canucks really do that even for that return

and sully their relationship with the sedins who wish to be career canucks

Archived